Indian Aircraft Crash Notification

If we want second hand aircraft to fill in the deficit faster , why not we negotiate for older version of Rafale like Greece.
Again like M2000 , not many units of older Rafale are available to buy and even if we can find few, it will not be any cheaper than many brand new 4th gen fighters.

Our pilots are not Bollywood hero's to fight rifle men with knife or dodging bullet under the cover of bicycle.

I would like to imagine Mig21 with electronics from f22 & growler, skin of B2 ,weapon capacity of TU160 & g performance of Rafale as flying cost as cheep as glider.

There is a reason why IAF trains it's pilot on Mig21 and still deploys Mig21 that too in Sri Nagar. It did the job well. What else do you want? Have you seen brahmos missile? Now don't call it an old design and aerodynamically outdated. Check the similarities between the nose of Brahmos and Mig 21.
So you're saying if we could upgrade the engine of the MiG-21s , it'd be as good as new .

same design with use of better canopy glass, better avionics, and composites in the air frame. New R&D on the engine( this is the biggest challenge)

Is there any title for Stupidity on this forum?
And sorry WHOHE, It’s not for you.

BTW: I’ve got an Idea: Since Mig 21 is Tha BeSt and since the Brahmos aka Yakhont aka Oniks are same as Mig 21 without a Kursi to sit on. So why not HAL screw a Neel Kamal or a Durian Sofa if one has bigger Azz and make an fighter jet of Mercedes C class equivalent.
Damn those stupid Mig and Sukhoi and LM scientists who spend billions and billions for Su 57 and F35

What an Idea Sir Jee

Last edited:
What do you think the LCA program is all about then ?

It's a combination of the flying characteristics of Mirage2000 and Mig21 but then engine is the problem. This is why they are still using Mig21. I am of an opinion that, if they had developed exactly similar intake as of Mig21, this would have solved some problem for them.

It's a combination of the flying characteristics of Mirage2000 and Mig21 but then engine is the problem. This is why they are still using Mig21. I am of an opinion that, if they had developed exactly similar intake as of Mig21, this would have solved some problem for them.
I actually want to slap myself for engaging you. In fact that's precisely what I'm going to do.

I actually want to slap myself for engaging you. In fact that's precisely what I'm going to do.

it's about how intake functions. Inlet cones are more efficient than simple pitot intakes especially when we discuss pressure recovery, which is unacceptable when it is poor. Mirage 2000 has inlet cone, similar to Mig21 but at the sides. If you compare the efficiency of Mig21 inlet with F16, the latter has disadvantage. For dog fights it is an important characteristics.

it's about how intake functions. Inlet cones are more efficient than simple pitot intakes especially when we discuss pressure recovery, which is unacceptable when it is poor. Mirage 2000 has inlet cone, similar to Mig21 but at the sides. If you compare the efficiency of Mig21 inlet with F16, the latter has disadvantage.
So you think the Mikoyan design bureau and/or JSC design bureau of Russia and designers at Dassault were less knowledgable in fluid dynamics than you , when they chose Fixed inlet design with diverters in their future designs like Mig 29 ,Su 29/30/35/57/75 and Rafale and FCAS, over the Conical variable shock diffuser inlet present in Mig 21 and Mirages and countless third and fourth gen fighter jets ?
For dog fights it is an important characteristics.
Shhh... it’s secre information you are sharing here. I’m sure no one can find any source on internet to verify this secret.

So you think the Mikoyan design bureau and/or JSC design bureau of Russia and designers at Dassault were less knowledgable in fluid dynamics than you , when they chose Fixed inlet design with diverters over the Conical variable shock diffuser inlet present in Mig 21 and Mirages and countless third and fourth gen fighter jets ?

It's costly and complex not inferior.

It's costly and complex not inferior.
Another one from your wisdom. Can you provide any link supporting your claim?
Because as per some of the reputed Aviation magazines, it’s complex, bulky and quite frankly an unnecessary design for most of the subsonic and transonic flight envelop of a fighter jet, and provides marginal to no improvement in linear air flow even in supersonic regime over the modern Fixed inlet designs like we see in Rafale, Su 30, F22 etc.

Fixed inlet designs like we see in Rafale, Su 30, F22 etc.
To reduce the RCS. Butnow active stealth can compensate it.
and provides marginal to no improvement in linear air flow even in supersonic regime
That can be regulated through modeling. Swipe wing profile or delta wings and other sort of wing profile after calculating the influence coefficient over the wing panel. Then using simple application of Biot Savart law. Of course it requires research and 3-D modelling for that. As I said, it is possible and good area of research to define planform of the wing.

To reduce the RCS. Butnow active stealth can compensate it.
So Russians, British and French aircraft designers are Fools for not persisting with than conical inlet design?
That can be regulated through modeling. Swipe wing profile or delta wings and other sort of wing profile after calculating the influence coefficient over the wing panel. Then using simple application of Biot Savart law. Of course it requires research and 3-D modelling for that. As I said, it is possible and good area of research to define planform of the wing.
But why ? To satisfy your Fifth gen Yakhont 21 fighter jet dream?

There is a reason why IAF trains it's pilot on Mig21 and still deploys Mig21 that too in Sri Nagar. It did the job well. What else do you want? Have you seen brahmos missile? Now don't call it an old design and aerodynamically outdated. Check the similarities between the nose of Brahmos and Mig 21.

same design with use of better canopy glass, better avionics, and composites in the air frame. New R&D on the engine( this is the biggest challenge)
Yes, that reason is IAF failed to induct new aircraft that fits the role Mig21 is doing for years. We failed to bring reasonably capable Tejas even today.
And here you are comparing a missile with an aircraft.

Yes, that reason is IAF failed to induct new aircraft that fits the role Mig21 is doing for years. We failed to bring reasonably capable Tejas even today.
And here you are comparing a missile with an aircraft.

What if Tejas started crashing while the dangerous training they are doing? You will then say retire Tejas.

The future of high altitude dog fight is cone shock intake

What if Tejas started crashing while the dangerous training they are doing? You will then say retire Tejas.

The future of high altitude dog fight is cone shock intake
If it is due to structural failure, ys it should be. In that case,I will tell, we should retire Tejas & shutdown AMCA, TEDBF program and go for any really credible, capable fighter.

Mig crash numbers as of 02/May/2012
A total of 872 MiG aircraft of various types were purchased from 1966-1980. The MiG series aircraft were inducted starting from MiG-21 in 1960s/1970s to MiG-29 in 1980s. These aircraft were purchased as per rules/procedures of that period. At present the procurement of capital equipment is carried out as per Defence Procurement Procedure.

The training of initial batches of pilots for MiG series aircraft was carried out in erstwhile USSR, followed by training for the rest of the pilots in India. The procurement cases involving Russian origin MiG-21 Bis& MiG-27 aircraft involved Transfer of Technology (ToT) and license production by HAL.

482 MiG aircraft accidents took place since Financial Year (FY) 1971-72 to FY 2012-13 (till 19th April 2012).

A total of 171 pilots, 39 civilians, 8 service personnel and 1 aircrew lost their lives in these accidents. The causes of accidents were both human error and technical defects.

This information was given by Minister of Defence Shri AK Antony in a written reply to Shri Vijay Jawaharlal Darda in Rajya Sabha today.

* saving for posterity

I found that most of the MG21s were produced between 1985 and 1992 and have a history of 30 years, while most of Pakistan’s J7PGs were produced in 1998. Perhaps this is the reason for the frequent crashes of the Indian Air Force MG21

I found that most of the MG21s were produced between 1985 and 1992 and have a history of 30 years, while most of Pakistan’s J7PGs were produced in 1998. Perhaps this is the reason for the frequent crashes of the Indian Air Force MG21

India's Mig-21s were introduced between 1964 and 1985. There may have been some piecemeal production of the Mig-21 after 1985, but would have been focused towards attrition replacements, but nearly 100% of what we operate today was introduced before 1985.

Reactions: Chain Smoker