Indian Aircraft Crash Notification

India's Mig-21s were introduced between 1964 and 1985. There may have been some piecemeal production of the Mig-21 after 1985, but would have been focused towards attrition replacements, but nearly 100% of what we operate today was introduced before 1985.
No wonder. It is the limit of MG21's lifespan. Is there any alternative to them? Gripen may be a good choice

No wonder. It is the limit of MG21's lifespan. Is there any alternative to them? Gripen may be a good choice

We have already ordered the LCA Mk1A. 2 squadrons of Mk1 and 4 of Mk1A will fill the gap. This will be followed by 6 squadrons of LCA Mk2.

Reactions: xxxxx

Look at the bright side - The rate at which the MiG-21s are crashing we won't need to retire them. Of course there's the minor issue of casualties but defenders of the MoD & IAF can always point out to the 1990s when casualty rates were much worse what with the MiG-21 / MiG-23 / MiG-27 crashing left right & centre especially the MiG-21s apart from other FAs.

Reactions: STEPHEN COHEN

Look at the bright side - The rate at which the MiG-21s are crashing we won't need to retire them. Of course there's the minor issue of casualties but defenders of the MoD & IAF can always point out to the 1990s when casualty rates were much worse what with the MiG-21 / MiG-23 / MiG-27 crashing left right & centre especially the MiG-21s apart from other FAs.

We were planning to make unmanned kamikaze drones with MiG 21

Somehow the pilots were under psychological pressure to land somehow at Wellington because he was flying the CDS

So the pilot was proceeding on a low level flight to avoid clouds but Rammed into a mountain side

IAF should make new rules that Bad weather means Back To Base
Rich, powerful and important people do this all the time and it drives me nuts.

Kobe died exactly this way.

Very true. One of the hazard of flying VIPs. I expected better from military leadership though. Soldiers understand ground reality much better.

Can't it be intentional?
Very unlikely. As all of the five crashes of Mi 17 v5, can be traced back to pilot error/human error. Also lack of mandatory safety system like HTAWS, TCAS and others like HTFR etc needs to be installed on each and every Civilian and military helicopters
With soldiers it happens every day.

No. It is the zeal of some idiots to save money which caused this crash and also many previous ones. The TCAS and EGPWS are available for helicopters also. But IAF did not get them installed.
It reeks of Babu directed decisions.

Best to leave our political inclinations aside.
My political inclination is right wing Hindu nationalism and capitalism. But I didn't mean to point out that by the reply. What I did mean that the idea among general ruling class that the lives of certain sections of Indian society are slightly less in worth if they are not large and United enough to form a vote bank.

I am not asking vvip chopper to be something out of a marvel movie. What I simply mean is that there are safety features, some in use in Dhruv MK3 even , which are considered a bare minimum in any vvip craft. And the vvip of India do travel in the same Mi17 fleet. Including our prime minister.

It took almost losing our financial capital in 2008 to make us realise the importance of coastal security.

Maybe death of a vvip politician or his/her son/daughter is what the citizens need , to realise that soldiers are not just for dieing. That is not meant to be their destiny.

Your post seem to indicate that CDS has pressurized without any proof. Pls do not do that.

Also, if pilots can be so easily pressurized, then do they belong to airforce?

Untill Modi or Rajnath or Amit Shah gets killed by this "vvip" chopper , we won't get a actual vvip chopper.

Why don't you blame those pilots who can't take a VVIP safely to destination?

I can not believe a missing piece of equipment can be *solely* blamed. Surely, pilots fault. Pilots should have known what they have / don't have on their machine.

Best to leave our political inclinations aside.
Yes, correct. Some real patriots liked that post as well.

Blame anything & everything on politicians / bureaucrats, and get away with it. Get some likes (from great patriots) as well as a bonus.

I have met some army folks in person (they are mid level). Their intelligence / knowledge is nothing extra-ordinary. That is when I realized, IA does not host all gems in it (I used think very very high about them previously). Could be same with airforce folks.

Can someone explain how experienced pilots can get dis-oriented in such a short flight?