LCA Tejas Mk1 & Mk1A - News and discussions

Why? The regular Kaveri is already ready for integration with Tejas. The same engine, albeit modified, will be used to power the IUSAV.
Not much of an amateur - expert as you, but from whatever I've read about aviation out here & elsewhere, do tell of the first instance where a newly concieved & developed engine would have been mated with a newly conceived and developed AC. And I'm not referring to the dawn of aviation.

If not, why should Tejas be the first. Then again, if ADA / DRDO / GTRE are full of optimists, hell, why not?

Not much of an amateur - expert as you, but from whatever I've read about aviation out here & elsewhere, do tell of the first instance where a newly concieved & developed engine would have been mated with a newly conceived and developed AC. And I'm not referring to the dawn of aviation.

If not, why should Tejas be the first. Then again, if ADA / DRDO / GTRE are full of optimists, hell, why not?

Originally, Kaveri was supposed to be tested on a Mig-29. But now they've decided the engine is good enough to be flown on the Tejas right away. Plus the French are involved. Safran will assist with the integration and flight testing of the engine.

Tejas is now an old hat, not a new aircraft.

Originally, Kaveri was supposed to be tested on a Mig-29. But now they've decided the engine is good enough to be flown on the Tejas right away. Plus the French are involved. Safran will assist with the integration and flight testing of the engine.

Tejas is now an old hat, not a new aircraft.
Any sources? It's got to be more than your word. If yes, when's it scheduled for next year?

Any sources? It's got to be more than your word. If yes, when's it scheduled for next year?

Source for?

The Safran audit has been completed as of a few months ago. Whether integration work has already started, I don't know, but the original goal was to have it flying by Jan/Feb 2019 and finish testing and have it certified by late 2020. Personally, I believe the entire program is late by a year, so push the two dates by 1 year.

I suppose integration will happen next year, with first flight by late 2019 or early 2020.

but the original goal was to have it flying by Jan/Feb 2019 and finish testing and have it certified by late 2020. Personally, I believe the entire program is late by a year, so push the two dates by 1 year.

I suppose integration will happen next year, with first flight by late 2019 or early 2020.

. Sources for this. Look, I'm all for it. But at my age, when confronted with the system ( GoI & it's various bodies) , I'd rather discretion is the better part of valour.

I can see where your Optimism is coming from. But I'm not convinced. Meanwhile, from sometime after Aero India, you've gone to end of 2020 & added a year too. See what I mean.

Correct unverified, unreliable engine should be used in certified and proven airframe. Mig29 is the right candidate for such supersonic testing, but ADA would have to procure such test bed from Russia.

Last edited:
. Sources for this. Look, I'm all for it. But at my age, when confronted with the system ( GoI & it's various bodies) , I'd rather discretion is the better part of valour.

I can see where your Optimism is coming from. But I'm not convinced. Meanwhile, from sometime after Aero India, you've gone to end of 2020 & added a year too. See what I mean.

This article is originally from 2016 or 2017.
French boost to jet engine plan, Kaveri project being revived

Also, I didn't decide the Aero India 2019 date, it was mentioned by the DRDO Chief.

DRDO Chief says we will see it flying before AI 19. I pointed out it can happen in 2019, but not before AI, but by end of 2019. With a little bit of leeway, one can even push the date to early 2020. Then I believe we require 1 year to certify the engine. So it's only my estimation because I don't believe in the DRDO Chief's estimation.

Even I am optimistic, but to certify it to be a reliable powerplant, and draw the characteristic data, and life you need several years of testing. We need something strategic initiative and planning such as its civilian variants and developed it as a family, with clear objective, financial, and business roadmap for the GTRE and associated ventures, which only could attract the pvt entities to put resources in R&D and manufacturing technologies.

Why this hoopla about meteor, With the elta radar, it will be qualified on the
BVR: Derby and Python series, Astra I/II,
WVR: R73M2 CCM, Asraam
Ashm: KH31, KH35U, KH59MK,
SPM: DRDO ARM,

I don't see why Ajai is complaining about this.

He is creating an issue around Meteor, just as most of the media when the news broke, that IAF asked for Meteor infos and started a BVR missile tender.
Derby is integrated, Derby ER on offer and a logical choice for a larger order when MK1A gets reality. But considering what options are available on the market, or creating a tender to increase competition and get the best commercial deal, is standard procedure. Sadly the media made LCA + Meteor out of it, which now with the recent reports on the selection of EL2052 seems to be out anyway. So for the missile tender, that might only include Derby, unless MICA EM or Aim 120 will be offered.

Holler dene ka, InOrbit pass mein hai na!

Lekin kaise holler doon? Inorbit has 1000s of people. They do't let people with hellfire missiles inside.
You could use this code word hahaha (sorry in advance if @Guynextdoor cant understand it)

I wish was in india to meet you people on the 23rd

Sorry in advance for going off topic also, couldn’t keet it to myself it was too funny

Reactions: Itachi
The DRDO developed SPS for LCA Mk-2 combines DRDO's DR118 Advanced RWR featuring targeted Digital Radio Frequency Memory (DRFM) based signal jamming & decoy dispensing system with 360-deg coverage pod mounted radar jammer. @ajaishukla makes a valid point.

The question is, can HAL afford to delay LCA Mk-2 waiting on DRDO to complete development and testing and possibly lose the IAF order or at least what is left of its reputation? Clearly, MoD is not applying its mind and @DefenceMinIndia needs to intervene.

Sorry! LCA Mk-1A not LCA Mk-2

after going through few other s , twitter post
seems mig 29 has 2 generator ,while Tejas only1
internal vs external
israel gave permission to ELTA but not elisra of mig 29

and there is chance that in MK2, it could be indigenous

His point is pretty flawed, because he had many factual mistakes in the article. The Mig 29 EW does not include MAWS and the SPJ is not external on a pod, but internally. So the main question on using that EW in the first place, is space within LCAs airframe, which we know is not available until MK2 comes.
Secondly one can question how indigenous an EWS is, that includes Italian RWR and at max a jointly developed Indo-Israeli SPJ, which leaves only commonality as a point for the same system.

It is interesting however, that Israel blocked Elsira from participating, but sadly we don't know if that's true, since he didn't added proof to the claims in the articles. If he had communication and mail's, why not attach them?

Another issue is, that the radar and EW tenders for MK1A were linked to each other. That would reject the Mig 29 EW then, since it's a custom EW, by multiple manufacturers. I always thought that linking the tenders, instead of taking the best systems individually, would had been the better choice, but maybe ease of agreements and fast production might had been a concern.

He is creating an issue around Meteor, just as most of the media when the news broke, that IAF asked for Meteor infos and started a BVR missile tender.
Derby is integrated, Derby ER on offer and a logical choice for a larger order when MK1A gets reality. But considering what options are available on the market, or creating a tender to increase competition and get the best commercial deal, is standard procedure. Sadly the media made LCA + Meteor out of it, which now with the recent reports on the selection of EL2052 seems to be out anyway. So for the missile tender, that might only include Derby, unless MICA EM or Aim 120 will be offered.
Yup, I-Derby ER is under trials right now.

One of the interesting things I was looking at is the weight of R73 CCM, 105 KG, incidentally python 5 weighs the same 105kgs while Derby is just at 118Kgs and LCA can probably carry it outboard as it's rated for 150Kg. I haven't seen the weight of I Derby ER which is being tested now, but aparently it's close to 150kg's too.

I really hope Indian agencies do decide to build a quad launcher and not a dual launcher for both the MKI and LCA.

Learnings from LCA Mk-I and Mk-IA configurations will go a long way in the design, development and manufacture of AMCA.

Literally, I guess. Count the decades now :(
As of now, I hope the ADA get the FOC on time. Apparently, just 1 MK1 got delivered this fiscal, as per the article. Besides, as the CMD, if the FOC is delayed, the entire delivery schedule will go for a toss. Otherwise, they'd deliver 40 MK1 by 2022.

Moreover , it appears the MoD is also awaiting FOC before deciding on the order for 80 MK1A.

Then there's the MCA/MK2.

As of now, the AMCA appears to be a pie in the sky. Only @randomradio would think other wise.

@randomradio is a gentleman. Believes in the goodness of mankind etc etc.

Little does he know, our country(wo)men are majoryly selfish #^%$$@&&#* all the choicest words, who do not care a damn for the nation. It is seen in every strata of society. From day to day working to treating fellow citizens as if enemy!
Rightly said. There are many instances where defence maintenance staff delibrately sabotaging startegic equipments like even fighter planes by not fitting locking quarter pins just to avenge pilots wrong saying to him. There was an instance where Jaguar fighter was crashed due to non fitment of locking pin...😠