RudraM Series Air-launched Missiles : Updates & Discussions

Ashwin

Agent_47
Staff member
Administrator
Nov 30, 2017
Bangalore
The Rudram is a series of air-to-surface anti-radiation missiles in development by the Defence Research and Development Organisation(DRDO) of India.

NameApproval DateProbable date of conclusion (PoC)Funding AmountRangeWarhead WeightOverall WeightSeeker
Rudram-1 (NGARM)Dec. 2012Dec 2017Rs 317 cr100-150km55kg600kgPHH+MMW
Rudram-2March. 2016March 2020Rs 489 cr50-300km155-200kgPHH+IIR
Rudram-3Feb. 2017Feb 2022Rs 485 cr~300kmPHH+IIR

ykGvGAq.png

FfcaFzYVUAEWo9P

img_20221018_122739_552-jpg.24900

Reference:
Poster source : twitter

" While the Rudram-1 NG-ARM is meant for destroying X-band target engagement radars of ground-based SHORADS, the Rudram-2 NG-ARM is meant for neutralising the L-band & S-band gapfiller radars of MR-SAM systems. The Rudram-3 ARM is meant for destroying the low-band long-range airspace surveillance radars. Hence, HQ-17A-type SHORADS will be destroyed by Rudram-1, while the LY-80E LOMADS will be destroyed by Rudram-2 & LR-SAMs like HQ-9 HIMADS will be destroyed by Rudram-3. "

~PKS

If the can be modified to be launched from drones, that would be very deadly. Because in 2 front war you never know when you lose all your aircraft squadrons.

If the can be modified to be launched from drones, that would be very deadly. Because in 2 front war you never know when you lose all your aircraft squadrons.
Will need a big UCAV. Its 600kg. When there's a UAV in the class of Heron TP with us, we can look to integrate it.

Well R-II has confirmed dual role, I guess you could swap seeker & make the same for R-III also. R-IIA variant which was shown in an old picture is probably that ground attack purpose?
Any specific reason why we only use 200kg-300kg class warhead only & rely on high-speed collision kinetic energy? I mean missile weight to warhead ratio is often 10:1 , can it be dropped to like 8:1 or below without compromising its top speed?
I still have no idea how they are going to integrate it in Tejas 1.2ton rated pylon.

FfpxZDFUYAAVdqO

More likely to lose drones first hehe , given we only got recon drones mostly at present.
100-200kg weapon on a drone delivered system is ok, not sure about trying it for a 600kg behemoth. Surely smaller version could be created, uav or helo specific.

Forgot to add this

That is the point. Deploy drones first with this 600kg weapon to protect your main squadrons. Kaveri engine is sufficient enough to develop a top class stealth drone.
This missile might be too heavy for such drone delivered purpose, sead & dead missions are normally carried by genuine top class planes like stealth 5th gen, or su30 at standoff distance in our case as very important missions. Drones might not be first choice for such missions, though I know little about such stuff. Releasing such a heavy missile also need specific mechanism, a present only su30 I think is able to do that. Drones are for smaller missions, like hitting weapon locating radars in battlefield? Those are smaller & won't need a 600kg behemoth.

This is a game-changing missile which is not only designed for SEAD but for complete destruction of enemy air defence(DEAD). GaN amplifier should improve its accuracy and sensitivity.

Any news about when we can expect it in production?
Not sure on production but given how it is shown by Adani & co must be very close. I think its trials are currently going on, LRGB tender which I posted in the munition thread, mention of modified Su-30 I & II for NGARM & Astra is there. The mysterious sounds, those might be part of its testing recently. What they do is make a radiating target at wheeler island & the jets fire off at selected height.

Come to think of it, maybe that is why they found spying pigeon with attached spy cam etc. :unsure:

Reactions: Rajput Lion