S-400 'Triumf' News & Discussion

DRDO needs to accelerate the XR-SAM project, if there exists one and maybe we can even cut short the S400 orders.

Of course there is. It's a family of two missiles. Possibly just 1 missile with and without booster.

Russia ain't no Soviet Union. We need to reduce our over dependence on them.

I think we are headed in that direction already. I had always assumed it will happen after 2025, but it appears Putin wants to cosy up to China even sooner than anticipated.

Meanwhile USA offering co-development of BMD systems will be a welcome alternative.

All they will offer is the opportunity to import whatever they make, while we have to pay a hefty amount for R&D as a silent partner. Anything to do with such strategic systems will have to come out of our own companies where we have full control.

The Americans have a habit of offering systems for JV to India where we have already indigenous plans, while avoiding access to technologies that we actually need.

DRDO needs to accelerate the XR-SAM project, if there exists one and maybe we can even cut short the S400 orders. Russia ain't no Soviet Union. We need to reduce our over dependence on them.

Meanwhile USA offering co-development of BMD systems will be a welcome alternative.
Russia technology wise is a beast period , there land based arsenal is good. Your whole tank force is based on russian MBT. Just look at T 90, T 72 , 80 etc upgrade they are doing nowdays and new family of armata vehicles. next level stuff. West is ahead but there system are out of reach of most 3rd world countries like us.

Wolfpack is a Pakistani bot. S 400 is not that advance as it is portrayed. it's radar and missile are all crap compared to there western counterparts.
SAM is a russian specialty (as artillery). I think it's not the Star Wars Death Star, but it's all but not crap.

By end 2023, the S-400 will give us a significant amount of parity with China and a significant amount of overkill with Pakistan. I just hope there's quite a bit of integration with our AWACS.
I remember reading somewhere official (recently) that S400 will be deployed in standalone configuration for long range protection. I have just difficulty in recalling where I had read that.

I remember reading somewhere official (recently) that S400 will be deployed in standalone configuration for long range protection. I have just difficulty in recalling where I had read that.
https://****/iaf-starts-preparation-for-s-400-deployment/
If I remember the official link was some Twitter handle which had mentioned the same standalone deployment under air defence command.

Not clear what standalone means. If it implies it can act on its own against any and all threats, thereby it doesn't need the protection of other SAMs, then that's not correct, it needs an SRSAM below it. The Russians had offered the Pantsir and Buk for that. But we obviously have the SPYDER, Akash and MRSAM for the same purpose.

And if it means if won't be integrated with our IADS, that's also wrong. The S-400 will be our principle air defence system and will be fully integrated with our IADS. In fact, one of the main reasons why Russia could not speed up delivery of the SAM is because of all the R&D effort needed to Indianise the system.

There are nonsensical reports of some people claiming the S-400 cannot be integrated with our IADS, which are patently false statements. Even the Turkish are capable of integrating their S-400s with their NATO IADS, whereas our IADS is fully customisable without needing foreign help. The Americans are also pushing the same agenda, claiming they cannot interoperate with the S-400, but the reality is if they can interoperate with the Jaguar and MKI, then they will have no issues interoperating with the S-400.

At such extreme ranges only helicopter can be targeted, not a fighter jet.

That's weird. It's harder to target a helicopter from that range than a fighter jet. So it's the opposite.

Let's not forget that the 40N6 is a two-stage missile. The second stage will make it as small and as effective as an AAM. In fact more so considering the insane speed of the missile.

The 400 km variant hasn't been cleared for export and no foreign buyer gets that.

Is that why there's a missile called the 40N6E? It was announced back in 2018.

Come on, dude. You can't make sh!t up just to make youself feel better.

That's weird. It's harder to target a helicopter from that range than a fighter jet. So it's the opposite.

Let's not forget that the 40N6 is a two-stage missile. The second stage will make it as small and as effective as an AAM. In fact more so considering the insane speed of the missile.

Is that why there's a missile called the 40N6E? It was announced back in 2018.

Come on, dude. You can't make sh!t up just to make youself feel better.
E doesn't mean export. Check again.

Edit: OK I checked again and yes E means export.

Last edited:
Also 600 km radar range is instrument range , not tracking range.

Tracking range is much smaller .
91N6E big bird surveillance radar ( S-Band) has 600km target designation range against strategic aircrafts. 400km range for a 4m2 square target , 230 km range for a 0.4m2 ballistic target flying at 4.8km/second.
all round zone scan target detection range is 340km for 4m2 target . routine sector scan target detection range is 480km for 4m2 target. So yes it can provide firing solution upwards of 300km.

That is what Pakistanis do All day

By the way , Has S 400 been tested against Brahmos
Lol.
And should I tell you what you Indians do?
91N6E big bird surveillance radar ( S-Band) has 600km target designation range against strategic aircrafts. 400km range for a 4m2 square target , 230 km range for a 0.4m2 ballistic target flying at 4.8km/second.
all round zone scan target detection range is 340km for 4m2 target . routine sector scan target detection range is 480km for 4m2 target. So yes it can provide firing solution upwards of 300km.
Tracking is done by tombstone radar.
Bigbird is only for target detection, not Tracking.

At such extreme ranges only helicopter can be targeted, not a fighter jet.
The 400 km variant hasn't been cleared for export and no foreign buyer gets that.

Also 600 km radar range is instrument range , not tracking range.

Tracking range is much smaller .
What about AWACS? can it target AWACS deep inside Pakistan territory?