LCA Tejas Mk1 & Mk1A - News and discussions

R73 FTW

Mar 21, 2022
Bharat
Absolute gigachad HAL. Tested it before due date and didn't make any sound about it instead carried on with their work while getting abused by eggspert right wingers endlessly for no logical reasons. Absolute level of professionalism and commitment towards the nation at display👏👏💪
1659426923766.png

randomradio

Nov 30, 2017
India
One reason I can think of is economics. I have always said that a pvt company will want to look after its own first. And that's why splitting the 114 MMRCA is not right. You need a minimum order of 100 airframes because you got to give out contracts. And no one is signing up your contracts for just 5 year of work.

It seems to me the pvt sector involved is facing the same issue.

It's better to give an additional order of 20-30 airframes so that the number of airframes per year increase, because the pvt supplied will want a long contract.

For LCA, the numbers are already good. Since the program itself will continue with Mk2, it's unnecessary to make any more than 73.

Sathya

Dec 2, 2017
India
For LCA, the numbers are already good. Since the program itself will continue with Mk2, it's unnecessary to make any more than 73.

Is there any guarantee the same vendors will be awarded Mk2 contracts?

Another thing how sure are we Mk2 will come online in time?

When we make > 20 mk1A / year, mk2 has to be ready .

randomradio

Nov 30, 2017
India
Is there any guarantee the same vendors will be awarded Mk2 contracts?

At least most of them.

Another thing how sure are we Mk2 will come online in time?

'Cause it's only a modernisation of a rather proven design. The flight testing required is 3 times lesser than a new design.

When we make > 20 mk1A / year, mk2 has to be ready .

For now Mk1A will be delivered to the IAF at 16/year. Anything extra will be used up on export contracts. HAL has promised 24/year to the IAF only if 3 more squadrons are ordered. Mk2 is likely to get new lines though.

Reactions: Sathya

randomradio

Nov 30, 2017
India
What I am still to agree with 2 years delay in price negotiations between MoD & HAL.
Both government entities. No money will go out of GoI hands .. But 2 years lost..

That ll be 2 squads early in IAF hands.. and probably retirement of Mig21 s at appropriate time.

To be fair, the LCA delay was extremely disastrous for the IAF. The govt should have compensated with an emergency purchase of 2 M2000 squadrons after the MKI deal was done, the French had proven their reliability by then.

Reactions: Nilgiri

Ankit Kumar

Team StratFront
Nov 30, 2017
Bangalore
To be fair, the LCA delay was extremely disastrous for the IAF. The govt should have compensated with an emergency purchase of 2 M2000 squadrons after the MKI deal was done, the French had proven their reliability by then.
I would just like to point out that BCCI doesn't pay GST, while HAL first pays import duty on engines, helmets, ejection seats of Tejas and then GST on the sale to IAF.

To me it is unfair. 😂
If tax is such a big issue, maybe get BCCI in the regime too. Put 28% on them.

• Agree
Reactions: Sathya

randomradio

Nov 30, 2017
India
I would just like to point out that BCCI doesn't pay GST, while HAL first pays import duty on engines, helmets, ejection seats of Tejas and then GST on the sale to IAF.

To me it is unfair. 😂
If tax is such a big issue, maybe get BCCI in the regime too. Put 28% on them.

You mean income tax. No clue why you brought it up though. A PSU doesn't have the same worries as a private enterprise.
I'll be really impressed if the Mk2's radar is on a gimbal.