Trainer Aircraft of IAF - PC-7, HTT-40, HJT-36, BAE Hawk

Depends on what is considered "IOC". For a trainer you need a fully certified aircraft, or else there's no point, it'll just be a flying taxi.

And the IAF is not going to order anything in high double digits for IOC anyway. Case in point, 20 LCA, 10 LCH etc.

HAL needs to stop using silly tricks to put pressure on the IAF. This govt is not going to stand for it.

@Falcon
IOC and FOC are defined by the PSQR document while Fully certified is FOC + 1 Million Francs in shell corp. Hope that clarifies.

Reactions: vingensys
Depends on what is considered "IOC". For a trainer you need a fully certified aircraft, or else there's no point, it'll just be a flying taxi.

And the IAF is not going to order anything in high double digits for IOC anyway. Case in point, 20 LCA, 10 LCH etc.

HAL needs to stop using silly tricks to put pressure on the IAF. This govt is not going to stand for it.

@Falcon

Tricks or no tricks, it ll be our product.
It has go through IoC & FoC,
It ll also take time for IAF to start classes with it.

If IAF has to touch Htt40 after FoC, it will take even more time.

If product wise, HTT 40 is deficient we can think otherwise, else we must support.

Young team of scientists who took up the project shouldn't be discouraged if not motivated.
--------------------------

Between for a Trainer what will the test points between IoC & FoC?

• Agree
Reactions: vingensys

@Falcon
Damn! You seem to miss the Pilatus more than the iAF do. Why?

I also not in favor of wasting money by grounding already bought platforms..
3 AW helicopters in hangar benefits no one...
I hope Pilatus serve well until HTT40 takes over.

IAF needs spares from suspended Swiss supplier Pilatus, exploring options
“It is a fact that Pilatus has been banned for a year. It is also a fact that we need spares and components for our Pilatus PC-7 MkII fleet,” said an IAF official.

I think @randomradio should register as a middleman and negotiate with MoD.

I'm in favor of having only 1 type of BTT in the training fleet. And if it can't be Pilatus due to legal issues, then it makes sense to just comprise the whole fleet with HTT-40s at the earliest.

And sell off the 75 Pilatus trainers to a 3rd party country (maybe donate some to Afghanistan), and wash our hands of the spares issues (should the ban continue) and also simplify and streamline logistics going forward.

I'm in favor of having only 1 type of BTT in the training fleet. And if it can't be Pilatus due to legal issues, then it makes sense to just comprise the whole fleet with HTT-40s at the earliest.

And sell off the 75 Pilatus trainers to a 3rd party country (maybe donate some to Afghanistan), and wash our hands of the spares issues (should the ban continue) and also simplify and streamline logistics going forward.
a big precondition to this is the HTT40 meeting the required parameters. HALs past record doesn't really inspire confidence in this regard.

Tricks or no tricks, it ll be our product.
It has go through IoC & FoC,
It ll also take time for IAF to start classes with it.

If IAF has to touch Htt40 after FoC, it will take even more time.

If product wise, HTT 40 is deficient we can think otherwise, else we must support.

Young team of scientists who took up the project shouldn't be discouraged if not motivated.
--------------------------

Of course, but if HAL is expecting an order for all 106 jets just becaise of IOC, then they are kidding themselves.

Between for a Trainer what will the test points between IoC & FoC?

Who knows? LCA Mk1 also went through a bogus IOC back in 2011, nobody cared then.

Damn! You seem to miss the Pilatus more than the iAF do. Why?

More like the IAF is stuck in a rock and a hard place. Without trainers, they can't do jack sh!t.

I don't really care about the Pilatus. We should be selling it when the time comes. And regardless of whether it's HAL's HTT-40 or an import, the IAF should buy all 181 new trainers from just 1 vendor. And in case it is imported, the private sector should get the contract to license produce all 181.

I also not in favor of wasting money by grounding already bought platforms..
3 AW helicopters in hangar benefits no one...
I hope Pilatus serve well until HTT40 takes over.

Nope. The minute there's corruption, the entire order should be written off. Depending on how deep the corruption goes, all the ones involved should be dealt with severely, or else people will escape even in future instances.

Why should Pilatus benefit from the sale of the 75 aircraft? As long as someone uses it, they will benefit, as long as that someone is the IAF or a second hand operator. If we were a richer country, I would have recommended scrapping all 75 so that Pilatus doesn't benefit ever. People need to understand there's no long term advantage for corruption in the armed forces. That won't happen if you make weak decisions.

More like the IAF is stuck in a rock and a hard place. Without trainers, they can't do jack sh!t.

I don't really care about the Pilatus. We should be selling it when the time comes. And regardless of whether it's HAL's HTT-40 or an import, the IAF should buy all 181 new trainers from just 1 vendor. And in case it is imported, the private sector should get the contract to license produce all 181.
If the IAF & the MoD were more proactive, they'd have foreseen the upcoming ban and moved fast to ensure they had all the spares necessary to maintain the Aircraft. As things stand now, it's a matter of time before the entire fleet is grounded.That too me is more galling than the fact that we'd have two trainers instead of one.

Nope. The minute there's corruption, the entire order should be written off. Depending on how deep the corruption goes, all the ones involved should be dealt with severely, or else people will escape even in future instances.

Why should Pilatus benefit from the sale of the 75 aircraft? As long as someone uses it, they will benefit, as long as that someone is the IAF or a second hand operator. If we were a richer country, I would have recommended scrapping all 75 so that Pilatus doesn't benefit ever. People need to understand there's no long term advantage for corruption in the armed forces. That won't happen if you make weak decisions.
What you're citing is a classic example of cutting ones nose to spite ones face. Admittedly there aren't an easy answers but throwing the baby out with the bath water isn't one of them.

• Agree
Reactions: Proud_Indian
If the IAF & the MoD were more proactive, they'd have foreseen the upcoming ban and moved fast to ensure they had all the spares necessary to maintain the Aircraft. As things stand now, it's a matter of time before the entire fleet is grounded.That too me is more galling than the fact that we'd have two trainers instead of one.

The fleet won't be grounded, we will buy spares from third party until this case is fully dealt with, like, say the Americans. Pilatus is used globally after all, by pretty much every major air force. It's a bit more expensive, but it's at least cleaner.

• Informative
Reactions: _Anonymous_
What you're citing is a classic example of cutting ones nose to spite ones face. Admittedly there aren't an easy answers but throwing the baby out with the bath water isn't one of them.

In cases of corruption, yes it is. The main perpetrators are obviously the company paying the bribe. Why should they benefit?

Exceptions are made for projects of strategic importance. So it's up to the IAF and MoD to decide whether the Pilatus is such a project.

In cases of corruption, yes it is. The main perpetrators are obviously the company paying the bribe. Why should they benefit?

Exceptions are made for projects of strategic importance. So it's up to the IAF and MoD to decide whether the Pilatus is such a project.

Why can't we black list them for future contracts but not the current fleet maintenance..

I think BJP government said something similar after Anthony s tenure..

• Agree
Reactions: _Anonymous_
Why can't we black list them for future contracts but not the current fleet maintenance..

I think BJP government said something similar after Anthony s tenure..

Pilatus has been suspended for a year. This is pretty much blacklisting.

According to the new rules, a company is suspended for a period of 6 months and every 6 months the decision is reviewed. This can go on for 5 years. But there are some leeways, particularly if ToT was done for local production or they have unique tech.

@Falcon

DPSUs are on a downsizing.

Interesting read. So there is a requirement for 110 IJTs, and a opportunity for HAL.
A 2013-14 MoD publication.
IMG_20190804_164136.jpg

• Informative
Reactions: Gautam and Ashwin