Indian AESA Radar Developments

increased attenuation at X band during heavy rain reduce its range compared to say C or S band but this can be overcome using brute power or modern efficient X band radars like AN/SPY-3. no doubt that X band are best suited for the job given there size and power limitation can be overcome which is possible now given advancement in material science.... but aren't we discussing using lower band radars for targeting capabilities ?
Totally indeed. Just saying we are behind in X-band.

What you talking about ?Phoenix AAM by E-2D? Phoenix AAM was retired in early millennium and E-2D program was not started until 2007.

And here

Ok, just read the article. And going by this concept too, it take a whole lot more than AN/APY-9 to generate a good enough tack. It’s just one sensor in amongst the pool of sensors.

Ok, just read the article. And going by this concept too, it take a whole lot more than AN/APY-9 to generate a good enough tack. It’s just one sensor in amongst the pool of sensors.
Obviously CEC is always about fusion and cooperative targeting and work as force multiplier.
Screenshot_20200520-164535_Chrome.jpg

But E-2D capable to provide firing solution.

Reactions: Nikhil
Obviously CEC is always about fusion and cooperative targeting and work as force multiplier.View attachment 15948

But E-2D capable to provide firing solution.
By that logic even a small sensor located in remote desert can provide
firing solutions too.
Even in the official video, it was DDG which was tracking the hostile SAM and Fighter jet, because it has S band radar, others were contributing to the data.

UHF/VHF radar have poor resolution and are susceptible to jamming but as mentioned above space time adaptive/ processing can be used to overcome poor resolution problem. but can it be used for providing accurate firing solution for a missile ? Look like E-2D has such capability.
I was looking at this nebo-M radar complex brochure and it say it has a resolution of 500mt and range of 500km for 1m2 target.

EFXdULAVAAAcjfa.jpeg

now can it be used to say guide a big S 400 missile like 48n6E or 40N6 just close enough before there huge seekers take over for terminal engagement.
These missiles have a big Radome.

C2uPyKHWQAACk4x (1).jpeg

C2uPyIDW8AAhkSh (1).jpeg

firing solutions too.
Even in the official video, it was DDG which was tracking the hostile SAM and Fighter jet, because it has S band radar, others were contributing to the data.
Yes given that problem plaguing it can be overcome.

Reactions: Chain Smoker
UHF/VHF radar have poor resolution and are susceptible to jamming but as mentioned above space time adaptive/ processing can be used to overcome poor resolution problem. but can it be used for providing accurate firing solution for a missile ? Look like E-2D has such capability.
I was looking at this nebo-M radar complex brochure and it say it has a resolution of 500mt and range of 500km for 1m2 target.

View attachment 15947

now can it be used to say guide a big S 400 missile like 48n6E or 40N6 just close enough before there huge seekers take over for terminal engagement.
These missiles have a big Radome.

View attachment 15949

View attachment 15950

Yes given that problem plaguing it can be overcome.
That’s why I said that except US, Japan and possibly France Nevy no one currently poses such capability. Turkey developing CEC is like Pakistan designing F1 car. I mean it’s in the realm of possibility but it’s almost impossible.

Last edited:
Reactions: Chain Smoker
That’s why I said that except US and possibly France Nevy no one currently poses such capability. Turkey developing CEC is like Pakistan designing F1 car. I mean it’s in the realm of possibility but it’s almost impossible.
Powerful GaN based X band AESA FCR are the best bet then. let say if one manage to put a radar like an/typ-2 on a plane.
than one can provide a firing solution for a ground base missile hidden say close to Pakistani border or long range AAM to shoot down an f 16 or there awacs flying deep in Pakistani airspace while your plane fly comfortable over central India.
is it possible?

Reactions: AbRaj
firing solutions too.
so whats your point?
That’s why I said that except US, Japan and possibly France Nevy no one currently poses such capability. Turkey developing CEC is like Pakistan designing F1 car. I mean it’s in the realm of possibility but it’s almost impossible.
Our CEC of P-15A/B/P-17A is also based on S-band/MF-STAR.

Reactions: AbRaj
Powerful GaN based X band AESA FCR are the best bet then. let say if one manage to put a radar like an/typ-2 on a plane.
than one can provide a firing solution for a ground base missile hidden say close to Pakistani border or long range AAM to shoot down an f 16 or there awacs flying deep in Pakistani airspace while your plane fly comfortable over central India.
is it possible?
Yes,But then power and size constraints will come into picture.

so whats your point?

Our CEC of P-15A/B/P-17A is also based on S-band/MF-STAR.
My point is a High Frequency/Short wavelength radar is must for cueing. You can supplement it but can’t replace it with any Low frequency radars.

BTW have we tested our CEC capability yet ?
We do have all the components necessary . It’s high time we should fast track the development.

That is US . Our entire CEC , even of our BMD is based on S /L/UHF band.
some one claimed our Falcon AWACS and even NETRA has target cueing capability?
I can’t even find in which bandwidth they operate. Do you have any idea?
And is their any source confirming that claim?

Are the at least integrated in something like CEC ?
I believe we have sufficient number and quality of sensors along border and in airspace to create our own CEC

some one claimed our Falcon AWACS and even NETRA has target cueing capability?
I can’t even find in which bandwidth they operate. Do you have any idea?
And is their any source confirming that claim?

I don't think so, till now only Navy showcased/displayed CEC. Even if Phalcon or emb-145 AEW&CS hold CEC capability, it is useless.
AF needs to develop data protocols for CEC, and equip aircraft with Data Links. And then demonstrate such capability, Right now only Tejas Mk1A and Rafale will have DL capabilities .

Yes,But then power and size constraints will come into picture.
That can be overcome using GaN right?
That is US . Our entire CEC , even of our BMD is based on S /L/UHF band.

10762849_addtext122103_14_40_jpeg0b918d5e27e9a3fc381a8856991fc6d6.jpeg

This DRDO S band AESA(GaN) can track a golf ball size target more than 2000 km away( source Other Forum). It's probably being used in Indian ABM system for cueing.
as you said that india BMD is based on S/L/UHF band and if this thing can track a golf ball size target more than 2000 km away as claimed and provide a firing solution than it can also track a F-22 more than 700km away. Why not put a slimmer version of it on a plane for OTH capability for time being to provide firing solution for ground base SAM or long range AAM ? as @Arpit sad that we lag in building X band radar. we can use lower band for targeting until X band FCR come along.
@randomradio is it possible?

View attachment 15951

This DRDO S band AESA(GaN) can track a golf ball size target more than 2000 km away( source Other Forum). It's probably being used in Indian ABM system for cueing.
as you said that india BMD is based on S/L/UHF band and if this thing can track a golf ball size target more than 2000 km away as claimed and provide a firing solution than it can also track a F-22 more than 700km away. Why not put a slimmer version of it on a plane for OTH capability for time being to provide firing solution for ground base SAM or long range AAM ? as @Arpit sad that we lag in building X band radar. we can use lower band for targeting until X band FCR come along.
I don’t know anything about it man. I’m just an enthusiast.
The radar looks similar to Green Pine. Which itself is very capable dual band radar.
2000 km seems exaggerated but then it’s not impossible.
Do we have any X band radar?

Last edited:

View attachment 15951

Our BMD uses X band for targeting. It's a radar from France developed jointly.

We also have our own X band radars coming up.

Our BMD uses X band for targeting. It's a radar from France developed jointly.

We also have our own X band radars coming up.
is it MFCR which is coming.
With the Phalcon, no. With NETRA, it's possible, but not sure if it has been implemented.

Otherwise, except Astra, which is our own missile, other missiles will not have any sort of integration with our AWACS.
can you elaborate how it is done? can porkis really do this with chinese awacs and pl 15.

My point is a High Frequency/Short wavelength radar is must for cueing. You can supplement it but can’t replace it with any Low frequency radars.

BTW have we tested our CEC capability yet ?
We do have all the components necessary . It’s high time we should fast track the development.
yes we have CEC capability it was tested last year.