LCA Tejas Mk1 & Mk1A - News and discussions

Obviously HAL has been asked to prepare for contingencies mostly by the MoD. Why would HAL take the initiative ? I'm more interested in how exactly is this going to fit in . Would it be a drop fit or would it require extensive modifications ? How long would the testing take ?
Hawk I was never asked for.

Anyways F404 under Indian conditions is not powerful enough as we would have wanted. The RD33 series 3 would make it even worse.

Not worth doing it with RD33.

I don't think this is for India or for said reason. The program is far ahead for the IAF for any of this to work. Also, any tinkering with the Tejas program will have serious repercussions in the Indo-US trust matrix. The US can say good bye for the next 50 years to the Indian defence market.

More likely, this is being done to test whether this is feasible for future exports. I mean really into the distant future. If any country is a no go for American engines, then there is an alternative. Though, I would assume it makes more sense to fix the Kaveri with M88 core and offer. Of course this is an uneducated guess. No other reason.

For the IAF, this will be dead in the water.
Our Mig29UPG flies on these newer series 3. We should know better than using it on a single engine fighter.

Not worth the money. Further HAL only has the licence to build a limited number of Series 3. They are the property of IAF. HAL cannot use those on its own whims.

Hawk I was never asked for.

Anyways F404 under Indian conditions is not powerful enough as we would have wanted. The RD33 series 3 would make it even worse.

Not worth doing it with RD33.
Hawk I ? What Hawk I ? Wasn't the tweet you quoted about Mk1 being equipped with a RD-33 ?

Hawk I ? What Hawk I ? Wasn't the tweet you quoted about Mk1 being equipped with a RD-33 ?
I just meant HAL now a days are doing out things which is not actually asked for. Doing it just for hope.

We have extremely meager resources. Better not to waste.
The Russians have developed a 94KN version.
We have used the original RD33, the RD33 series 3 and the rd33mk too. We should be wise enough to not use them for a single engine fighter.

Rd33mk also promised a lot. We know where that led us..

It's highly impossible .
No news / leak
A single photo with covers.
Considering delays for own use,
No way we will do additional work for exports so soon.

We have used the original RD33, the RD33 series 3 and the rd33mk too. We should be wise enough to not use them for a single engine fighter.

Rd33mk also promised a lot. We know where that led us..

LCA for the IAF will fail without American engines. It's too late for us. But the RD-33 is a possible option for exports to countries like Iran, Egypt, Myanmar, Argentina etc.

LCA for the IAF will fail without American engines. It's too late for us. But the RD-33 is a possible option for exports to countries like Iran, Egypt, Myanmar, Argentina etc.
The FADEC on these are still highly unreliable. Not worth it. We need to look at other options if available.

So, is it not a good decision to go for F414 Vs Euro-engine. I read that Euro-engine needed much less structural changes than F414.

(I think) we forumers are worrying too much. India would not have gone for F414 without guarantees of no sanctions.

So, is it not a good decision to go for F414 Vs Euro-engine. I read that Euro-engine needed much less structural changes than F414.

It's definitely an option. But the only European engine was way more expensive. While the procurement price was already high, the LCC was insanely higher. The French option to upgrade the Kaveri required a lot of development money. I suppose that since we are aiming for a foreign engine for AMCA already, it made no sense to collaborate on Kaveri anymore.

The structural changes story is a myth. The Kaveri is a bigger and heavier engine than both American engines. Naturally some changes were required, but not to the point where it could be a show-stopper.

(I think) we forumers are worrying too much. India would not have gone for F414 without guarantees of no sanctions.

Yeah, it's not an issue. The news came from a Russian shill. The Russians are all for applying CAATSA on India.

Reactions: Aditya b7777
The only real export options for the tejas seem to be Argentina,Vietnam, Phillipines and Romania. Rest it's a pretty low chance. Malaysian tender is a low possibility most likely the FA-50 blk 20 will win much more mature than tejas even though inferior in every aspect.

The only real export options for the tejas seem to be Argentina,Vietnam, Phillipines and Romania. Rest it's a pretty low chance. Malaysian tender is a low possibility most likely the FA-50 blk 20 will win much more mature than tejas even though inferior in every aspect.

I don't think India will be allowed entry into Europe. The US will try and stop it.

There are other countries in the Middle East, South America and Africa that are options too. But most of them, including Vietnam and Philippines, are better served by the LCA Mk2.

I have hopes for the Malaysian tender. The Malaysians will really have to go out of their way to not choose it, that is why.

I hope to see a competition between Mk1A and JF-17 B3 in Argentina. They ran away from Malaysia.

• Love
Reactions: JustCurious