Kolkata-class and Visakhapatnam-class Destroyers: News & Discussions

So I got it right ! Yeah baby:cool: where is my award ?:p In this celebratory mood allow me to make some more conjectures.
Atleast 4 of them are there confirmed. The camera angle cuts out half of two of them. So, it is entirely possible that there might be more present but not visible in this image. Knowing the Navy and their penchant for keeping ship designs nice and symmetrical it is almost certain that there will be equal number of missile carrying options for the other side(port side). So atleast 8 more Brahmos missiles. Look at all that real estate still left over on that VLS deck. The Kolkata can sure as hell carry a lot more if there is a need.
Now look at post no #82 on this thread. That's a google image of a Kolkata class(no way of knowing which one) from January-February 2019(don't remember the exact date). Look at the spot around the Barak 8 VLS, you can see whitish/grayish circles around the same place where you see those new missile covers. If it is Kolkata in that pic, then these modifications are rather new. If it is some other ship of the Kolkata class, then INS Kolkata isn't the only one carrying those modifications.
Nearly all missiles of all kinds are loaded from the same place from where they are fired. In my service with IN, I have never seen a separate loading point for a missile. They are tubes for VLS SAMs.

1555748459199.png
1555748499854.png
1555748541784.png
1555749133353.png
1555749166336.png

We should keep the production line running, untill Project 18 or next generation destroyer design comes up. Order 3-4 more of these. Our Rajput class destroyers are antique now, we will need replacements for those too.

Launch of Yard 12706

Admiral Sunil Lanba PVSM, AVSM, ADC Chief of the Naval Staff launched the third ship of Project 15B, Guided Missile Destroyer Imphal, today (20 April 2019) at Mazagon Dock Shipbuilders Limited, Mumbai. This launch marks yet another significant milestone in the annals of the indigenous warship design and construction programme of India. With a launch weight of 3,037 tonnes, the vessel made its first contact with water at 1220 Hours with full fanfare during the launching ceremony. In keeping with maritime traditions, Smt Reena Lanba, President NWWA, broke a coconut on the ship’s bow and launched the ship, as invocation from the Atharva Veda was being rendered.
Project 15B ships feature cutting edge advanced technology and are comparable to the best ships of similar class anywhere in the world. These ships have been designed indigenously by the Indian Navy’s Directorate of Naval Design, New Delhi. Each ship spans 163 metres in length and 17.4 metres at beam and displaces 7,300 tonnes. These ships will be propelled by four gas turbines to achieve speed in excess of 30 knots. The P15B destroyers incorporate new design concepts for improved survivability, sea keeping, stealth and manoeuvrability. Enhanced stealth features have been achieved through shaping of hull and use of radar transparent deck fittings which make these ships difficult to detect. P15B ships will be equipped to carry and operate two multiple role helicopters.
These ships are packed with an array of state-of-the-art weapons and sensors, including multi-functional surveillance radars and vertically launched missile system for long distance engagement of shore, sea-based and air targets. With significant indigenous content, these ships are a true hallmark of self-reliance attained by our country in warship design and shipbuilding, and a shining example of the ‘Make in India’ philosophy.
Speaking on the occasion, the Chief Guest, Admiral Sunil Lanba commended the synergic partnership of MDL, Indian Navy, DRDO, OFB, BEL, other public sector enterprises and the private industry in ensuring that force levels are made available to meet India’s National strategic maritime objectives. He also congratulated all agencies associated with the milestone.

(Release ID :189804)

We should keep the production line running, untill Project 18 or next generation destroyer design comes up. Order 3-4 more of these. Our Rajput class destroyers are antique now, we will need replacements for those too.
The rate at which we are making these destroyers, there won't be time for any additional orders before P-18 design completes.

The rate at which we are making these destroyers, there won't be time for any additional orders before P-18 design completes.
Construction on P15B started in 2013 , and first hull was launched by end of 2016, and here by 2019, 3rd hull is launched. 4th hull will easily be in waters by 2021. The construction period of P15B is definitely faster.

As for P18, we don't even have a AoN. Its at least 5-6 years away from being ordered even.

And we should ensure that we add up as many destroyers of P15B as possible.

Hah....all those hours on Google Earth finally payed off.:D
From the pictures released today. You can see the presence of a yellow coloured Goliath crane with "Mazagon Dockyard Ltd." written on it. I've marked it with red arrows.
1555771902409.png
1555771917523.png

Now, 15 days back in the satellite imagery thread post no #28(Analysis - Satellite Imagery thread) and on this thread on March 20 post no #87, I've speculated the presence of Vishakapatnam class destroyer under construction and posted Google earth images of where it might be built. It seems pretty evident now that it was indeed a Vishakapatnam class(INS Imphal as its named) that I saw and identified back then. The ship launched today is marked with a green arrow. For further information up do read those two old posts of mine that I mentioned.
Screenshot (65) (1).png

Also, I am starting to believe that the ship besides the INS Imphal may not be a P-17A as I previously speculated. It might just be the 4th Vishakapatnam class.

Construction on P15B started in 2013 , and first hull was launched by end of 2016, and here by 2019, 3rd hull is launched. 4th hull will easily be in waters by 2021. The construction period of P15B is definitely faster.
Faster than P-15A ? Sure it is. But look at the Chinese, my only dis-comfort is that its been too long since we added a major surface combatant to our fleet. Case in point the first P-15B was laid down in 2013 and 6 years down the line it is still not in service, heck not even in sea acceptance phase. The majority of system/sub-systems of P-15A and B are the same and yet the lumbering pace. The BAE Mark-45 Mod 4 guns isn't yet delivered, I think.

Faster than P-15A ? Sure it is. But look at the Chinese, my only dis-comfort is that its been too long since we added a major surface combatant to our fleet. Case in point the first P-15B was laid down in 2013 and 6 years down the line it is still not in service, heck not even in sea acceptance phase. The majority of system/sub-systems of P-15A and B are the same and yet the lumbering pace. The BAE Mark-45 Mod 4 guns isn't yet delivered, I think.
We do not need to match China 1 for 1. A tight bound relationship with Japan, USA, Singapore and ANZAC is enough to tie down majority of PLAN outside of IOR. I have deliberately kept ASEAN nations out here as non of them except Singapore is independent enough to act openly against China.

But yes we need to increase our pace. In everything. We are pathetic presently. But where ever there is room for improvement, it should be explored.

• Agree
Reactions: Gautam
RAM coating ?
Possible. It does seem to be an overcoat or some kind not paint. Also its only to be seen on the front section, no other side has it. So maybe RAM coating for experimental usage, trying to reduce fore section signature.
It wasn't there at first when INS Kolkata rolled out of yard to the sea. First time it came to view would be during the Konkan excercises of October 2018 with the Royal Navy HMS Dragon. I believe it was applied around mid 2018.

1556799166578.png

Reactions: Austerlitz
Beauty of a ship class.But need to get rid of these shitty RBU and the old thales radar.All other weapons are excellent.
Also need 16 more barak-8 on the ships and maybe if possible a few nirbhay.

• Agree
Reactions: Bon Plan