Project 18, Next Generation Destroyer (NGD) : News and Updates

That dont make sense.
Although I am.not sure but the DAC in December 2022 accorded 10 projects for the Indian Navy. Only 3 were disclosed - Naval Anti-Ship Missiles, Multi-Purpose Vessels and High Endurance Autonomous Vehicles.
Rest 7 might have those NGD.

I have gone through both of those. MDL clearly said so. GRSE can hope for things, there is no tax on it.

There is not enough budget for 8 NGC + 8 P17B + 8* $1.5 billion NGD in one go anyway.

It's not difficult to afford that many at the same time based on the timeframe. The modernization budget will compound in double digits on a higher base through to the end of the decade. And with the cancellation of Vishal in lieu of a second Vikrant, a huge chunk of money was saved in the process, including the air arm.

• Informative
Reactions: Valhalla
It's not difficult to afford that many at the same time based on the timeframe. The modernization budget will compound in double digits on a higher base through to the end of the decade. And with the cancellation of Vishal in lieu of a second Vikrant, a huge chunk of money was saved in the process, including the air arm.
From what I heard, MDL said NGD is two phase project with 4 in each phase so chances of GRSE are already very slim.

GRSE is already biting more than it can chew by taking so many projects and finding it difficult to execute alone. They are collaborating with L&T to meet the demands.

MDL will likely remain the sole manufacturer of DDG and SSK until and unless L&T gets the P-75I.

In future, chances of GSL getting any frigates order is also very low. They only got P11356 because they couldn't get the MCMV and other shipyards were occupied.

MDL: Destroyers + SSK + Frigates
GRSE: Frigates + Corvettes + OPV + Survey Vessels
GSL: OPV + MCMV
HSL: FSS + Auxiliary Ships
CSL: Aircraft Carrier + Corvettes
L&T: Auxiliary Ships + SSK* + LHD*

* = only if they win the current bid.

From what I heard, MDL said NGD is two phase project with 4 in each phase so chances of GRSE are already very slim.

GRSE is already biting more than it can chew by taking so many projects and finding it difficult to execute alone. They are collaborating with L&T to meet the demands.

MDL will likely remain the sole manufacturer of DDG and SSK until and unless L&T gets the P-75I.

In future, chances of GSL getting any frigates order is also very low. They only got P11356 because they couldn't get the MCMV and other shipyards were occupied.

MDL: Destroyers + SSK + Frigates
GRSE: Frigates + Corvettes + OPV + Survey Vessels
GSL: OPV + MCMV
HSL: FSS + Auxiliary Ships
CSL: Aircraft Carrier + Corvettes
L&T: Auxiliary Ships + SSK* + LHD*

* = only if they win the current bid.

Yes, MDL is buying a new floating dock for NGD. But I'm just basing my opinion on GRSE talking about NGD.

If 8 are being bought in 2 phases, then it's also possible the first 4 will be split between MDL and GRSE. It could be 2 each or 3:1, followed by a second batch of 2 each or 3:1. So MDL builds at least 5 to 6 while GRSE builds 2 or 3.

Or it's possible GRSE is part of the project as a subcontractor, fabricating hull parts for assembly in MDL.

No one from GRSE would talk about NGD if they weren't involved in some capacity.

Reactions: Rajput Lion
Split will not happen like before, L1-L2 60-40 type, I think they might be moving to phase wise or full class of ships being given to one shipyard at L1. At least on project will have that format. NGD might be GRSE/MDL getting 4 ships all in first phase, then MDL again 4 in next phase if new dry dock is commissioned by then. Anyway, GRSE seems to be very keen on destroyers project, and MDL getting the subs order sewn up mostly imo, GRSE stands good chance for one phase at least. In shipbuilding, profit margin is fixed at 7.5% so if GRSE can manage the other costs, they might get L1 imo.

Just for reference, MDL annual report had this part, MDL wanting to build new floating drydock of 12000ton capacity.
I guess that would be what they ordered in previous quarter? and it would cater for NGD ? @Fatalis sir any idea

flo02.png

Reactions: Fatalis
Just for reference, MDL annual report had this part, MDL wanting to build new floating drydock of 12000ton capacity.
I guess that would be what they ordered in previous quarter? and it would cater for NGD ? @Fatalis sir any idea

View attachment 30262
Looks like it is for the NGD. Dots are all over the place but soon the dots will start to connect.

BTW, how much tonnage ship can be built using this 12k FDD? @randomradio

Reactions: marich01
Looks like it is for the NGD. Dots are all over the place but soon the dots will start to connect.

BTW, how much tonnage ship can be built using this 12k FDD? @randomradio

It's unclear if the 12kt capacity refers to its own displacement or the carrying capacity.

At least 15kt carrying capacity is required though.

Reactions: marich01
Yeah Navy team have visited both for capability assessment this we know. About time one other shipyard starts making destroyer class.

“We are looking at 170-175 ships by 2035. Currently, 67 ships are under construction of which 65 are in Indian shipyards,” Chief of the Naval Staff Admiral R Hari Kumar said in his annual press conference ahead of the Navy Day.

The new destroyers are on the drawing board and it may take another five years before the steel-cutting begins.

“Once the yards start building the warships, it may take five-ten years to deliver these weapons to the Navy as the capability of Indian shipyards have improved,” said Navy Vice Chief Vice Admiral Sanjay Jasjit Singh.

The upcoming ships will incorporate more indigenous components compared to the latest P-15B ships, which have 75% indigenous content.

Reactions: RISING SUN