Indian AESA Radar Developments

Focusing on "self-reliance" vs imports and developing our domestic MIC has been the biggest achievement of Modi gov. We're on a verge of becoming a military superpower. People can live in denial, but the result is very obvious and it's most definitely in our favour.
I would prefer living in present that in a promised land. 54 inch failed spectactiularly to reform defense so far. That could change with building of proper MIC and theater command. But those are just promises.

Reactions: RASALGHUL
So, are you telling me our first operational AESA will be GaN ?

Thats hard to believe. Why did they even order EL/M-2052 for the first batch then.
no, just that they have proposed Gan based trm for the upgrade programs. Per their estimate, it would take about 3-4 years from tech transfer to scaling up into a product development and test / certify Uttam variants. It means the GaN based trm tech will be mature enough to be used in the radar system. Now the MoD/IAF will take decision whether to proceed with it. Estimated timeline is between FY 26 to 30 ie from 2025 to 2029, early 2030 possibly. tentative timeline of development should IAF want the upgrade to carry on. Each stage will be in liaison with IAF & appointed official as well as people from DRDO side.

Screenshot (2).png

So, are you telling me our first operational AESA will be GaN ?

Thats hard to believe. Why did they even order EL/M-2052 for the first batch then.

Part of the deal for Jaguar modernisation. Because of the low numbers, the Israelis wanted us to choose 2 types for the radar, so the second one was LCA Mk1A. Of course, they didn't specify anything about the minimum numbers for the second type.
I would prefer living in present that in a promised land. 54 inch failed spectactiularly to reform defense so far. That could change with building of proper MIC and theater command. But those are just promises.

With the exception of light helicopters, the Modi govt has done well everywhere else.

The biggest benefits were seen in indigenization.

US Navy wanted SPY-6 radar with 6.1 meter to be fitted on San Antonio-class amphibious transport dock. But the new Arleigh Burke deckhouse can only accommodate a 4.3 m (14 ft) version.