Indian Air Force : Updates & Discussions

Air Marshal Rakesh Sinha, AVSM Dy C-in-CHQ Strategic Forces Command presentation​

This one also seems decent

IAF inducting in-house system to identify friendly forces in combat . Vayulink is effectively a data link system which connects all entities, combat and non-combat, through a single link. Vayulink system has been developed by Wing Commander Vishal Mishra, a helicopter pilot with the Indian Air Force (IAF). it will not only help enhance battlefield transparency through identification of friendly forces in a combat situation — whether airborne or on the ground — through secure, jammer-proof communication, but will also arm pilots with accurate weather data before they fly. trials for operational deployment of the system have been completed. It has also been inducted into the Army under the name Trishul link.

the limitations of the existing IFF systems, the officer said that the IFF system is only applicable to an aircraft and requires radars to function. “On the other hand, the Vayulink system can be carried by an aircraft, individual troops or armoured vehicles on ground, distinguishing them from their enemy counterparts. Secondly, the IFF system has limitations with respect to the line of sight,”

“Planned acquisitions for these years include Basic Trainer Aircraft (BTA) (HTT40), Medium Power Radar (MPR) (Arudhra), Indoor Free Fall Simulator (Vertical Wind Tunnel), Close in Weapon System (CIWS), Additional Mirage 2000 Aircraft (Twin Seater), Ground Based System (Khoj), High Power Radar (Replacement), Design and development of Foldable Fiber glass Mat (FFM) for rapid Runaway Repair for IAF, Six Additional Dornier-228 Aircraft, AL-31 Aero Engine for Su-30, Wet Lease of Flight Refueling Aircraft (FRA), High Frequency (HF) Trans receiver Static, DR-118 RWR for Su-30 MKI Aircraft, RD-33 Aero Engines for MiG-29 Aircraft, Technical Position (TP) for BrahMos Missile at AF Station Thanjavur and Wind Profiler”.

- PSC's report

“Planned acquisitions for these years include Basic Trainer Aircraft (BTA) (HTT40), Medium Power Radar (MPR) (Arudhra), Indoor Free Fall Simulator (Vertical Wind Tunnel), Close in Weapon System (CIWS), Additional Mirage 2000 Aircraft (Twin Seater), Ground Based System (Khoj), High Power Radar (Replacement), Design and development of Foldable Fiber glass Mat (FFM) for rapid Runaway Repair for IAF, Six Additional Dornier-228 Aircraft, AL-31 Aero Engine for Su-30, Wet Lease of Flight Refueling Aircraft (FRA), High Frequency (HF) Trans receiver Static, DR-118 RWR for Su-30 MKI Aircraft, RD-33 Aero Engines for MiG-29 Aircraft, Technical Position (TP) for BrahMos Missile at AF Station Thanjavur and Wind Profiler”.

- PSC's report
Hi, Can you link this PSC's report?

Indian Air Force Wing Commander wearing a Mehmetçik Hunter (turkish hunter) patch during INIOCHOS '23
po40t4d3u4xa1.jpg

(I love the smell of napalm jet fuel in the morning :devilish:)

@randomradio

What should be the better option for us: White Swan or Lancer?

Depends on the requirements. Tu-160M can carry only CMs, whereas B-1B can also be used for carpet bombing.

The Tu-160M is in production, while the B-1B was last produced 30+ years ago. So one can be bought factory new and the other is gonna be second-hand.

The B-1B opens up the opportunity to buy the Raider. I'm sure the Russians will eventually offer the PAK DA, which would also open up the Raider for sale.

I'd prefer the B-1B because the Americans will supply us the weapons needed for it during wartime at very low cost or practically for free. Plus we can access their global refuelling capabilities and ISR network. Pretty much the same reasons why I support the SH. Any such small orders should go to the Americans.

Depends on the requirements. Tu-160M can carry only CMs, whereas B-1B can also be used for carpet bombing.

The Tu-160M is in production, while the B-1B was last produced 30+ years ago. So one can be bought factory new and the other is gonna be second-hand.

The B-1B opens up the opportunity to buy the Raider. I'm sure the Russians will eventually offer the PAK DA, which would also open up the Raider for sale.

I'd prefer the B-1B because the Americans will supply us the weapons needed for it during wartime at very low cost or practically for free. Plus we can access their global refuelling capabilities and ISR network. Pretty much the same reasons why I support the SH. Any such small orders should go to the Americans.
Pls, enlighten people like me, Why do we need these long range Strategic-Bombers? I don't see any reason to buy these. @Rajput Lion

Reactions: Rajput Lion
Pls, enlighten people like me, Why do we need these long range Strategic-Bombers? I don't see any reason to buy these. @Rajput Lion

To add what is already in the referenced article.

Range. It opens up routes of attack which were not possible. The bomber can take off from South of India, fly out into the Arabian Sea towards Africa, turn north towards ME, launch missiles from standoff at PNS Jinnah from a South west direction and then fly back to central India. Couple of these could unload multiple volleys of BrahMos.

Not to mention, they can attack PN ships with multiple cruise missiles per target, saturating the AD. Similarly, new tactics can be developed to choke PLAN not just at Malacca but much south of this.

• Agree

The Tu-160M is a no brainer, if things stabilise. Integration of our cruise missile systems will be critical during a fight. The Americans will not let the BrahMos be integrated and this is our mainstay attack missile.

• Agree

It's simple. It's about the payload. The IA deciding to set up an IRF was a slap in the face of the IAF. It means the IA did not have much hopes about the IAF being able to support the IA's offensives with sufficient strike sorties. The IAF needs 300-400 strike-capable jets to support the IA on the Chinese front, but the IAF has at best about 50+ jets that can do the job effectively today.

In order to circumvent that problem, the IAF is going for 6 maybe 12 bombers, with each bomber capable of effectively matching one to two MKI/Rafale squadrons in terms of standoff strike. And this would add to the capabilities of the IRF instead of forcing the IAF to sit out.

This capability would come in within a few short years of placing an order, especially with a lease, instead of the 10-15 years it would actually take to get all the fighters necessary.

It's great for saturation attacks too, both enemy ADGE and navy.

Then of course there are all the other advantages a bomber brings in terms of diplomacy. It not only improves relations between us and whoever we decide to import from, but also helps gain more influence amongst our neighbours in the IOR and SCS due to its massive force projection value, which is only surpassed by a CBG.

The Tu-160M is a no brainer, if things stabilise. Integration of our cruise missile systems will be critical during a fight. The Americans will not let the BrahMos be integrated and this is our mainstay attack missile.

Only the Brahmos NG will be compatible, and I believe only 1 bomb bay on B-1B can carry it, possibly 8 internally or 14 in total, whereas Tu-160 will be limited to 12 missiles. New weapons are necessary. Brahmos 1 and 2 will be too big.