Indian AESA Radar Developments

As of now, we are only upgrading 84 MKIs between 2026 and 2030. So the MKIs after 84 could get GaN. Of course, it could happen earlier as well, like the last 2 squadrons out of the first 84.
First operationnal GaN airborne fighter radar are not expected before 2030 I think. Even on F35 if i remember well.

Reactions: Rajput Lion
First operationnal GaN airborne fighter radar are not expected before 2030 I think. Even on F35 if i remember well.

It's already operational on the Hornet.

The F-22 MLU could also get GaN over the next few years. I'd actually argue that the F-35's new GaN radar will be a derivative of what's been developed for the F-22.

Russia and China will get operational ones soon. The UK version of the Typhoon should also skip straight to GaN with Radar 2, it will apparently have both GaAs and GaN.

So all three countries will operate GaN long before France and India, which is also why I am a little bit disappointed with the Rafale F4.2.

In India's case, we are very likely to start building our first GaN prototype radar this year.

The F-22 MLU could also get GaN over the next few years. I'd actually argue that the F-35's new GaN radar will be a derivative of what's been developed for the F-22.

Russia and China will get operational ones soon. The UK version of the Typhoon should also skip straight to GaN with Radar 2, it will apparently have both GaAs and GaN.

So all three countries will operate GaN long before France and India, which is also why I am a little bit disappointed with the Rafale F4.2.

In India's case, we are very likely to start building our first GaN prototype radar this year.
I am still hopeful(against hope) about GaN radar for first MKI MLU batch and LCA MK2.

Also, people are not paying attention (in all this GaN talk) about something that is even better than GaN tech wise. The 'radio-photonic' radar which the Russians are developing for future Su-57 derivatives and their 6th gen fighter. That would make even the GaN tech redundant.

DRDO should also pursue the development of 'radio-photonic' based radars.

@marich01 anything you have on this front☝

Reactions: marich01

+1 for SH18. Thanks.

I have a big doubt about GaN for russia, as they always use PESA radars.... will they shortcut AsGa ?

In France GaN is already on track, but the remaining problem is... cost !

I am still hopeful(against hope) about GaN radar for first MKI MLU batch and LCA MK2.

Also, people are not paying attention (in all this GaN talk) about something that is even better than GaN tech wise. The 'radio-photonic' radar which the Russians are developing for future Su-57 derivatives and their 6th gen fighter. That would make even the GaN tech redundant.

The MLU is expected to happen in 2026, so that's not enough time for GaN.

Photonics is in the works. But both GaN and photonics are necessary.

+1 for SH18. Thanks.

I have a big doubt about GaN for russia, as they always use PESA radars.... will they shortcut AsGa ?

I think they are more constrained by the slow pace of Su-57's development. I don't think they are skipping straight to GaN though, the first 76 jets could have GaAs. The first two regiments are Stage 1 and the last regiment could be the IOC model of Stage 2. We have to wait until 2027.

In France GaN is already on track, but the remaining problem is... cost !

French projects are too small, so it takes time to get new tech in. That's the same argument made for FCAS, about why a consortium is necessary to pay for new tech, which was not possible for Rafale, even the M2000. Otoh, Sweden played it right, they managed to combine their own requirement with export orders to pay for new tech.

Nope no idea, but Varun K or someone else mentioned one time of DRDO developing such tech. At present GaAs/GAN tech is what the industry have as ToT & now built into products, should take 48 months for that.

• Love
Reactions: Rajput Lion
Nope no idea, but Varun K or someone else mentioned one time of DRDO developing such tech. At present GaAs/GAN tech is what the industry have as ToT & now built into products, should take 48 months for that.

This is exactly what I's looking for. Thanks(y)

So, now our R&D is at par with other Superpower MIC. Photonics based radar should make a nice stealth-counter. All the best to our scientists.

R&D might be, but industry has a lot to catch up to. Given many such stuff need significant investment, and with mandatory local content/20% Indian value addition clause, it will take time before we reach a stage to mature mfg of such items, most likely jv with Israel/Rus will happen in some cases.

A good vantage point is coming across research project/articles/journals that are sponsored by DST/DRDO grant, this field is so vast a lot of research work is going on, I saw in one IIT prof cv recently.

Screenshot (1).png

Also this below seminar thing last monh

French projects are too small, so it takes time to get new tech in. That's the same argument made for FCAS, about why a consortium is necessary to pay for new tech, which was not possible for Rafale, even the M2000. Otoh, Sweden played it right, they managed to combine their own requirement with export orders to pay for new tech.
It was the case for Rafale before the exports deals.
Note that Rafale international GIE made a good job by accepting a cut in order to leave money for AESA radar. I think it is a key in the Rafale exports success.

It was the case for Rafale before the exports deals.
Note that Rafale international GIE made a good job by accepting a cut in order to leave money for AESA radar. I think it is a key in the Rafale exports success.

Something or the other has to get cut on the Rafale due to affordability; helmet, IRST etc. Collaboration will change that.