Blast from the past : EW over Kashmir in Feb 2019

Um... The SDR we bought from Israel was a tender we initiated in 2013. And we signed the contract a few days before the IAF's Balakot attack.
Yes! That is what is perplexing me. The only reason for such a stupid delay of 6 years and such a precise timing was that some babu realised that he has dropped the ball and IAF was about to be caught pants down. So he saved his *censored* by putting the contract just days before India's strike and blamed it on funds. Later when India was actually caught pants down and everyone's collective arses were whipped, they went for emergency purchase route to clear the funds and bought it -- Made in India or Timbaktoo.

• Haha
Reactions: Rajput Lion
At a ceremony earlier today (February 20, 2019) at the 2019 Aero India defense exhibition in Bengaluru, India, Rafael Advanced Defense Systems CEO, Major General (ret.) Yoav Har-Even, presented Chief Operations Officer of ASTRA RAFAEL COMSYS PVT LTD (ARC), Brigadier Ravi Hariharan with a $30 million purchase order for the manufacture, test-before-integration, and lifecycle support management for a complete set of the BNet Software Defined Radio system for the Indian Air Force. This order is the first contract for ARC, the joint venture between Rafael and India’s Astra Microwave Products Ltd.

Balakot attack date: Feb 26th, 2019.
Yes, my point exactly. I have posted the same link and material. Someone pushed for placing this order because they knew about this vulnerability and were playing tender tinder for all this time from 2013 to 2019. I mean who the hell takes so much time in buying a modern comm link? It was a total 30 million dollar contract after all not 30 billion dollar. All this babu-giri is responsible for our loss.

Yes! That is what is perplexing me. The only reason for such a stupid delay of 6 years and such a precise timing was that some babu realised that he has dropped the ball and IAF was about to be caught pants down. So he saved his *censored* by putting the contract just days before India's strike and blamed it on funds. Later when India was actually caught pants down and everyone's collective arses were whipped, they went for emergency purchase route to clear the funds and bought it -- Made in India or Timbaktoo.

I doubt people in the bureaucracy or procurement had any idea about the attacks. The tender had finished quite some time ago, and it coincidentally coincided with the Balakot attacks. Meaning, negotiations would have finished months prior to the signature, so even before the Pulwama attack took place on the 14th.

This is not propaganda. There are tell tale signs of our EW vunlerability. IAF decided to procure BNet Software Defined Radio communication equipments immediately through emergency purchase just after Feb 2019. In April 2019, India issued an emergency procurement of BNet Software defined radio communication equipments for IAF. This is well documented in israeli and indian sources that weakness of communication was the reason why Abhinandan vartman did not bug out of precarious situation. Remember, he would have been dead and is very very lucky to be alive.

Are you assuming because it’s a SDR so it can’t be jammed?

It’s in radio frequency, everything can be jammed, otherwise why US dedicated so many resources in developing MADL.

The reason by IAF to go all out on SDR after 2019 was entirely different, rather than jamming. And purchase negotiations and developing softwares and encryption was going on long before that.

It’s in radio frequency, everything can be jammed, otherwise why US dedicated so many resources in developing MADL.

The reason by IAF to go all out on SDR after 2019 was entirely different, rather than jamming. And purchase negotiations and developing softwares and encryption was going on long before that.
BNET is extremely hard to jam as it's highly directional and can form really narrow beam for interplatform connectivity.

It can create an ad hock Mobile network on the fly and is completely free of GPS. Heck, it's even more advance than SDRs used in most European/American fighters. And since the software is developed by us, so we would continue to upgrade and enhance its capabilities.

There are modulation techniques that are harder to jam than other. Like spread spectrum and frquncy hopping is much harder to jam. Software defined radio allows more flexibility in choosing modulation, frequency and transmission power.

There are modulation techniques that are harder to jam than other. Like spread spectrum and frquncy hopping is much harder to jam. Software defined radio allows more flexibility in choosing modulation, frequency and transmission power.
I have told you, it wasn’t jamming, and several other told you the same. And BNET was offered to India since 2012, and ODL since 2007. And work on it was going on since then. The problem IAF facing was something else.

If you still want to believe it’s jamming, then good.

Most probably IAF thought that they will be able to manage without any new EW capabilities. But I would say what ever happened that day was a blessing in disguise. They atleast know now that for China the capabilities have to be enhanced to much higher level.
Its been 5 years since feb27,2009. Wht additional capabilities we added?
Mmrca stll not started evaluation
No new awacs added ( i dont consider instruction to develop is an addition as on today).
I don't what they are doing with aerial refueling tender,I think even IAF don't have idea on it.
Another joke is caping the number of Chinook to mere 15.
ISTAR tender was on file for ages.
Lastly, IAF dint have anything on stealth aircraft induction.
Feb 26 was executed with almost secrecy. There is no way that babus got info prior and approved the procurement.
It was the DRDO who oppose SDR procurement as they promised to design one for IAF.

SDR is not jam proof I think, but certain that they were not able to tap conversation. If the members from our wester neighbor to be beleived, PAF even managed to get the call sign of our mki in sky .
BNET is extremely hard to jam as it's highly directional and can form really narrow beam for interplatform connectivity.

It can create an ad hock Mobile network on the fly and is completely free of GPS. Heck, it's even more advance than SDRs used in most European/American fighters. And since the software is developed by us, so we would continue to upgrade and enhance its capabilities.
BNET is an Israeli one,right?

I have told you, it wasn’t jamming, and several other told you the same. And BNET was offered to India since 2012, and ODL since 2007. And work on it was going on since then. The problem IAF facing was something else.

If you still want to believe it’s jamming, then good.
It was jamming. Otherwise what was the reason for procuring these SDRs on an emergency basis?

Also, the much-needed Software Defined Radios (SDR) have finally been ordered from Israel which will help secure communication without fear of jamming.

SDR is not jam proof I think, but certain that they were not able to tap conversation. If the members from our wester neighbor to be beleived, PAF even managed to get the call sign of our mki in sky .
In signals, you can always drawn signal in noise if noise is more powerful and vice versa. This is basic signals. Advantage with SDR is you can quickly reconfigure the radios to use modulation, baseband frequence, encoding etc to your needs. Various parameters have pro and cons. Ultimately, you are capable of emitting a certain amount of energy as radio waves. You have to decide where (in frequency domain) and how (varying what) it should be emitted. SDR only makes is very flexible.

So yes, nothing is jam proof but SDR is more jam resistant because it is more flexible.

Reactions: screambowl
Feb 26 was executed with almost secrecy. There is no way that babus got info prior and approved the procurement.
It was the DRDO who oppose SDR procurement as they promised to design one for IAF.
Its quite simple. During mission prep, it must have been asked if we are having XYZ capability and if it is here or not. if not, this is the risk added. So... sure as hell it flew down to those in south block who were responsible for this upgrade and they raced to close that work that was gathering dust. Its very common in govt systems.

Just look at the road pothole. Why they are fixed just before VIP visit? Its same thing here as well. When it was enquired by higher ups, it was acted upon.

Its been 5 years since feb27,2009. Wht additional capabilities we added?
Mmrca stll not started evaluation
No new awacs added ( i dont consider instruction to develop is an addition as on today).
I don't what they are doing with aerial refueling tender,I think even IAF don't have idea on it.
Another joke is caping the number of Chinook to mere 15.
ISTAR tender was on file for ages.
Lastly, IAF dint have anything on stealth aircraft induction.

Due to Ukraine war the first thing learned is large stock of defense equipment ( although same goes for tri services) which can be built at home.

Then comes what you want and if it is feasible to build it indigenously.

MMRCA - I am of an opinion that India will not induct new foreign made fighter aircrafts in huge number and will prioritize Rafale production , LCA Mk2 and AMCA project

AWACS - Russia is trying to deploy drones to replace it's A-50 AWACS, this also means that in future conflict drones could replace AWACS with team on ground. The use of satellite supported AWACS with AI mode of detection equipment is the new generation of AWACS, even recently tested by China. So wait for Netra Mk2.0 to unveil itself. For a new AWACS you need dedicated satellite, AI algorythm, new compact equipment and Drone or new platforms, this will take time.

AMCA : everything depends on how far India has achieved the turbine technology to build a dedicated stealth engine.

IMRH : I dont think more Chinooks will come, when the prioritization is on IMRH. You can have 100 pages long discussion but again everything depends on engine.

BNET is an Israeli one,right?
Jamming and COMINT is entirely different ballgame.

But they also managed to shoot down MKI. Right?
It was jamming. Otherwise what was the reason for procuring these SDRs on an emergency basis?

SDR is not just about voice. But whatever you believe.

BNET with DRDO software is literally jam proof. But whatever floats your boat;)
1711439118313.png

L-band-Tactical-Data-Link.jpg

L-band%20Tactical%20Data-Link.jpg

Last edited:
SDR is not just about voice. But whatever you believe.
It is ALSO about voice. Ultimately, on a digital channel, voice and data not two different things. You sample, encode and compress voice, you get data.

You jam the underlying channel, you loose voice too. You underlying channel is more resistant to jamming, your voice communication will be more robust.

BTW, all digital channels are ultimately analog because RF is ultimately analog. In jamming, you will not be able to recover enough data to decode voice or cuing parameters or whatever you are sending over the channel.

Anti Jamming: DSSS (Direct Sequence Spread Spectrum) for uplink and "Plain" for downlink.

Not very jam resistant. Without frequency hopping, downlink can be jammed.
Its not a SDR, its a LRU for datalink.
You need different LRU for UHF band datalink (SATCOM) and L-band datalink. Frequency hopping in a band is done by SDR, not datalink (albeit you are designing a single LRU).

DSC00214.JPG

Last edited: