LCA Tejas Mk1 & Mk1A - News and discussions

Malaysia, We are coming ;)
Rain Lets Do This GIF by The Suicide Squad

No, I don’t. And I don’t think it has higher terminal speed higher than SD10 (unless proved otherwise)
Please note that Max speed is not the Terminal/Endgame speed, which is much less that Max speed.

True in case where the missile is not powered in end game. It is not the case with python 5.

True in case where the missile is not powered in end game. It is not the case with python 5.
BTW for WVR/Short range missiles, exhaustion of fuel is a rare occurance. What happens is the extreme Gs required to chase down a manoevering target, causes a huge drag on missile ( given WVR-AAM generally have large control surface then BVRAAM for better manoeverbility). This bleeds a lot of kinatic energy and decrease the velocity of the chasing missile.
And that’s where second pulse of a Dual pulse motor (in BVRAAM mostly) comes into action. And therefore Astra Mk2 is the real deal with high pk, and not the Mk1 which is just the first step/stop gap solution.

Last edited:
  • Informative
Reactions: Valhalla
BTW for WVR/Short range missiles, exhaustion of fuel is a rare occurance. What happens is the extreme Gs required to chase down a manoevering target, causes a huge drag on missile ( given WVR-AAM generally have large control surface then BVRAAM for better manoeverbility). This bleeds a lot of kinatic energy and decrease the velocity of the chasing missile.
And that’s where second pulse of a Dual pulse motor (in BVRAAM mostly) comes into action. And therefore Astra Mk2 is the real deal with high pk, and not the Mk1 which is just the first step/stop gap solution.

That is true for every missile, infact any flying or even surface moving object including fighter jet or car . It does not prove your narrative of Shitty Chinese missile being superior to Python 5. Infact, Python 5 can pull much more g load than any wvr Chinese missile which is very important. This is narrated in none other than article quoted by yourself.

Canon not yet certified to function, but is now being fitted in all the 16 FOC. One LSP aircraft is in Nashik to conduct butt firing tests. After that gun will be certified for various purposes.

MIG-21 Aircraft
MIG-21 Aircraft
Posted On: 20 DEC 2021 3:04PM by PIB Delhi

Tejas is not being inducted as a replacement of MIG-21 fighter aircraft, but as a part of modernisation of IAF. Amount spent so far on the manufacture of 24 LCA Tejas delivered till 30.09.2021 is Rs 6,653 crore. Considering the contract with HAL by IAF, a total of 123 Tejas fighter aircraft are to be manufactured. Further production depends upon requirement for Indian Defence Services/export to customers.

This information was given by Raksha Rajya Mantri Shri Ajay Bhatt in a written reply to Shri Brijlal in Rajya Sabha today.

As LCA is getting matured, Import lobby is getting desperate and trying to manipulate the MOD official’s words.
Only half of the highlighted segment is plastered all over the media in a bid to discredit the LCA.

Last edited:
I don’t see anything wrong here except for some rough edges/inconsistent panel gaps and below par fit and finish in some areas.
I believe it’s because HAL don’t use automated robots from ABB, KUKA, FANUC etc, that cut the panels with laser precision.
Not to mention a Composit is much more tough to cut precisely than an aluminium or steel sheet Chinese use in JF17/FC1.
I believe Tata aerospace has access to more advanced manufacturing/assembly tools than a Govt PSU ie HAL.

PS: This particular LCA was from IOC batch which can be confirmed by other photos taken by the same Pakee photographer who to me was more interested in finding flaws in this Indian bird and therefore avoided to take close up snaps fof FOC versions standing nearby . So it’s not that surprising that it has inconsistent panel gaps, rough edges and poor paint quality.

Last edited:
Definitely, it's a valid point for concern. If it's going to be the same for AMCA then we are doomed... Even for Mk1A and Mk2, we do have time to fix these cosmetic issues. Product development is not always about engineering it's also aesthetic look and feels. We do have Rafales with us to check the fit and finish... we can't have a "chalta hai" attitude

I don’t see anything wrong here except for some rough edges/inconsistent panel gaps and below par fit and finish in some areas.
I believe it’s because HAL don’t use automated robots from ABB, KUKA, FANUC etc, that cut the panels with laser precision.
Not to mention a Composit is much more tough to cut precisely than an aluminium or steel sheet Chinese use in JF17/FC1.
I believe Tata aerospace has access to more advanced manufacturing/assembly tools than a Govt PSU ie HAL.

PS: This particular LCA was from IOC batch which can be confirmed by other photos taken by the same Pakee photographer who to me was more interested in finding flaws in this Indian bird and therefore avoided to take close up snaps fof FOC versions standing nearby . So it’s not that surprising that it has inconsistent panel gaps, rough edges and poor paint quality.
Hopefully IAF and HAL both looks into it. This finish is not only extremely important for the structure of the aircraft but it also changes its signature against radar waves.
Definitely, it's a valid point for concern. If it's going to be the same for AMCA then we are doomed... Even for Mk1A and Mk2, we do have time to fix these cosmetic issues. Product development is not always about engineering it's also aesthetic look and feels. We do have Rafales with us to check the fit and finish... we can't have a "chalta hai" attitude
Yes, only intention of me sharing this here is constructive critisism.

Hopefully someone gets such close pics of the 16 FOCs currently in production just for comparison.

• Agree
Reactions: TARGET
How exactly does one infer from those pictures that it's from the Tejas ? I mean how does a Paxtani get access to such pictures assuming it's of the Tejas ? There's nothing whatsoever on those pictures to suggest it's from the Tejas. If you read the entire conversation on Twitter , he goes on to compare the build quality of the JF-17 with flattering pictures , if you can believe something like that .

The fuselage & other parts of the body are fabricated by ancillary units. HAL does the assembly.