Mirage 2000H, MiG-29UPG, Jaguar DARIN III - Medium Multirole Aircraft of IAF

Although IAF chief hasn't said much on LCA MK1, HAL is maintaining that IAF is on board to replace all its Jaguar, Mig29 and Mirage 2000s with LCA MK2.

• Agree
Reactions: TARGET
Very good gesture by French Armée de l'Air. Will help IAF to compensate for the loss of a couple of trainers in recent years.
Perks of signing Rafale deal, and indeed a good gesture by France political leadership. Goes to show Indo French relationship durability, dependability and mutual interests...

News article mention, Upgrade Kits were in excess because of loss of jets. And the trainers we get now could be upgrade d withose kits..

All three were upgraded jets. Even the one last month was performing acceptance tests post upgrade.

Anyway, I think they are referring to how the French have delivered more kits than we can upgrade, so these jets can be upgraded on priority. If you notice, instead of quoting the source, the article paraphrases, so information is lost when these mahan defence journos paraphrase.

The best articles are those that have the source named and "what they say in quotes".
Very good gesture by French Armée de l'Air. Will help IAF to compensate for the loss of a couple of trainers in recent years.

It's not a gesture. Any jet we buy for use, we gotta upgrade, and that's major money in the bank for them. Each upgrade is over $40M.

Not sure how reliable is that handle.
But any news regarding it. ?
That seems doubtful to me. I'm especially skeptical about Morocco, which does not operate the type at all (instead they have a custom version of the Mirage F1, which was dubbed Mirage F2000).

In any case: I doubt the Emirates would give away their Mirage 2000-9 fleet before they receive their Rafale fleet. Their Dash-9 were even recently modernized to remain relevant for that interim period. We'll see what happens to them in several years.

Reactions: Sathya
Does the French Mirage 2000 come equipped with an AESA radar ?
No. The Rafale is the only fighter in French service that is equipped with an AESA radar.

They tested out Aesa radar in Mirage nose.
Not just the radar, but the entire Rafale nose, including the OSF.
f1000007.jpg

However, this testbench configuration was never considered as a potential upgrade for the Mirage 2000 fleet. In fact, from what I heard, the added weight and length of this nose made the Mirage much harder to fly -- something acceptable for a test aircraft, but not in an operational one!

In fact, from what I heard, the added weight and length of this nose made the Mirage much harder to fly -- something acceptable for a test aircraft, but not in an operational one!
When did this test take place ? And was this the reason the Mirages weren't equipped with an AESA radar or were there other reasons too ?