Trainer Aircraft of IAF - PC-7, HTT-40, HJT-36, BAE Hawk

FNct2m9aAAEV8Qy

“As regards trainer aircraft shortage, I am not very sure if it is very critical. The
Kirans will phase out. The HTT-40 is coming in now. As it comes, we are hopeful
that Kirans will hold. There have been a few issues of engine which HAL has
managed to get some contracts to sustain them while they are being safe. In fact, Kiran Mk-IIs are also there. In fact, I just reviewed it a week back. That we will
start using. We had kept them for a different purpose. So, it is not that critical.
And HTT-40, after initial delays, I will confess, of spin and all, has come of age.
Test pilots have tested it. I think the contracts will be placed soon. The final
evaluation is on. In fact, negotiations will start soon. So, that will not be that
critical.

LAAR Configuration by HAL is an awesome product for export to African countries, This concept is adequate for drone neutralization and border protection also ...

Reactions: _Anonymous_
LAAR Configuration by HAL is an awesome product for export to African countries, This concept is adequate for drone neutralization and border protection also ...
Equipping the border outposts with better sensors to continuously monitor the immediate airspace, giving the troops say 14.5mm Anti Aircraft Artillery, jamming devices and Igla MANPADs.

This would be cheaper, less strain on losing human lives and better coverage.

If we want to secure our airspace from drones.

Further as far as exports are concerned, a armed trainer will cost somewhere 10 million USD per piece while buying a Byraktar or CH4 drone will hardly cost a million USD.

HAL and DRDO should instead focus on indigenising the imported components in HTT40 , so that we can improve on the aircraft and pilots of IAF if needed can get extra flight hours from this instead of more valuable fighter jets.

This is a useless project like Hawk i.

Equipping the border outposts with better sensors to continuously monitor the immediate airspace, giving the troops say 14.5mm Anti Aircraft Artillery, jamming devices and Igla MANPADs.

Further as far as exports are concerned, a armed trainer will cost somewhere 10 million USD per piece while buying a Byraktar or CH4 drone will hardly cost a million USD.

HAL and DRDO should instead focus on indigenising the imported components in HTT40 , so that we can improve on the aircraft and pilots of IAF if needed can get extra flight hours from this instead of more valuable fighter jets.

It has export potential & can be used as a potential manned drone killer perhaps in an enhanced iteration. Paxtan is getting a HALE drone from Turkey in addition to MALE drones like Bayrakhtar. We need to take this very seriously indeed if the Azeri Armenian & the war in Ukraine hold any lessons for us.

• Haha
Reactions: Innominate
Paxtan is getting a HALE drone from Turkey in addition to MALE drones like Bayrakhtar. We need to take this very seriously indeed if the Azeri Armenian & the war in Ukraine hold any lessons for us.
Unlike smaller drones, which actually will be a problem for us, these purchases aren't. They are easy to detect and shoot down.

If Army decides to bring S125 units and service it , those missiles have enough capabilities to take wing long 2, ch4 , tb2 etc down. Plus QR SAM is incoming.

The threat we face is of mini drones and loitering munitions, they are cheap enough to be bought in very large numbers and difficult to keep Surveillance on. For that we need a different solution.

African countries have restrictions of USD. Why would they spend 10 times more for a capability and not simply buy ch4 or tb2a which ensures costly trained pilot lives are not put in danger ?
Because I assume this can be used for dual roles - training as well as light combat & can or at least should be optimised for A2A & A2G roles.

• Haha
Because I assume this can be used for dual roles - training as well as light combat & can or at least should be optimised for A2A & A2G roles.
Brazil which is a decent operator of btts converted for offensive operations maintains a seperate fleet of basic version for training and a seperate fleet for operations against say drug rings.

Because once you strap on basic self protection suite, the mission computers , a more powerful engine to support all that extra weight , and then use the aircraft for basic training the operational costs and manpower requirements rise.

• Informative
Reactions: Sathya
Brazil which is a decent operator of btts converted for offensive operations maintains a seperate fleet of basic version for training and a seperate fleet for operations against say drug rings.

Because once you strap on basic self protection suite, the mission computers , a more powerful engine to support all that extra weight , and then use the aircraft for basic training the operational costs and manpower requirements rise.
We're referring to 3rd world nations who'd require some 4-6 such Aircrafts or more . Brazil would be in a different league like India. I'm sure HAL can come up with customised solutions which can cater to. Think Super Tucano for Afghanistan .

• Haha
We're referring to 3rd world nations who'd require some 4-6 such Aircrafts or more . Brazil would be in a different league like India. I'm sure HAL can come up with customised solutions which can cater to. Think Super Tucano for Afghanistan .
Not convinced yet. Anyways let's see what is the DAC approved cost for normal HTT40 first.

MANPADs are effective but the drawback is coverage area, you can't put a MANPAD in every corner of your land and keep it active 24/7 that's not possible... Byraktar or ch4 is not maneuverable like HTT 40 and In the case of the Ukraine war, we have to understand the Ukrainian air space is massive and cannot be protected using surveillance radar especially low flying drones. That's why in some cases, these drones are very effective.

• Informative
Reactions: Sathya
FYqxpfHWAAA_YkC

India’s HAL signs over $100 million contract with Honeywell for 88 engines & maintenance/support services for HTT-40 trainer aircraft.

• Agree
Reactions: Ankit Kumar