LCA Tejas Mk1 & Mk1A - News and discussions

The booster part is larger on the pl15 it's clearly a heavier and wider missile. 150-160km is a realistic prediction IMO. 250-300km is max range. But I doubt it can hit snythinf apart from awacs at that range..

Max range is simply the range at which it loses its effectiveness. But the main point is a higher max range equals a higher NEZ.

Max range is simply the range at which it loses its effectiveness. But the main point is a higher max range equals a higher NEZ.
Yeah I was talking about the NEZ. Pl15 atleast seems to have a 100Km NEZ. Maybe wrong but I have a feeling it's slightly more capable than the meteor

We won't win the tender but it is a good platform to showcase the abilities of Mk1. Then the outside world will know that it is a decent 4+ - 4.5 gen aircraft.

The LCA + SPORT/trainer are likely more advanced, whereas its main Korean competitor, FA-50 + T-50 combo is much more mature. The Indian option could be cheaper as well. The composites also have an advantage in Malaysia's harsh tropical environment.

Yeah I was talking about the NEZ. Pl15 atleast seems to have a 100Km NEZ. Maybe wrong but I have a feeling it's slightly more capable than the meteor

Nothing is more capable than ramjet, even if the advertised max range is lower. Especially so since any kill can only happen in fractions of the max range and the ramjet's fraction in % is higher than rocket's along with speed. And that will make up for the difference.

• Agree
Reactions: Lolwa
The LCA + SPORT/trainer are likely more advanced, whereas its main Korean competitor, FA-50 + T-50 combo is much more mature. The Indian option could be cheaper as well. The composites also have an advantage in Malaysia's harsh tropical environment.
It is unlikely that the Malaysians will opt for the Tejas since we had stopped the imports of palm oil. @Falcon in his twitter handle had mentioned that we lost (political) interest in F18 when US said that their citizens come first before any supply of raw materials for our Covid-19 vaccines. There was a backlash, but if we are so picky then we cannot blame the Malaysians for not opting for Tejas. Plus we are hardly mature as a supplier of hi-tech weapon systems.

Reactions: SammyBoi
It is unlikely that the Malaysians will opt for the Tejas since we had stopped the imports of palm oil. @Falcon in his twitter handle had mentioned that we lost (political) interest in F18 when US said that their citizens come first before any supply of raw materials for our Covid-19 vaccines. There was a backlash, but if we are so picky then we cannot blame the Malaysians for not opting for Tejas. Plus we are hardly mature as a supplier of hi-tech weapon systems.

No one makes such knee-jerk reactions, a fighter jet relationship is for 30+ years after all. The IN is still interested in the SH anyway. He believes it's gonna be a political deal for MRFA in favour of the Americans, but that's possible only with the F-35, not the teens. For the IAF, the fighter jet is more important, not the political relationship, and in the SPM, the military decides.

But yeah, the Koreans are the safest political choice for the Malaysians. Going for India will piss of the Chinese and vice versa. Plus some of their neighbours operate the same aircraft. But in terms of capabilities and technologies, the Indian offer will be ahead, especially the one coming in with the new Indian AESA radar and EW suite. Not to mention all the new weapons being developed, like the Brahmos-M, SAAW, Astra Mk3 and a new WVR missile. So it really depends on what they are looking for.

Also, at this time the Chinese are threatening the Malaysians militarily. If they plan to make a stand, then a decision favouring India will show intent.

Then there's the fact that the Malaysians also like operating some equipment which the Indians also operate. There have been discussions with Malaysia for them to be part of India's Sukhoi supply chain through HAL since 2015. So the Malaysians are the best bet for HAL to enhance their abilities as a long term supplier.

• Agree
Reactions: JustCurious
Agreed. That’s why I asked. That thing on wing tip is quite strange looking

Also everything is too shiny for someone like HAL.

Yeah, it protrudes way too much behind the wing, even the Typhoon's EW pod doesn't go that far back.

Anyway, Mk2 will be ready only by mid 2022 and Mk1A in early 2023. So there's no way pics will be available today.

Yeah, it protrudes way too much behind the wing, even the Typhoon's EW pod doesn't go that far back.

Anyway, Mk2 will be ready only by mid 2022 and Mk1A in early 2023. So there's no way pics will be available today.

I hope it to be mk2.
For Mk1A it can be first flight.
But for Mk2, won't they start with roll out then slow - fast taxi trials then only first flight right?

I hope it to be mk2.
For Mk1A it can be first flight.
But for Mk2, won't they start with roll out then slow - fast taxi trials then only first flight right?

All aircraft go through that after they exist the assembly line. For prototypes it's called development test, for production aircraft it's called factory test.

It's a CGI though. But it should be what the real thing looks like.

Anyway only the Mk2 has wingtip stations. And the CGI has it.

All aircraft go through that after they exist the assembly line. For prototypes it's called development test, for production aircraft it's called factory test.

It's a CGI though. But it should be what the real thing looks like.

Anyway only the Mk2 has wingtip stations. And the CGI has it.

We need to see the MK 1A ,flying at the
Earliest

MK 2 will take much longer