HAL Indian Multirole Helicopter (IMRH) : Updates & Discussions

Well you claimed quite a bit on htt40 vs pc7 threads, those moves would put the dear departed MJ to shame. But your PC7 stuff was remarkable.

View attachment 19363

View attachment 19364

View attachment 19366

All that was before the CBI stepped in.

Compare dates.

I had already mentioned it, in my world it's innocent until proven guilty.

Reactions: GuardianRED
The best part is the IMRH coming in 2025-27 too won't have FBW. Besides the helos coming around that time line in Europe & US will probably have FBL if not FBW & state of the art design. HAL seems content to rehash old designs & IAF / IA seem resigned to it's fate with most members here agreeing it's the best we can do & it's not even 2022 yet - the magical year for those who came in late which was supposed to revolutionize & revitalise our defense industry & acquisitions.

Reactions: Killbot
Yep. TM 333 that we use has FADEC.
So after decades of experience with Shakthi engine,we still looking abroad for another Turboshaft engine instead of developing by our own.
If this is the case,how we will get self sufficient with jet engine? No matter who haves the tech (RR or snecma) we will not develop another engine.

• Haha
Reactions: Amal and Tatvamasi
So after decades of experience with Shakthi engine,we still looking abroad for another Turboshaft engine instead of developing by our own.
If this is the case,how we will get self sufficient with jet engine? No matter who haves the tech (RR or snecma) we will not develop another engine.

I'm wondering how you came to that conclusion from my post.

Reactions: Amal and Killbot
I'm wondering how you came to that conclusion from my post.

#Hydra logic

Reactions: Amal
Does any of our choppers have Fly by Wire ?
@Gautam
@randomradio
@Gautam
FYI Z 20 is the first Chinese rotorcraft to use fly by wire
Its too expensive. What we have on current helicopters is halfway there. HAL has developed AFCS which is a digital four-axis flight control system.

Newer military helicopters like the UH-60M have digital advanced flight control systems, which are often confused with fly-by-wire technology. Digital flight controls involve layering computer hardware and software over the aircraft’s existing mechanical systems. Instead of the pilot directly moving the linkages — the control arms, push-pull tubes and the like — his stick-and-rudder inputs feed into electronics that communicate with those linkages to alter the corresponding control surfaces.

In a true fly-by-wire system, there are no mechanical linkages.

Its too expensive. What we have on current helicopters is halfway there. HAL has developed AFCS which is a digital four-axis flight control system.

Although it's expensive, the real problems are difficulty in future modifications and immature technology which makes it dangerous when operating over the Himalayas where manual control is more important.

There's no point in getting FBW if the pilot has to resort to manual control most of the time. Operating in treacherous conditions requires highly skilled and experienced pilots, FBW is a liability in those conditions. Maybe 10 or 20 years down the line it will become mature enough to be used anywhere.

Reactions: JustCurious
As a layman, we're expected to believe that an ecosystem that developed as complicated a FCL as for the LCA program ( touchwood, no crashes till date) can't develop a FCL for the IMRH!!

Why isn't Selective optimism castrated, Eshwin? After all so many videos of mine of your rival Ameit lands up in the bin. @Ashwin

• Haha
Reactions: AbRaj

The IMRH will have several unique aspects, including a design that will allow it to operate with two different engines so that it does not remain dependent on any one source.

I was under the impression these hptrs were to be powered by the indigenously built HTSE series.

We're developing the 25KN HTFE aren't we ? How long would modification & certification take ?
It's a TD project using internal funding. Can't even say it will be a success at this point. Certification is 5+ years away.

It's a TD project using internal funding. Can't even say it will be a success at this point. Certification is 5+ years away.
The first IMRH prototype itself is expected to fly in 2025-26 with a full 5 yr certification period to follow.

Sometimes the Indian aerospace ecosystem amazes me . Here we had Tejas & not having built a single jet fighter ( discounting the Marut experience which by the 1980's had become redundant) or having the necessary industrial ecosystem or expertise we went in for indigenous design, R&D of the engine , avionics like radar, etc, FCL, FBW, composite skin, etc.

Today, here we are with the IMRH a full 2 decades + of having successfully developed a full family of light hptrs viz ALH with it's various iterations & derivatives & what are we attempting in the next project? Zero . We've swung to the opposite end of the pendulum.

The IMRH isn't a revolutionary design, there's no FBW, we aren't even attempting to build an indigenous engine. Forget revolutionary, we aren't even going evolutionary.

Being ex HAL, I'd be very interested in your take on this . @Milspec

Reactions: JustCurious