T-90 Bhishma / T-72 Ajeya of Indian Army : News and Discussions

Two T-90s: One with improved welded turret another with cast armoured turret

Indian Army earlier procured similar cast armoured turret as the T-72 thereby not improving the protection and when Indians prioritized a Welded Turret, the Russians followed suite and a welded armour was used for first time.

1540098928329.png

IMHO, I think we will end up buying the T-14s to replace the T-72s, while we will end up developing the FRCV for replacing the T-90s after 2035-40. Or the FRCV could be a combination of the T-14 and FRCV, like FGFA. Or the T-14 is simply a rumour and the IA will follow through with an indigenous solution.

Any tank development could take as much as 10-15 years. I doubt the IA will get an indigenous tank within just 7 years though.

The T-14 could also be a stop gap until the FRCV becomes available.

What do you think @Hellfire?

IMHO, I think we will end up buying the T-14s to replace the T-72s, while we will end up developing the FRCV for replacing the T-90s after 2035-40. Or the FRCV could be a combination of the T-14 and FRCV, like FGFA. Or the T-14 is simply a rumour and the IA will follow through with an indigenous solution.

Any tank development could take as much as 10-15 years. I doubt the IA will get an indigenous tank within just 7 years though.

The T-14 could also be a stop gap until the FRCV becomes available.

What do you think @Hellfire?

Why exactly are we not going whole hog on the Arjun?

Why exactly are we not going whole hog on the Arjun?

It's too heavy, so there's no point lugging it around in our terrain. So we are only focusing on upgrading the tank and buying some for the sake of building up experience in developing tanks.

It's too heavy, so there's no point lugging it around in our terrain. So we are only focusing on upgrading the tank and buying some for the sake of building up experience in developing tanks.

And there's no way of making a weight reduction, or a lighter spinoff of the Arjun?

Also, does India have any plans re: light tanks to deal with China, or are we mainly sticking to T-72's there?

And there's no way of making a weight reduction, or a lighter spinoff of the Arjun?

Also, does India have any plans re: light tanks to deal with China, or are we mainly sticking to T-72's there?

Where will we carry our light tanks? Are we invading Tibet? I doubt Tibet is something we are planning to invade.

Not possible to bring it down to T-90 levels.

There is a requirement, but nothing's happened to date.

IA wanted 100 tracked light tanks and 200 wheeled ones. Also technology is not there yet for the kind of tanks that are really required.

Reactions: RATHORE
Where will we carry our light tanks? Are we invading Tibet? I doubt Tibet is something we are planning to invade.

For mountain warfare; and while recapturing Tibet may not be our strategic goal, as per most of the literature I've read on a possible Sino-Indian war, we would likely have to launch some sort of counter offensive into Tibet wouldn't we?

Both for purposes of gaining territory to barter for anything we lose, and in order to avoid inviting all the pressure on ourselves by fighting a purely defensive war in a limited theater.

For mountain warfare; and while recapturing Tibet may not be our strategic goal, as per most of the literature I've read on a possible Sino-Indian war, we would likely have to launch some sort of counter offensive into Tibet wouldn't we?

Both for purposes of gaining territory to barter for anything we lose, and in order to avoid inviting all the pressure on ourselves by fighting a purely defensive war in a limited theater.

The moment you cross into Tibet, you have open tankable country. Light tanks may not be conducive as of today, perhaps in future, if the intent is to increase the Airborne Component to incorporate greater fire power?

Reactions: RATHORE