Kolkata-class and Visakhapatnam-class Destroyers: News & Discussions

FEt2VtxVkAMoR88.jpeg

View attachment 22102View attachment 22103

Mormugao, the second ship of the Project 15B Destroyer sails for her maiden sea trials.
I think this is the 1st time I am seeing an unfinished destroyer in sea trials. There have been similar instances in the past but images were hard to come by. May be they were very eager to celebrate the day.

The work on the weapons & propulsion are clearly complete. The radars, EW, ESM etc. remains to be integrated. Of course the paint work is also incomplete. I think commissioning by mid-2022 is very realistic.

I think this is the 1st time I am seeing an unfinished destroyer in sea trials. There have been similar instances in the past but images were hard to come by. May be they were very eager to celebrate the day.

The painters missed the deadline. Dec 19th. Now the ship captain has something to talk about when new recruits show up.

Reactions: SammyBoi
Seems MF-STAR supply issues are not resolved. Even IAC Vikrant sailed for trials w/o having it installed.

Paint aside everything else looks to be in place on Marmugao.

Reactions: AbRaj
Can you tell what is the range of this Brahmos and which long range cruise missiles which are being worked upon which can be fired from VLS on these ships. Is 1000 KM Brahmos in the works and what about Nirbhay and other missiles if they are being worked upon.
Brahmos has been test fired for ~600km and the plan is to take it up till 800-850km.

New subsonic missile based on nirbhay is under development for 1000+km range. Which can be VLS launched. Introduction of this to service will take time.

Can you tell what is the range of this Brahmos and which long range cruise missiles which are being worked upon which can be fired from VLS on these ships. Is 1000 KM Brahmos in the works and what about Nirbhay and other missiles if they are being worked upon.

The numbers are all over the place, so it's difficult to tell. 450, 500, 650, choose any one.

800+Km Oniks-M already exists, so it's only a matter of Indianising it and calling it Brahmos.

Basically all Brahmos versions planned are already operational in Russia, including near-hypersonic Brahmos, Brahmos-M and Brahmos-2.

Nirbhay has been superceded by LRLACM, it is subsonic, but supersonic via ramjet in the terminal phase.

If I remember correctly, in 2020, India tested the 450KM BrahMos, but the experiment failed

A lot of questions.
Cruise missiles: ranges of Surface Launched (i mean vls) BrahMos are 500, to 800km (“extended range”, tested in 2020; don’t know if yet in service). Longer ranges are into development.

So far, the Nirbhay is only tested or available (?) for land based launchers. I don't know if there will be a development for the navy.

Ballistic missiles? I don’t know if the 12 meters long K-15 Shaurya enters into a vls.
K-5 and K-6 are into development.

I’m sure other forumers here would answer your questions better than me ;)

Reactions: zarvan
This new test is most probably the 450Km version.

The near-hypersonic Brahmos is the 500Km version, yet to be tested. The 450Km gets a 50Km boost 'cause of the higher speed.

Future versions are coming up, including a 1500Km version.

This new test is most probably the 450Km version.

The near-hypersonic Brahmos is the 500Km version, yet to be tested. The 450Km gets a 50Km boost 'cause of the higher speed.

Future versions are coming up, including a 1500Km version.
Notam was for 750km so i think it was the 800km version known as block iv.

• Agree
Reactions: Amarante