Project Kusha / Programme LRSAM / PGLRSAM

I think the weight and warhead difference of long range sam vs a bvr missile converted into sam is important. This M1 missile tenders had shown 2 different warheads, 30 kg and 60kg class. Astra in comparison has a 15kg warhead. So if a bvr is converted into a sam, it will need to up that aspect too and will need to have a redesign.

Also bvr missiles, most of those pull up post release and drop down onto the target at a much later terminal stage when target is locked on, else it would not be able to sustain the long range engagement. What altitude does that happen at, must be over 15km at least? I would guess pretty high alt for its coasting part?

Astra can pull higher Gs than missiles like Barak, so Barak carries a larger warhead to compensate.

Dual pule takes care of that. As for altitude, it can be adjusted based on fire control information.

FWIW, all the running tenders of this have been extended till 16-17 November, possibly due to shipping/import issues maybe. Airframes, control surfaces & wing assy, LRSAM kill vehicle, booster motor for M1, canister, REMA-K for M1. Could be paused, cancelled or re tendered later. many things play part. :cautious:

FWIW, all the running tenders of this have been extended till 16-17 November, possibly due to shipping/import issues maybe. Airframes, control surfaces & wing assy, LRSAM kill vehicle, booster motor for M1, canister, REMA-K for M1. Could be paused, cancelled or re tendered later. many things play part. :cautious:
Damn. Heart break 💔

That's why I want more S-400 or even S-500 squadrons(through make in India) to substitute for any delay in our 'Kusha' project. These long range A2/AD systems are going to be the biggest thorn for our enemies in any future confrontation/war.

Reactions: marich01
Damn. Heart break 💔
Actually scratch that, while those tenders are in with corrigendum , more pglrsam stuff were released today for the mandrel of the M1B. Had many drawings, indicated weight as 1.5ton. It has expanding mandrel.

1699466542016.png

1699466650194.png

That's why I want more S-400 or even S-500 squadrons(through make in India) to substitute for any delay in our 'Kusha' project. These long range A2/AD systems are going to be the biggest thorn for our enemies in any future confrontation/war.

Project Kusha systems will require protection from MRSAM, Akash, SPYDER and VL-SRSAM equivalent systems too. It's not like the S-400, it's only being designed for long range interception.

They have upped a test article sow, which is in similar timeframe as to the BDL also having the 3 LR/MRSAM systems tender. So maybe those are related. DRDL termed as test article, 6 nos, first lot 3nos to be delivered within 90 days. So maybe a test will happen in near future.

1699510616210.png

1699510626144.png

1699510643389.png

Project Kusha systems will require protection from MRSAM, Akash, SPYDER and VL-SRSAM equivalent systems too. It's not like the S-400, it's only being designed for long range interception.
I'm more interested in how and which missiles the IN is going to procure from the Project Kusha.

Reactions: Rajput Lion
I'm more interested in how and which missiles the IN is going to procure from the Project Kusha.
Obviously all will be used/inducted as and when made, cleared and certified. Its a mission mode project for IAF & IN. Will show what BEL guys said a little later during lunchbreak.

If the missiles are big, then it's gonna be quite limited, perhaps 8 or 16, alongside larger numbers of more robust short/medium range system like the MRSAM. Then 32 MRSAM + 16 LRSAM would be a standard fit for a large destroyer.

If the missiles are big, then it's gonna be quite limited, perhaps 8 or 16, alongside larger numbers of more robust short/medium range system like the MRSAM. Then 32 MRSAM + 16 LRSAM would be a standard fit for a large destroyer.
LRSAM is not just one missile but three missiles - M1, M2 and M3. So, that is why I am interested if the IN will get all the 3 missiles or select a particular version.

LRSAM is not just one missile but three missiles - M1, M2 and M3. So, that is why I am interested if the IN will get all the 3 missiles or select a particular version.

It's unclear.

DRDO says it will be "able to take out fighter-sized targets at a 250-km range, with larger aircraft like AWACS (airborne warning and control systems) and mid-air refuelers being intercepted at 350-km."

So M2 and M3 appear to basically be the same missile. Different ranges against fighters and AWACS via using different trajectories. The second trajectory gives you more range and less accuracy, but the drop in accuracy is enough against a 3G target like AWACS. You can making it more specific by saying 250Km vs 9-12G target and 350Km against 3-4G target. Perhaps there will be slight differences for the M2/M3 designation, for example a different seeker or warhead or merely the booster.

My thinking is DRDO's LRSAM with Israel (150Km Barak 8 with booster) and their own XRSAM project (250-350Km Astra Mk2 cousin) were combined into Project Kusha. Perhaps instead of Astra Mk2 cousin it's a different missile, but I find that unlikely.

The confusion with so many terms is because the IAF and IN have used different terms for the same system. It's how even the tenders are designed to prevent overlap (QRSAM and LLQRM are good examples). So what the IAF calls MRSAM (Barak 8) and LRSAM (Barak 8ER), the IN used to call LRSAM and ERSAM.

So DRDO's old ERSAM with Israel (now called LRSAM) and their own XRSAM are now PGLRSAM.

And post 45 seems to show a schematic of the LRSAM (Barak 8ER).

=====

Astra Mk2:
ASTRA-MISSILE.png

Astra Mk2 cousin, potential XRSAM. May perhaps have a new name.
11.jpg

Of course, I'm not discounting your views, you may be right. But this is where previously released information is leaning towards.

IN will most definitely get the LRSAM, it was their ERSAM program in the first place, and it's already integrated with MF-STAR. We only need to see how XRSAM will fit into the picture, and they have started studies on that. I believe we will see XRSAM only on NGD, NGF and other future large ships like the third carrier and LHDs.

Reactions: Fatalis
But that long range interception is the biggest game-changing part, especially in the Indo-Pak war context. We can literally shut their airspace from well within our border. This is the real 'air dominance', IMO.

PS: Astra 2 with booster won't have the same range, speed or warhead like Barak-8 with booster. So no way XRSAM is going to be based on that. The picture you've posted is of older Astra 2 configuration. Later they shifted to Astra MK1 aerodynamics for some reason.

But that long range interception is the biggest game-changing part, especially in the Indo-Pak war context. We can literally shut their airspace from well within our border. This is the real 'air dominance', IMO.

We already got that with the S-400.

PS: Astra 2 with booster won't have the same range, speed or warhead like Barak-8 with booster. So no way XRSAM is going to be based on that.

Depends on the booster. I'd actually say the Astra Mk2 will be superior to Barak 8. We see the same thing with David's Sling, the missile is smaller than the AMRAAM and uses the MRSAM's radar.

972056101.jpg

You can see both side by side here.

Our overall SAM and BMD development have very closely followed Israel's. Both of us are using target-specific interceptors. So they have Iron Dome against rockets and artillery, SPYDER and MRSAM/LRSAM against air targets or as CIWS, David's Sling as long range AD and then Arrow series as BMD. We have no need for Iron Dome, but we use SPYDER, Akash and MRSAM for local defense and plan to use XRSAM for wide area defense.

With that said, I won't be surprised if we end up using David's Sling too, but you can see that it's simply better for us to use our own missile instead.

The picture you've posted is of older Astra 2 configuration. Later they shifted to Astra MK1 aerodynamics for some reason.

Yeah, but there's no reason why it cannot be XRSAM, Barak 8 has a very similar design after all.

DRDO says it will be "able to take out fighter-sized targets at a 250-km range, with larger aircraft like AWACS (airborne warning and control systems) and mid-air refuelers being intercepted at 350-km."
Using press reports as a reference for a yet to be tested missile system is not good. Use tender documents.