ADA AMCA - Advanced Medium Combat Aircraft

teju01.png

Reactions: Rajput Lion
its not IAF, rather the ground stuff at company level. This was actually pointed out by the IAF person in the seminar today. As per them introduction of new tech is also very much dependent on the ability of the maintenance crew ability, right now there is shortfall.

That's default for everybody though. I thought you were referring to the Americans claiming we can't absorb tech, Billie Flynn recently did.

I urge all my forum friends to have patience and faith in our scientists and gov. AMCA will take time but eventually we'll have our own desi stealth jet. And AMCA is coming with cutting-edge technologies that will remain relevant well post 2060s.

Only thing is we need a stealth jet between 2025 and 2035. And Su-57M is tailor made for us. F-35 is not for air dominance and would find it hard to fight a supercruising J-20. Su-57 on the other is multi-role from its inception. So while not as stealthy or effective as F-35 in strike roles, it will hold its own there as well while swatting J-20s out of sky.

Have patience, IAF is on right track. This all desi transformation is a very painful one, but now that our government has initiated there ain't no going back towards full-on importing.

Just import the silver bullets, make other things in India by Indians. AMCA is happening, few years delay or not, period.
Had patience on LCA since 2000,yet not seen the light.
Had patience on Arjun,Nag list on
That's default for everybody though. I thought you were referring to the Americans claiming we can't absorb tech, Billie Flynn recently did.
He right I guess.

• Haha
Reactions: RASALGHUL
I think its an issue for our case, IAF is very strict but number of very good tech personnel is at premium for most asian airforce. Maybe that is what he hinted at, not exactly on technical aspect, rather in user perspective. Watch that seminar link the part where he gave a speech, added the timestamp.

I urge all my forum friends to have patience and faith in our scientists and gov. AMCA will take time but eventually we'll have our own desi stealth jet. And AMCA is coming with cutting-edge technologies that will remain relevant well post 2060s.

Only thing is we need a stealth jet between 2025 and 2035. And Su-57M is tailor made for us. F-35 is not for air dominance and would find it hard to fight a supercruising J-20. Su-57 on the other is multi-role from its inception. So while not as stealthy or effective as F-35 in strike roles, it will hold its own there as well while swatting J-20s out of sky.

Have patience, IAF is on right track. This all desi transformation is a very painful one, but now that our government has initiated there ain't no going back towards full-on importing.

Just import the silver bullets, make other things in India by Indians. AMCA is happening, few years delay or not, period.
You are getting it wrong. The real culprits are not the scientists (at least the young ones) or government. It's the higher management which has no intention or drive to deliver the projects on time with expected quality. The success or failure of any project depends on how the execution is pushed by upper management. Till upper management is accountable, we will keep seeing the delays and lack of quality for ever. Hopefully someday government will take a big danda and start fixing from the top.

We won't get su57M though, they showed su57E at the expo. Which apparently looks a little bit different esp the intakes, most likely a degraded radar as well, don't know if they will offer the photonic radar or not.

We won't get su57M though, they showed su57E at the expo. Which apparently looks a little bit different esp the intakes, most likely a degraded radar as well, don't know if they will offer the photonic radar or not.
Su-57E is a no go. IAF has already rejected it due to AL-41 engines. It's either Su-57M(at a later stage) with Type-30 engines or no stealth fighter until AMCA becomes operational in the next decade.

BTW, any pics of Su-57E displayed, so far seen none.

Reactions: Abheer and marich01
You are getting it wrong. The real culprits are not the scientists (at least the young ones) or government. It's the higher management which has no intention or drive to deliver the projects on time with expected quality. The success or failure of any project depends on how the execution is pushed by upper management. Till upper management is accountable, we will keep seeing the delays and lack of quality for ever. Hopefully someday government will take a big danda and start fixing from the top.
Modi is trying to clear the rot which has set deep. It'll take time but surely happen. Till then, we should try to be positive. Slowly but surely, Modi is turning India into a military self-reliant super power. But your point taken too mate:)
Pure arrogance by the Americans to say openly that India can't absorb stealth tech. We should never buy any American fighter IMO.

Just develop our own engine and end the dependence.

Reactions: Abheer
I think its an issue for our case, IAF is very strict but number of very good tech personnel is at premium for most asian airforce. Maybe that is what he hinted at, not exactly on technical aspect, rather in user perspective. Watch that seminar link the part where he gave a speech, added the timestamp.

Okay, he's referring to the DRDO and the industry, not the IAF itself.

It's the opposite of what you claimed. Aircraft like the Rafale and F-35 have been designed so monkeys can operate it. Otoh, DRDO products are such that you need a PhD to operate it, so he's basically telling scientists to ensure products they design can be used by people with average intelligence.

Okay, he's referring to the DRDO and the industry, not the IAF itself.

It's the opposite of what you claimed. Aircraft like the Rafale and F-35 have been designed so monkeys can operate it. Otoh, DRDO products are such that you need a PhD to operate it, so he's basically telling scientists to ensure products they design can be used by people with average intelligence.
I thought it was more to lack of enough cohesion between drdo labs, industry & IAF. See, IAF will be handling these day to day viz their ground stuff. Industry/OEM like HAL provide MRO, AMC part when something beyond ground maintenance happen which IAF give contract for. DRDO do the tech part, turning that tech into user friendly product can only happen via intense participation of the user at every stage. IAF will always have this complain of not having user friendly product like foreign stuff because they do not intend to help domestic product become a viable alternative.
Now something, the tech, user interface that is developed & designed indigenously is going to be different to the stuff IAF buy off elsewhere. So send your ground stuff more to desi OEM, HAL, better create a joint team where possible so both set of technical team can learn together & therefore the entire product line will improve. Just handing over we want this list of enhancements/changes & communicating via ex service person not gonna make things improve suddenly.

Now obviously being at user end & part of IAF he would put the ball into DRDO & industry court like here, but maybe doing things how the navy does where they take a leading role in entire product cycle, maintenance included, is needed. For the subs, navy got huge infra built & want to handle all kinds of jobs themselves. Would IAF want to do that for Amca? I doubt it.

I thought it was more to lack of enough cohesion between drdo labs, industry & IAF. See, IAF will be handling these day to day viz their ground stuff. Industry/OEM like HAL provide MRO, AMC part when something beyond ground maintenance happen which IAF give contract for. DRDO do the tech part, turning that tech into user friendly product can only happen via intense participation of the user at every stage. IAF will always have this complain of not having user friendly product like foreign stuff because they do not intend to help domestic product become a viable alternative.
Now something, the tech, user interface that is developed & designed indigenously is going to be different to the stuff IAF buy off elsewhere. So send your ground stuff more to desi OEM, HAL, better create a joint team where possible so both set of technical team can learn together & therefore the entire product line will improve. Just handing over we want this list of enhancements/changes & communicating via ex service person not gonna make things improve suddenly.

Now obviously being at user end & part of IAF he would put the ball into DRDO & industry court like here, but maybe doing things how the navy does where they take a leading role in entire product cycle, maintenance included, is needed. For the subs, navy got huge infra built & want to handle all kinds of jobs themselves. Would IAF want to do that for Amca? I doubt it.

MMI is something scientists have to figure out, there's not as much the user can do beyond a point.

Here's an example:

Can't really expect the user to think up such things.

Meaning, the user will say this needs to be simpler, that needs to be simpler. But how to make it simpler is something scientists have to figure out.

This "user-input" thing is overblown. If the scientists plan for every eventuality, something gained with experience, then user input required will be minimal.

The real point of user input is to force the user to accept deficiencies during the R&D process.

Reactions: marich01

AMCA finishes systems-level critical design review​

The critical design review (CDR) of all systems for India's Advanced Medium Combat Aircraft (AMCA) has been completed, a senior project official said.

Speaking to Janes at the Aero India 2023 show being held in Bangalore from 13 to 17 February, the project official said that the aircraft's 16 primary systems have completed the CDR. “This will allow us to complete the platform-level critical design review of the AMCA in one to two months,” the project official with India's Aeronautical Development Agency (ADA) said.

Sixteen aircraft systems were assessed in the systems-level CDR, said the official, who spoke on the condition of anonymity. These include hydraulics, cockpit avionics, Integrated Vehicle Health Management (IVHM), electricals, the weapons systems, and the internal weapons bay.

When Janes last spoke to ADA in November 2022 about the project, some of the systems were still in the process of development. The agency had told Janes at the time that it was working to refine the functionality of the internal weapons bay. The official added that these technological bottlenecks have since been resolved.

ADA, which is under the Department of Defence Research and Development Organisation (DRDO), displayed a working demonstration model of the internal weapons bay during the Aero India 2023 show. This model showed the completion of the sequence of opening of the bay, missile drop, and closing of the bay over a time span of four seconds.

However, the ADA official said that the operational bay designed by ADA will be able to open, launch the weapon, and close within a fraction of a second.

AMCA finishes systems-level critical design review​

This year, Aero India 2023 bombarded us with best of the best news. First the success of Kaveri Dry Derivative and then the CDR completion of AMCA on systems level. Kudos to scientists.👏🏻

This year, Aero India 2023 bombarded us with best of the best news. First the success of Kaveri Dry Derivative and then the CDR completion of AMCA on systems level. Kudos to scientists.👏🏻
Optimism is like light, it always vanquishes pessimism/darkness.

This Aero India has proven to be awesome news for desi aviation lovers(y). Rejoice.

Optimism is like light, it always vanquishes pessimism/darkness.

This Aero India has proven to be awesome news for desi aviation lovers(y). Rejoice.

I don't really see anything concrete out of this aero India which we didn't knew in Jan, a month back.

Regarding amca too I think since Nov and Dec we are discussing that ADA has done the CDR stuff and files reportedly with IAF now for signature.

News to me is HLFT42. But nothing concrete on the way forward.

Only thing which I find intersting is Archer NG. I await its 1st flight.

AMCA Fifth Generation Stealth Fighter Jet Design & Development Updates | DG — ADA Interview​

(its in hindi though)

According to Mr Krishna Rajendra Director - AMCA project , it'd take 3.5 yrs to roll-out the FA once funds are sanctioned & 1.5 yrs after the roll-out for first flight which effectively means production within 10 yrs ( his words not mine ) for AMCA Mk-1 . Say , I didn't know Mk-1 was supposed to come with internal bays . Or was he giving a low down on the technical features of Mk-2 while refering to the model but the production T/L of Mk-1 .

Before I forget the cherry on the cake . Internal fuel capacity is 6500 tons which translates to 1000 kms radius ( again his words not mine ) purely on internal fuel . Wikipedia lists combat radius at ~1700 kms .