Trainer Aircraft of IAF - PC-7, HTT-40, HJT-36, BAE Hawk

Not sure as to why. But as far as I can tell, reviving the IJT is an internally funded project by HAL much like reviving the HTT 40. So why not ? HAL gets some experience, which is always helpful and we get another domestic product to cheer for. Maybe in time the IAF/IN will need it and HAL, for the firsts time ever, will have a product ready to fly on time.
Well

1) The HTT40 is an actual requirement with 100+ to be ordered by the IAF, Former Defence Minister Manohar Parrikar saw to this been selected and also made the reduction in the orders for PC7s

2) The IJT36 was way behind schedule so much that the IAF changed its Training regiment that null the requirement for the IJT - Here again Former Defence Minister Manohar Parrikar also cancelled this project

So why revive a dead project? - the funds can go else where no?

Former Defence Minister Manohar Parrikar saw to this been selected and also made the reduction in the orders for PC7s
Did he now. I didn't know of this. I thought IAF was still going for additional PC-7 at the cost of HTT-40. My respect for late DM Parrikar has increased manifold.
The IJT36 was way behind schedule so much that the IAF changed its Training regiment that null the requirement for the IJT - Here again Former Defence Minister Manohar Parrikar also cancelled this project
We are currently using BAE Hawk as advanced trainer, right ? The Hawk is licence produced by the HAL, they also came up with Hawk-i. Clearly they don't want the Hawk to be removed/replaced. I don't understand HAL's game plan here. The airforce in the coming years seem to be intent on arming the Hawk for CAS roles. Heck there was a test fire of Smart Anti-Airfield Weapon(SAAW) from the Hawk-i that was supposed to happen this month.
So maybe, HAL plans on getting the IAF to use IJT for advanced training and upgrading Hawk to Hawk-i which is to be used for CAS. This is just me imagining things.

Did he now. I didn't know of this. I thought IAF was still going for additional PC-7 at the cost of HTT-40. My respect for late DM Parrikar has increased manifold.

We are currently using BAE Hawk as advanced trainer, right ? The Hawk is licence produced by the HAL, they also came up with Hawk-i. Clearly they don't want the Hawk to be removed/replaced. I don't understand HAL's game plan here. The airforce in the coming years seem to be intent on arming the Hawk for CAS roles. Heck there was a test fire of Smart Anti-Airfield Weapon(SAAW) from the Hawk-i that was supposed to happen this month.
So maybe, HAL plans on getting the IAF to use IJT for advanced training and upgrading Hawk to Hawk-i which is to be used for CAS. This is just me imagining things.

I think it's Probably for war time preparation ..

Hawks might play CAS role in war..

We don't want be caught unprepared, so all the integration works now even if it didn't succeed in new orders , will play it's part in war .

• Agree
Reactions: Gautam
D4ak988XkAABwHh.jpg

D4ak988WkAEXBeg.jpg

D4ak98-WAAAkv7c.jpg

D4azwY2X4AEPjeB.jpg

IAF issued RFI for IJT in 2014. Only one responded, FMA IA-63 Pampa produced by Argentinan company. So, people claiming lack of requirement for this because IAF ditched three staged training is wrong. They are actively looking for IJT class aircraft. IAF didn't change old training regime, they are using two types of aircraft (BTT,AJT) for three staged training as a stopgap.

Aircraft in the market with comparable specs:

FMA IA-63 Pampa
908D7BF72-750x370.jpg.pagespeed.ce.gxG9aLq0lw.jpg

Aero L-39NG
1685952_-_main.jpg

Aero Vodochody L-39NG completes first flight : Dec 24, 2018

The program started while we were under sanctions. The only Western engine available was from France and it was underpowered. So the only other choice was AL-55.
Now what? The IAF have turned their noseon this. HAL is struggling. MoD waffling. What's the future of this project?

IAF issued RFI for IJT in 2014. Only one responded, FMA IA-63 Pampa produced by Argentinan company. So, people claiming lack of requirement for this because IAF ditched three staged training is wrong. They are actively looking for IJT class aircraft. IAF didn't change old training regime, they are using two types of aircraft (BTT,AJT) for three staged training as a stopgap.

Aircraft in the market with comparable specs:

FMA IA-63 Pampa
908D7BF72-750x370.jpg.pagespeed.ce.gxG9aLq0lw.jpg

Aero L-39NG
1685952_-_main.jpg

Aero Vodochody L-39NG completes first flight : Dec 24, 2018

While the sanctioned number of Basic Trainers is around 200, then around 100 IJTs and around 150 AJTs, we are currently making do with just 75 BTTs, few Kirans, and maybe around 100? Hawks?

That is a huge gap.

While the gap for BTTs will likely be filled with HTT40 soon, the gap for IJTs do remain for now.