ADA AMCA - Advanced Medium Combat Aircraft

TARGET

Dec 2, 2017
"Build a jet engine first and design an airframe based on it" - I have read this statement somewhere.

My doubt is if ADA and HAL are equipping AMCA with GE-F414 engine, How can they change the engine once the Kaveri/its derivatives matures on the same platform? Will they design Kaveri/derivative exactly as dimensions of GE-F414 or will they change the dimensions of airframe ?
We have to start the AMCA project considering some products which we don't manufacture like the engine -GE 414, Radar -ELTA 2052 , Ejection seat - Martin-Baker. which are also best in class . If we are able to replace them in the future with the indigenous product then we will else the project will continue as per the plan . Same as Gripen,F-CK-1A...

Ashwin

Agent_47
Staff member
Administrator
Nov 30, 2017
Bangalore
"Build a jet engine first and design an airframe based on it" - I have read this statement somewhere.

My doubt is if ADA and HAL are equipping AMCA with GE-F414 engine, How can they change the engine once the Kaveri/its derivatives matures on the same platform? Will they design Kaveri/derivative exactly as dimensions of GE-F414 or will they change the dimensions of airframe ?
Yes, similar dimensions with ~10% additional thrust. GE414 and EJ200 are almost 3 decade old tech. Latest of the two, EJ2x0 phase 2 already projected 120kn. So it's achievable.

Different versions of it can be used in LCA mk2 and TEDBF.

randomradio

Nov 30, 2017
India

The engine will be designed to be a drop fit in any aircraft that uses the F414.

randomradio

Nov 30, 2017
India
Works well with the MWF but how would it help in R&D for a stealth engine. Most stealth engines have different core from conventional engines. They are more contra rotation compressors, for easy flow of power in low fuel. I don't think F414 has contra rotation core.
It won't of course. The engine will be required to complete the development of AMCA. Just like how the Russians are using 117 in Su-57 and the Chinese are using Al-31FM2 in J-20. A definitive engine has to be made from scratch and will be a parallel program.

We can't design an engine and then begin development of AMCA.

Well then they should change their AMCA dimensions. Doesn't make any sense of having such dimensions where no stealth engine can be fitted. What exactly they are trying to achieve?
We are gonna design our own stealth engine.

_Anonymous_

Dec 4, 2017
Mumbai
We are gonna design our own stealth engine.
Right now, we'd be weeping tears of gratitude if the GTRE manages to develop a conventional turbofan engine to power the MWF during it's MLU which if the first MWF arrives by 2030 , should occur in 2040 . That's a full two decades from now & I'm referring to a conventional turbofan not variable bypass or a stealth one.

• Haha
Reactions: screambowl

randomradio

Nov 30, 2017
India
Right now, we'd be weeping tears of gratitude if the GTRE manages to develop a conventional turbofan engine to power the MWF during it's MLU which if the first MWF arrives by 2030 , should occur in 2040 . That's a full two decades from now & I'm referring to a conventional turbofan not variable bypass or a stealth one.
That's not the assumption the govt or IAF are going by for the AMCA though.

The Kaveri K9/K9+ will see further development for the IUSAV and will even see stealth augmentors and advanced IR treatment.

zapper

Oct 10, 2019
US
Nothing that much interesting or new apart from the chart
This article mentions the first flight in 2024-25 which is impossible. I don't expect the first flight of AMCA any sooner than 2030 but MWF's first flight around 2025 is a possibility

TARGET

Dec 2, 2017
Nothing that much interesting or new apart from the chart
:sleep:Wake me up when we will sign a deal for LCA Mk1a ... AMCA by HAL will take another 20 years. These guys yet to identify the manufacturing partner .so nothing progressed