LCA Tejas Mk1 & Mk1A - News and discussions

how will they get around the export restrictions placed by the UK on things like the radome and ejection seats? Russian options are probably unlikely due to unreliability of delivery/sanctions. No domestic work-arounds to my knowledge.
1. Is something actually there? Israeli offer of Kfir is there. And as far as I know Kfirs use Martin Baker too.

2. If at all that is an issue, I feel it can be resolved. Russian alternative for ejection seat and local alternatives for others. A few sub systems can be sources from US offices of UK based firms.

The real problem is , can Argentina pay the price ?

1. Is something actually there? Israeli offer of Kfir is there. And as far as I know Kfirs use Martin Baker too.

If this source is to be believed, the UK has put a lot of pressure to stop the sale of Kfirs and even other surplus planes that don't use any UK components. No idea if the current UK government will be petty about it since they are trying to get a trade deal out of India but you never know.

2. If at all that is an issue, I feel it can be resolved. Russian alternative for ejection seat and local alternatives for others. A few sub systems can be sources from US offices of UK based firms.
Can the Russians deliver? I was under the impression that they were having serious shortages for naval and aircraft components. Even then, modifying the Tejas to use Russian seats/radomes would certainly draw the ire of the US. Instead of trying to sell a handful of jets to Argentina, might be more worthwhile trying to sell LIFT variants to Australia or the US Navy?

The real problem is , can Argentina pay the price ?
Definitely not, but perhaps an arrangement for cooking oils/oil seeds could be made? Wheat or soy maybe? I'm not sure what else Argentina has that India might want.

If this source is to be believed, the UK has put a lot of pressure to stop the sale of Kfirs and even other surplus planes that don't use any UK components. No idea if the current UK government will be petty about it since they are trying to get a trade deal out of India but you never know.

Can the Russians deliver? I was under the impression that they were having serious shortages for naval and aircraft components. Even then, modifying the Tejas to use Russian seats/radomes would certainly draw the ire of the US. Instead of trying to sell a handful of jets to Argentina, might be more worthwhile trying to sell LIFT variants to Australia or the US Navy?

Definitely not, but perhaps an arrangement for cooking oils/oil seeds could be made? Wheat or soy maybe? I'm not sure what else Argentina has that India might want.
If the US wants to stop India from using Russian components on Tejas then they need to:

- Convince UK to agree to the sale of Tejas to Argentina with British components, or
- Provide US alternatives for British components, or
- Buy Tejas LIFT for USN, or
- Convince Australia to buy Tejas LIFT.

why in the world would argentina agree to that.
Rolls Royce is world leader in civilian airlines sector also. I don't see Argentina saying that it will ban its flag carrier from operating Rolls Royce engines.

Issue is there. But in my opinion it is being overblown at the moment. If US is ready to sell F16C/D to Argentina, then the UK problem is not that big a problem.

But then again, onus is on ADA/HAL to if possible get the ejection seats from Russia and try to integrate it.

Its upon us to be specific in our studies regarding what Argentina actually wants and what it can do for it.

If they are serious to use something good , only then we should go to try and modify a system without UK components.

For the price, hopefully HAL decides to try to sell it at zero profit basis and GoI pitches in with soft loans and barter trade. A win in Argentina gives Tejas MK1A/MK2 a hold against Gripen in South America.

There were some chat about HAL offered to replace the British components, the ejection seat is definitely russian that is on offer, radome I have no idea. But it seems HAL is looking at various procurement options.

Way too much talk about the export options failing going on everywhere I visited. I do not get the rush. Let Mk1a come in properly from the SP25 upgraded mk1, IAF will take a year to get acquainted with the new system, possibly ask for some more work to be done before. Does anyone think the two prototypes/upgraded Mk1 airframes that IAF specifically allotted are flying with EW suite?

What weapons package can HAL offer really, without pointing to a lot of foreign arms? I think this is a major hindrance mk1a is facing. Koreans & chinese both probably have a more rounded package, not quality wise. But in our case, only astra, rudram, lgb probably maybe the russian r73 and israeli i-derby?
This is on top of HAL having to search the domestic market & asking some firms to come up with LRU solutions.

Tejas weapons package shown in Africa aerospace & defence expo India pavilion, mention of NASM-MR future integration so that project is ongoing for tedbf also probably? Astra mk1 & mk2 seems done

Why DRDO can not build SAAW as a standoff PGM heavy option like 300-500kg or more? bit like the Kh series, 125kg is kinda low end of things. Would be great as subsonic 100km pgm.

FdOB3jMaIAI6BBx

FdO6xTxUAAAjPcb

pics from
@FighterPiloting
Kuntal Biswas

Last edited:
Reactions: Sathya and Ashwin