Sukhoi Su-30MKI

Happened to check out the latest episode of Saurav Jha's Indigenous Appreciation Hour on the DDR channel on YouTube last night . You guys ought to check it out too.

He says the Super Sukhoi upgrade has already commenced & would proceed with purely indigenous solutions lasting all thru this decade. He didn't specify the numbers which'd be upgraded nor if they would come with an engine upgrade from Russia coz nobody asked him .

As far as the rest of the upgrades go viz DC MAWS , LWR , RWR , IRST , etc are all going to be desi solutions . I guess all this information is now pretty much in the public domain & well understood.

As far as the AESA program goes , he's made a rather startling revelation . Apparently the Uttam program has been shut down as it achieved it's aims . Right now there are 4 AESA programs on concurrently for the Mk-1A , Mk-2 , AMCA ( I think he was referring to the Mk-1 version here as he didn't specify the version ) & the MKI . I'm further guessing the TEDBF would have the same version as the AMCA Mk-1 & that the development for the Mk-2 version of the AMCA hasn't yet commenced for obvious reasons .

Happened to check out the latest episode of Saurav Jha's Indigenous Appreciation Hour on the DDR channel on YouTube last night . You guys ought to check it out too.

He says the Super Sukhoi upgrade has already commenced & would proceed with purely indigenous solutions lasting all thru this decade. He didn't specify the numbers which'd be upgraded nor if they would come with an engine upgrade from Russia coz nobody asked him .

As far as the rest of the upgrades go viz DC MAWS , LWR , RWR , IRST , etc are all going to be desi solutions . I guess all this is now in the public domain & well understood.

As far as the AESA program goes , he's made a rather startling revelation . Apparently the Uttam program has been shut down as it achieved it's aims . Right now there are 4 AESA programs on concurrently for the Mk-1A , Mk-2 , AMCA ( I think he was referring to the Mk-1 version here as he didn't specify the version ) & the MKI . I'm further guessing the TEDBF would have the same version as the AMCA Mk-1 & that the development for the Mk-2 version of the AMCA hasn't yet commenced for obvious reasons .
Take everything he says with a pinch of salt. Actually 2 pinches of salt.

Any specific reason ? Though I admit all these characters have their quirks but they still remain go to people as far as the last word on defence journalism in MSM goes . I mean I'd still set more stock in a Saurav Jha or even a PKS for that matter although he's not much in the limelight than a Snehesh Alex Phillip or a Sanjay Unnithan & these are the better names I've quoted as opposed to say a Rajat Pandit who's still tolerable or an Ajai Shukla .

Then there's the likes of Pravin Sawhney who's come up with a new book with his gf Ghazala Wahab which is being quoted by RaGa of all people in PCs.

Any specific reason ? Though I admit all these characters have their quirks but they still remain go to people as far as the last word on defence journalism in MSM goes . I mean I'd still set more stock in a Saurav Jha or even a PKS for that matter although he's not much in the limelight than a Snehesh Alex Phillip or a Sanjay Unnithan & these are the better names I've quoted as opposed to say a Rajat Pandit who's still tolerable or an Ajai Shukla .

Then there's the likes of Pravin Sawhney who's come up with a new book with his gf Ghazala Wahab which is being quoted by RaGa of all people in PCs.
He's more or less correct. But there are things which he says which he wants to happen.

And it's out there with everyone trying to be a journalist in this sector. I am just saying to think before what he may claim.

One thing he has been saying is funds problem with Tejas MK2, i believed him untill @Ashwin proved otherwise. So just be cautious.

As far as the rest of the upgrades go viz DC MAWS , LWR , RWR , IRST , etc are all going to be desi solutions . I guess all this information is now pretty much in the public domain & well understood.

That's a huge number of Aesa radars..

Any missile provider would be happy to integrate with Uttam.

Just 2 missile per radar gives 2000+ missile

Asraam & Derby are already in lead..

Reactions: _Anonymous_
He's more or less correct. But there are things which he says which he wants to happen.
Everybody loves doing that though tbh I've yet to come across him storytelling unlike in house version here .
And it's out there with everyone trying to be a journalist in this sector. I am just saying to think before what he may claim.
I think we ought to make certain allowances for individual idiosyncrasies just as we tolerate PKS & his alien life & technology masala he indulges in from time to time .

One thing he has been saying is funds problem with Tejas MK2, i believed him untill @Ashwin proved otherwise. So just be cautious.
Funds are still a problem. Though IAF , MoD , DRDO / ADA & HAL seem committed to the program , it's not yet been allocated funds. The prototype being developed / developed is using residual funds of the FSED program . That's what the entire BRF gang including Indranil Nilesh Rane & Sriram have been constantly yelling about . Jha isn't the lone voice here by any means .

The funds left is good enough for a prototype or 2 . Beyond that if deadlines are to be adhered to , GoI needs to loosen it's purse strings or the IAF would need to loosen it's over-all drawstrings when the PLAAF comes calling.

There's some major issue going on pitching IAF vs MoD / GoI on the entire MRFA tender which is having a fallout on the progress of the Mk-2 program.

Funds are still a problem. Though IAF , MoD , DRDO / ADA & HAL seem committed to the program , it's not yet been allocated funds. The prototype being developed / developed is using residual funds of the FSED program . That's what the entire BRF gang including Indranil Nilesh Rane & Sriram have been constantly yelling about . Jha isn't the lone voice here by any means .
20220812_184804.png

That covers the FSED program of the development cycle , doesn't it or are you suggesting these funds are for the full development cycle of the Mk-2 including the full complement of prototypes whatever the numbers are , all the way till FOC is received & LSP commences ?

How does one account for funding of prototypes ? Is it under the same FSED head or under a separate head ? Do you have any idea ?

• Haha
Reactions: Innominate
That covers the FSED program of the development cycle , doesn't it or are you suggesting these funds are for the full development cycle of the Mk-2 including the full complement of prototypes whatever the numbers are , all the way till FOC is received & LSP commences ?

How does one account for funding of prototypes ? Is it under the same FSED head or under a separate head ? Do you have any idea ?
I am just suggesting that his notion of funds from Mk1 being used is not true. Funds for mk2 are there.

Are they enough, I don't know.

I am just suggesting that his notion of funds from Mk1 being used is not true. Funds for mk2 are there.

Are they enough, I don't know.
I don't think anyone made the case that the Mk-2 development was being done with residual funds of the Mk-1 program & this includes Jha. Where did you get such a notion from ? Funds for the FSED program were sanctioned long ago with the programs listed in the SS you've linked .

Is it enough ? That's what the BRF gang is arguing it isn't . From it all kinds of conspiracy threads are being woven .

• Haha
Reactions: Innominate
I don't think anyone made the case that the Mk-2 development was being done with residual funds of the Mk-1 program & this includes Jha. Where did you get such a notion from ? Funds for the FSED program were sanctioned long ago with the programs listed in the SS you've linked .

Is it enough ? That's what the BRF gang is arguing it isn't . From it all kinds of conspiracy threads are being woven .
As I said, I cannot say the amount is enough or not. But in my opinion if funds is a problem HAL would surely have went to MoD for the same and MoD would have instructed something.

But if the problem is actually there, I hope it's resolved.

The Indian part of the MKI upgrades began a long time ago. It's the Russian part we are waiting for.

But yeah, many of these journos have been stretching the truth a bit to get eyeballs.

Someone should clarify, whether this funding management has slowed down the Mk2 program.
I remember HVT tweeting Jigs are ready to a question whether mk2 is ready..

Someone should clarify, whether this funding management has slowed down the Mk2 program.
I remember HVT tweeting Jigs are ready to a question whether mk2 is ready..
The Mk2 since last few years as far as I can understand is not facing some serious issues. Anything major which you can point out.

The delays currently are reasonable imo. A lot of stuff which were tested in software will not function the same way in real world.

Reactions: Paro and Sathya
As I said, I cannot say the amount is enough or not. But in my opinion if funds is a problem HAL would surely have went to MoD for the same and MoD would have instructed something.

But if the problem is actually there, I hope it's resolved.
Logically speaking what you say is right yet there have been persistent questions from some quarters regarding the funding part . Why ? Tbh, I've no clue . Yet those who've raised these issues aren't exactly naysayers or indulge in raising alarm or even make outrageous statements to attract eyeballs but are among the foremost of all the backers of the Tejas program & everything indigenous since the past 2 decades.

I, myself , have been reading their posts regularly since 2007 onwards on BRF . So I'd give what they say more credibility given their information sources are much better than yours mine & ours .

Hence the chances of this being a storm in the tea cup , (like what the ATAGS was out here a few months ago when all sorts of tests were still supposed to have been carried out & in between came news that the electric drives were to replaced by hydraulic ones etc were soon dashed by a quiet statement released by the IA that the ATAGS cleared all tests) , seems improbable though not impossible.