Indian AESA Radar Developments

F2xCz0-WwAADx42.jpeg

GaN is a big Buzz word nowadays but what type of antenna array will be on this AESA Radar....Patch, slot, Dipole, Vivaldi ? Read somewhere it will be a UWB...so notch radiators ( Vivaldi ) than ?

Well AMPL made it clear very much as @Rajput Lion been saying.

So far the plan(based upon power availability) is of a 1800 TRM count radar for MKI. But, I hope we develop 2000 TRM version. The performance of that radar would be game-changing, IMO.
GaN is a big Buzz word nowadays but what type of antenna array will be on this AESA Radar....Patch, slot, Dipole, Vivaldi ? Read somewhere it will be a UWB...so notch radiators ( Vivaldi ) than ?
Correct;)
We were capable of producing rbe 2 trm's (2 years ago) so it's possible
But those are GaAs modules. Here we're talking about GaN modules which are a quantum jump in tech over GaAs.
Wow, another twitter handle with *trust me bro* source.

I Got You GIF by Barbara Pozzi

People should be aware of their confirmation bias.
Dr. Das confirmed it during Aero India 2023. Nothing to be surprised.

Reactions: Sathya
Actually it is in the current Q Astra MW presentation mentioned as proposed, posted it in the industry thread. have a look in it there please, quite interesting, esp towards the end part some interesting bits added.

View attachment 29786
So, are you telling me our first operational AESA will be GaN ?

Thats hard to believe. Why did they even order EL/M-2052 for the first batch then.

• Haha
Reactions: Rajput Lion
So, are you telling me our first operational AESA will be GaN ?

Thats hard to believe. Why did they even order EL/M-2052 for the first batch then.
You're reading it wrong. Uttam MK1 variant for Tejas MK1A will be based on GaAs TRMs. But after that all Uttam variants in development for MKI/MK2/AMCA would be based on GaN TRMs.

And I remember you told me to "hold my horses" when I said that last year. Under Modi we've made quantum jump in our domestic R&D. It's no mere optimism but hard reality.

Last edited:
You're reading it wrong. Uttam MK1 variant for Tejas MK1A will be based on GaAs TRMs. But after that all Uttam variants in development for MKI/MK2/AMCA would be based on GaN TRMs.

And I remember you told me to "hold my horses" when I said that last year. Under Modi we've made quantum jump in our domestic R&D. It's no mere optimism but hard reality.
Mudi took 10 years. Yet couldn't deliver a working airborne fire control radar or a UAV.

Under his watch defence budget and R&D is lowest as percentage of GDP.

Success has many fathers but failure has none.

Mudi took 10 years. Yet couldn't deliver a working airborne fire control radar or a UAV.

Under his watch defence budget and R&D is lowest as percentage of GDP.

Success has many fathers but failure has none.
The first 5 years were spent filling up the ditches created by the erstwhile gov. Things have started to change now for good. We are on the right track. That's what really matters.

The first 5 years were spent filling up the ditches created by the erstwhile gov. Things have started to change now for good. We are on the right track. That's what really matters.
Lowest defense spending w.r.t gdp. Yeah, we should blame previous government.

Focusing on "self-reliance" vs imports and developing our domestic MIC has been the biggest achievement of Modi gov. We're on a verge of becoming a military superpower. People can live in denial, but the result is very obvious and it's most definitely in our favour.