China Signs 25-Year Deal With Iran in Challenge to the U.S.

It's possible, I have a lawnmower that works like that but I'd wager that a lawnmower battery is considerably lighter than a car battery. In fact, quick Google says a Tesla P100D battery is 625kg. So unless you are Bruce Banner, Clark Kent or Steve Rogers, a battery swap is probably out, unless it can be automated, which would probably be near as expensive as buying a second car and swapping car instead. Also of note is that the battery weighs more than the original Rover Mini.

Not on Tesla. May be on Chevvy volt? 200 KG. That can be done using standard equipment. I was thinking of "charge loading points" where they load up your card with a new battery set and take old set for charging.

• Agree
Reactions: BMD
Not on Tesla. May be on Chevvy volt? 200 KG. That can be done using standard equipment. I was thinking of "charge loading points" where they load up your card with a new battery set and take old set for charging.
True but you would still need a winch of some kind.

@Ginvincible @Volcano

What do you guys think about the Iran-China deal?

I think the importance of this deal will vary based on how hostile US is going to be with Iran. Unlike the trump administration who's policy was open hostility and regime change, Biden seem to want to reduce the hostilities.

For China, a hostile US-Iran relation is preferable over a less hostile relationship. Hostile US-Iran relation mean total dependence on China and another military and diplomatic distraction of US in the new cold war. It's clear everyone at this point that a new cold war began and China US relationship is comparative under both republican and Democrat governments.

US getting dragged into Middle east further is in the interest of China and they can prop up Iran to do that job for them. Iran can cause severe destabilisation in middle east, especially in Saudi and Iraq forcing US to divert more political and military capital to the region. The inability of the gulf states to defend against Iran also means that America will have to do that job for them. I don't see any reason for China to miss out on this opportunity. Any distraction to US military and political effort against China is good news for China, more time they gain, more powerful they are.

However, of Biden succeed in ending the US-Iran hostility and re enter nuclear deal and remove sanctions, the chance of open hostility decrease by great margins. An Iran with more economic options is not a preferred situation for China.

I think the importance of this deal will vary based on how hostile US is going to be with Iran. Unlike the trump administration who's policy was open hostility and regime change, Biden seem to want to reduce the hostilities.

For China, a hostile US-Iran relation is preferable over a less hostile relationship. Hostile US-Iran relation mean total dependence on China and another military and diplomatic distraction of US in the new cold war. It's clear everyone at this point that a new cold war began and China US relationship is comparative under both republican and Democrat governments.

US getting dragged into Middle east further is in the interest of China and they can prop up Iran to do that job for them. Iran can cause severe destabilisation in middle east, especially in Saudi and Iraq forcing US to divert more political and military capital to the region. The inability of the gulf states to defend against Iran also means that America will have to do that job for them. I don't see any reason for China to miss out on this opportunity. Any distraction to US military and political effort against China is good news for China, more time they gain, more powerful they are.

However, of Biden succeed in ending the US-Iran hostility and re enter nuclear deal and remove sanctions, the chance of open hostility decrease by great margins. An Iran with more economic options is not a preferred situation for China.

This covers one aspect, ie the US-China great game. For me, the biggest concern is Iran getting rich and militarising and how it affects India.

If the US stays hostile, then the Chinese pump money into Iran. If the US becomes less hostile and sanctions are lifted, then many countries will pump money into Iran (India, S Korea, Japan etc). The issue is in either case, Iran gets richer, and a rich Iran is bad news for India. They won't be any better than Turkey, worse in fact, and they will even begin interefering inside India (which they have currently avoided doing), plus they will destabilise the ME even more, which is bad from the PoV of all our investments and dependence on oil and gas.

It wouldn't be as much of a problem if this happened 10 years down the line, when our dependence on oil would start decreasing in another 5+ years after that. But now we have 15-20 years of oil dependence to contend with and a more belligerent and aggressive Iran fanning the fire in the ME.

Our Shia population has been largely insulated from radicalism, but that may change if Iran gets richer.

This covers one aspect, ie the US-China great game. For me, the biggest concern is Iran getting rich and militarising and how it affects India.

If the US stays hostile, then the Chinese pump money into Iran. If the US becomes less hostile and sanctions are lifted, then many countries will pump money into Iran (India, S Korea, Japan etc). The issue is in either case, Iran gets richer, and a rich Iran is bad news for India. They won't be any better than Turkey, worse in fact, and they will even begin interefering inside India (which they have currently avoided doing), plus they will destabilise the ME even more, which is bad from the PoV of all our investments and dependence on oil and gas.

It wouldn't be as much of a problem if this happened 10 years down the line, when our dependence on oil would start decreasing in another 5+ years after that. But now we have 15-20 years of oil dependence to contend with and a more belligerent and aggressive Iran fanning the fire in the ME.

Our Shia population has been largely insulated from radicalism, but that may change if Iran gets richer.
Can you please back up your statements on how iran will interfere in Indian affairs ? Other than few idiots here & there Iran hardly has any big influence in India. Only time these idiots have been caught is when acting against Israel or taking a procession in kashmir.

A strong Iran will give India more flexibility,
1) They will make pakistan uncomfortable. (remember taliban in afghanistan)
2) Saudis & other anti Iran countries wont wag their tail much . ( Iran selling oil in open market will bring down oil price & pakistan can also not play muslim card)
3) India gets importance bcos of actions by countries like china, iran. Remove them at your own risk and India will be next target. If these countries are beaten down then why would US even care to be nice to us?

Can you please back up your statements on how iran will interfere in Indian affairs ? Other than few idiots here & there Iran hardly has any big influence in India. Only time these idiots have been caught is when acting against Israel or taking a procession in kashmir.

By funding the radicalisation of Shia Muslims through mosques, the same way Turkey does.

A strong Iran will give India more flexibility,
1) They will make pakistan uncomfortable. (remember taliban in afghanistan)
2) Saudis & other anti Iran countries wont wag their tail much . ( Iran selling oil in open market will bring down oil price & pakistan can also not play muslim card)
3) India gets importance bcos of actions by countries like china, iran. Remove them at your own risk and India will be next target. If these countries are beaten down then why would US even care to be nice to us?

1 is not fine since the GCC will start funding Pakistan to counter Iran's rise, which will obviously affect our relations with the GCC.

2 is bad for us, because we need oil to be cheap and supply to be a constant. We can't afford to have the Iranians attacking Saudi oil facilities every time something happens. Let's not forget Iran funds wars in the ME, the more money they have the bigger the wars, the more expensive is oil. Also goes back to point 1.

3 will happen anyway because of China. India is important to the West because of China. And India is important to the GCC because of the size of our market, not to mention our influence will continue to grow all over the world.

There's another point where Iran will destabilise Afghanistan and affect our connectivity with Central Asia. This again goes back to point 1.

There's no good news with Iran getting rich before its time. Iran's rise is inevitable, but it should happen at its own time, preferably by the time India becomes like today's China while also possessing technology that makes oil significantly less important, along with a richer and better educated population.

In fact, Iran's current status is good for all three points. Pakistan is wary of Iran, not very worried, but it's enough for them to keep an eye on Iran. GCC is not significantly threatened, but even the current situation is difficult for them to manage, with Yemen and Syria at their sides. India still retains importance even today and in the future for both the GCC and Iran because of our large market and our strategic heft, this will never change.

I largely agree with your assessment of Mullah regime's long term potential threat to India. Iran does have huge ambitions and positioning themselves as the voice of Shias is one of its objectives. Today, we can see picture of ayatollah in almost every mosque and Shia religious institutions in Kargil. I assume it's same in other parts of the country as well. Iran is not a moderate state and they could pose issues to the region in the future.

However, Iran also have interests not to fund Shia radicalism in India. If you look at the 90s, Iran didn't tried to fund radicalism in India. Biggest threat of Shia radicalism is to Pakistan who already have numerous Sunni radical organisation. With almost 40 million Shias, any Iranian expansion attempt will pit Iran against Pakistan, it's immediate neighbor, especially in Balochistan province. Organisations like BLF believed to have already receiving logistical support from Iran. Iranian Balochistan have a Sunni insurgency supported by Sunni radical organisations in Pak Balochistan, with multiple insurgent bases inside Pakistan. Iran is using Baloch nationalists in Pakistan against Sunni radical outfits.

Given the current choices, I will prefer the Biden's way of dealing with Iran over Trump's. Hostility between US and Iran will not end since it's ideological, they will continue with less intensity. Trump's Iran policy essential cut all Indian economic activity to Iran, while China managed to continue its economic relations and hence gaining more influence.

Threat posed by an assertive Iran to India is not immediate and is not easy to predict. With Arabs and Israel joining hands, Iran is not going to have any easy road forward either.

I largely agree with your assessment of Mullah regime's long term potential threat to India. Iran does have huge ambitions and positioning themselves as the voice of Shias is one of its objectives. Today, we can see picture of ayatollah in almost every mosque and Shia religious institutions in Kargil. I assume it's same in other parts of the country as well. Iran is not a moderate state and they could pose issues to the region in the future.

However, Iran also have interests not to fund Shia radicalism in India. If you look at the 90s, Iran didn't tried to fund radicalism in India. Biggest threat of Shia radicalism is to Pakistan who already have numerous Sunni radical organisation. With almost 40 million Shias, any Iranian expansion attempt will pit Iran against Pakistan, it's immediate neighbor, especially in Balochistan province. Organisations like BLF believed to have already receiving logistical support from Iran. Iranian Balochistan have a Sunni insurgency supported by Sunni radical organisations in Pak Balochistan, with multiple insurgent bases inside Pakistan. Iran is using Baloch nationalists in Pakistan against Sunni radical outfits.

Given the current choices, I will prefer the Biden's way of dealing with Iran over Trump's. Hostility between US and Iran will not end since it's ideological, they will continue with less intensity. Trump's Iran policy essential cut all Indian economic activity to Iran, while China managed to continue its economic relations and hence gaining more influence.

Threat posed by an assertive Iran to India is not immediate and is not easy to predict. With Arabs and Israel joining hands, Iran is not going to have any easy road forward either.

My guess is China will make Iran prioritise India after a few years. Primarily in the form of radicalising Shias in preparation for the future. This will easily go under the radar, so we will start seeing its effects after a long time. So while Iran works against Israel and the GCC overtly, they will work covertly against India. If Turkey is already doing it, alongside the Saudis, then Iran is obviously gonna target India next. We are simply too soft a target, which doesn't speak well for the Muslims in general.

And yeah, I prefer the way the Democrats deal with Iran. The Trump-Israeli way doesn't work unless they are prepared to invade Iran.

In the long run, I don't think the GCC and Israel can really challenge Iran. Especially if Iran becomes richer far too quickly instead of on its own time.

Reactions: Volcano