Indian Nuclear Attack Submarines (SSN) - Updates & Discussions

By the time we buy a Yasen class sub, it's gonna be closer to 2030 and we will be big and mature enough as a market to influence decisions in Russia and act as a counterweight to China.

We need to sign the Yasen deal by 2030, ie, when we are a $7T economy and take deliveries when we are worth $20+T. External pressure is not applicable to us.
Russians aren't gonna sell us Yasen. Far too valuable for them. It's the same meme as us buying tu-160's from the Russians.
We could buy Akula's though.

Reactions: marich01
Russians aren't gonna sell us Yasen. Far too valuable for them. It's the same meme as us buying tu-160's from the Russians.
We could buy Akula's though.
Same problem for Russia than for USA : the production capacity is just enough for themselves, so for a delivery to India or Australia, it's difficult or with a great lead time.
SSN are the sole real asset of the russian navy. Except SSN, the russian navy is mainly outdated.

Reactions: marich01 and Lolwa
Same problem for Russia than for USA : the production capacity is just enough for themselves, so for a delivery to India or Australia, it's difficult or with a great lead time.
SSN are the sole real asset of the russian navy. Except SSN, the russian navy is mainly outdated.
France also has a good SSN program right?

They sell their SSN minus the nuclear reactor by converting it into some kind of AIP based sub.

France also has a good SSN program right?

They sell their SSN minus the nuclear reactor by converting it into some kind of AIP based sub.
It is the nuc reactor that is difficult to produce.
In case we sell a SSN, the situation would have been the same (limitation of our industrial base).
Not a single news in France.... Just imagine such a deal after the AUKUS blow ! => it is a fake news. :unsure:

Not a single news in France.... Just imagine such a deal after the AUKUS blow ! => it is a fake news. :unsure:
I doubt France will be able to sell SSN easily.

But that said, a 4000 ton Barracuda Shortfin / Ocean SMX looks enticing! I also love the design concept of French SSNs that they combine elements of Diesel Electric subs with that of a nuclear sub. Basically, the recent french SSN is a underwater nuclear electric power-plant while propulsion is purely electric. They even have batteries to switch in an extra stealth mode in which no noise is generated. Makes export of the design also possible by just removing the nuke reactor and replacing it with diesel generators.

The idea of using lower enrichment fuel is also great. Reduces risk and saves precious weapons grade nuclear fuel for making weapons. Only thing is, you need a nuclear industry to keep your subs fueled every 10 year. Not a bad option.

May be, it might be able to export it or lease it to India...

Or help india in miniaturizing an electricty generating nuclear reactor to drive a 4000-4500 ton submerged sub. That way France can provide subs and India can integrate integrate nuclear power plant as a massive module.

If IN can opt for it for its P-75(I) it will be great!

I also love the design concept of French SSNs that they combine elements of Diesel Electric subs with that of a nuclear sub
in fact no.
Barracuda was studied as a SSN from scratch.
Short fins Barracuda used the hull of its father, but it was a 95% new sub.

P75(I) is really a small sub to integrate a nuc reactor. May be too small.
French Rubis SSN class is small, so not so quiet, and the numbers of weapons in board very limited.

Once you decide to invest 1 billion $ (and maybe some more) for a sub, better to add some millions to have a more suitable sub, bigger (more comfort for the crew, more weapons, more goodies to reduce the noise, bigger sonar...)

Barracuda was studied as a SSN from scratch.
Indeed, but it replaces reactor and gear driven propulsion with purely electric propulsion.

Short fins Barracuda used the hull of its father, but it was a 95% new sub.
What is the propulsion system of Shortfin? is it all electric? I think Ocean SMX concept was that.

P75(I) is really a small sub to integrate a nuc reactor. May be too small.
Didn't France offer shortfin Barracuda and Ocean SMX for this project? Those are 4000 tonnes submerged subs with longer endurance.

I don't think they are small.

Last edited:
No more serious source than i.d.r.w/firstpost? Nothing official from the Indian side?
Nothing official from the French side either. I am circumspect.

It is the nuc reactor that is difficult to produce.
In case we sell a SSN, the situation would have been the same (limitation of our industrial base).Not a single news in France.... Just imagine such a deal after the AUKUS blow ! => it is a fake news. :unsure:

Did you hear anything before AUCKUS ? No you didn't . No side announces such deals in advance . What you have are speculations by one or both sides . Ditto for the 26 nos MRCBF tender . This will continue till Macron concludes his visit to India .

• Agree
Reactions: Bon Plan
I doubt France will be able to sell SSN easily.

But that said, a 4000 ton Barracuda Shortfin / Ocean SMX looks enticing! I also love the design concept of French SSNs that they combine elements of Diesel Electric subs with that of a nuclear sub. Basically, the recent french SSN is a underwater nuclear electric power-plant while propulsion is purely electric. They even have batteries to switch in an extra stealth mode in which no noise is generated. Makes export of the design also possible by just removing the nuke reactor and replacing it with diesel generators.

The idea of using lower enrichment fuel is also great. Reduces risk and saves precious weapons grade nuclear fuel for making weapons. Only thing is, you need a nuclear industry to keep your subs fueled every 10 year. Not a bad option.

May be, it might be able to export it or lease it to India...

Or help india in miniaturizing an electricty generating nuclear reactor to drive a 4000-4500 ton submerged sub. That way France can provide subs and India can integrate integrate nuclear power plant as a massive module.

We are not gonna buy a French SSN if it doesn't come with a French reactor. We already have a bigger sub than the Shortfin planned via indigenous route.

Any import is gonna have to be a much larger sub with more stealth, sensors and firepower.

We are not gonna buy a French SSN if it doesn't come with a French reactor. We already have a bigger sub than the Shortfin planned via indigenous route.

Any import is gonna have to be a much larger sub with more stealth, sensors and firepower.
Our planned things take ...well.. you know arjun-class time.

They were talking about beginning construction in 2023, so it may already be in the review stage.
1st of its class takes more time , construction (certain subassemblies/sections) already happened/happening for testing purposes, test cycle is a long affair

Actual construction beginning imo 2025, or at best case 2024

1st of its class takes more time , construction (certain subassemblies/sections) already happened/happening for testing purposes, test cycle is a long affair

Actual construction beginning imo 2025, or at best case 2024

It's gonna be a big problem if it's pushed beyond 2024.

Based on the most recent reports, the SSN is actually awaiting CCS clearance. Very reliable source.

A Rs 48,000 crore project to build three indigenous SSNs has been pending Cabinet Committee on Security (CCS) approval since 2019.