Defence Research and Development Organisation (DRDO) : News and Updates

Chain Smoker

Well-Known member
Mar 2, 2020
742
591
india
Any idea about the laser output.
6 laser beams are combined here.
@Gautam @randomradio
IMG_20210722_140158.jpg
 
  • Informative
Reactions: Gautam

Gautam

Moderator
Feb 16, 2019
12,693
9,946
Tripura, NE, India
Any idea about the laser output.
6 laser beams are combined here.
@Gautam @randomradioView attachment 20346
Very interesting specs. What is this from ?

They are using water for cooling. Then the laser must be a Solid State laser. Water cooling is very risky & complicated business for Gas Dynamic lasers. Solid state lasers have an efficiency ~40%. That means 40% of the supplied power is converted to laser, the rest 60% is waste heat.

69kW is heat load of the laser. Assuming total power supplied to the laser source is "x". Then :

69= 60% of x
x= (69*100)/60 = 115kW

Therefore power of laser = 40% of x = (40*115)/100= 46 kW

A 46 kW Solid State Laser is pretty good for many military uses. The scalability of Solid State Lasers makes it very desirable for military applications.
 

AbRaj

Senior member
Dec 6, 2017
2,490
1,829
Republic of Wadiya
A dehumidifier integrated into the laser cooling system. Interesting.
It seems DRDO assumes the system will see prolonged deployments in very humid environments. May be the LORDS will become a component of coastal security in the future.
Naval use I assume. And I believe it’s the right approach considering that naval vessels do have sufficient power and space for such a power hungry weapon.
 

Chain Smoker

Well-Known member
Mar 2, 2020
742
591
india
Very interesting specs. What is this from ?

They are using water for cooling. Then the laser must be a Solid State laser. Water cooling is very risky & complicated business for Gas Dynamic lasers. Solid state lasers have an efficiency ~40%. That means 40% of the supplied power is converted to laser, the rest 60% is waste heat.

69kW is heat load of the laser. Assuming total power supplied to the laser source is "x". Then :

69= 60% of x
x= (69*100)/60 = 115kW

Therefore power of laser = 40% of x = (40*115)/100= 46 kW

A 46 kW Solid State Laser is pretty good for many military uses. The scalability of Solid State Lasers makes it very desirable for military applications.
From tender I think it's the same 50kw laser system which drdo chief revealed about. And yes it will have ship motion compensation.
 
  • Informative
Reactions: Gautam