Yeas, what stopped us from developing a higher shaft power Turboshaft engine based on the experience we gained?
Also RR-GTRE proposed engine is 110kn asper many reports, in future if IAF wanst a heavy class stealth fighter like f22 then we need minimum 150+ kn engine . My query is that will india be able to develop such engine without external help ? We have an example of Shakthi engine that the experience gained from Shakthi project didn't work out with us developing to a higher rated engine for imrh.

HAL is working on turboshaft engines. But this kinda project is long term and takes a decade or more. So you will obviously not see it right now.

Reactions: Hydra
If my knowledge is correct, So far two engines has developed in india with french help
1) Shakthi engine,which is based on TM333
2)Vikas engine of ISRO, which is derived from french Viking engine.

As on today, In both cases we didn't come up with an uprated engine either based on existing engine or developed new high power engine based on the experience we gained from French.
So why to spend more money on French collaboration when we cannot move forward from french technology collaboration?
Either you are not providing adequate technology or we may be dumb like a boiled potatoes or we are lazy to work extra on French technology. So i fear by investing extra money on French jet engine we will end up as a licenced producer of an another version of m88.
But even for the TM333 and Viking, you didn't buy the fact that you knew why you had to do it that way, because it was too expensive.

India should plan for an alternative jet engine . Since American regulations are totally unpredictable

While F404 for the Mk1/A is fine, the Mk2 should have had an alternate option, something like the EJ200 as a drop-in option in case the F414 is sanctioned for whatever cooked-up reason the Americans will find.

While F404 for the Mk1/A is fine, the Mk2 should have had an alternate option, something like the EJ200 as a drop-in option in case the F414 is sanctioned for whatever cooked-up reason the Americans will find.
I like the idea of Safran hot core with Kaveri. British companies will do the same what Americans will say

I like the idea of Safran hot core with Kaveri. British companies will do the same what Americans will say

That's a long term goal though. It's not like it's immediately available.

And no, the Brits won't follow the Americans in such hare-brained schemes such as sanctioning India. They need the money anyway. Or we wouldn't be picking them for AMCA's engine.

Reactions: Hydra
That's a long term goal though. It's not like it's immediately available.

And no, the Brits won't follow the Americans in such hare-brained schemes such as sanctioning India. They need the money anyway. Or we wouldn't be picking them for AMCA's engine.
I think DRDO will add a sufficient clause that will protect us from any change in plan

I think DRDO will add a sufficient clause that will protect us from any change in plan

The same thing can be applied to anything else as well, including the EJ200. Only the Americans have the habit of backtracking from signed contracts. Turkey and its F-35s are one such example.

• Agree
Reactions: TARGET
The same thing can be applied to anything else as well, including the EJ200. Only the Americans have the habit of backtracking from signed contracts. Turkey and its F-35s are one such example.
M88-4 might be an option but it was essentially a study AFAIK. @Picdelamirand-oil?

Lets face it... there are only two real options which can stand American sanctions. Russia and France.

Japan has an engine program but its not gonna help us if USA says no.
UK and friends .... nope.

France, that looks promising.

• Agree
Reactions: TARGET
M88-4 might be an option but it was essentially a study AFAIK. @Picdelamirand-oil?

Lets face it... there are only two real options which can stand American sanctions. Russia and France.

Why not UK?

American influence is way too strong on UK. UK also has a domestic political thing with Pakistan. There is a sizeable Pakistani population there.
Britishers usually sticks with commitment, the Soviet managed to build jet engine only because of British RR.
French, British, usa, Germany all sold military gears to pak in past and they will do it again in future. Even Russia is selling weapons to pak & China.
So based some one else's relationship with Pakistan we should not stop military collaboration. I think, RR offer is more lucrative than french offer. Remember, not a single french joint venture so made us to develope the capability to design military technology by our own.

France and UK are our best options. And UK is the best out of the two because they are desperate for financing, while France is not. But a Rafale deal is a pretty good carrot. Neither will sanction us. Both have shown willingness to transfer 100% ToT and IPR.

US and Russia won't give anything. Just that Russia will give a lot more than the US will, but not what's actually important.

Japan's laws need to be changed for military exports. The US does not influence them. Rather the Japanese like to trip on themselves.

Reactions: Killbot
Britishers usually sticks with commitment, the Soviet managed to build jet engine only because of British RR.
French, British, usa, Germany all sold military gears to pak in past and they will do it again in future. Even Russia is selling weapons to pak & China.
So based some one else's relationship with Pakistan we should not stop military collaboration. I think, RR offer is more lucrative than french offer. Remember, not a single french joint venture so made us to develope the capability to design military technology by our own.
Brits follow USA in foreign policy , even french reneged on deal with russia for the heli carrier. There is no such thing as safe other than developing on our own.

• Agree
Reactions: Saaho and Hydra
French, British, usa, Germany all sold military gears to pak in past and they will do it again in future.
Everyone sells weapons to anyone who has money to pay. Its a question of reliability.
Will British release critical parts during a war with Pakistan? I have a massive doubt on it.

Japan's laws need to be changed for military exports. The US does not influence them. Rather the Japanese like to trip on themselves.
Japan's own security is dependent upon USA. I doubt they will cross Americans.
Japan can and has exported military artifcats. There was that deal with Australia on Soryu that fell through. India was also going to buy US-2i from Japan.

And UK is the best out of the two because they are desperate for financing, while France is not. But a Rafale deal is a pretty good carrot. Neither will sanction us. Both have shown willingness to transfer 100% ToT and IPR.
We need reliable supplier first who can supply us with critical engine for all these aircrafts we are dreaming to build.

As far as ToT goes, the experience of India with ToT has not been really good when recipient is a public company like HAL.

When we are dealing with France, we are dealing with France. When we are dealing with UK, Japan or even Korea, we are dealing with USA lurking in the background.

Everyone sells weapons to anyone who has money to pay. Its a question of reliability.
Will British release critical parts during a war with Pakistan? I have a massive doubt on it.

Japan's own security is dependent upon USA. I doubt they will cross Americans.
Japan can and has exported military artifcats. There was that deal with Australia on Soryu that fell through. India was also going to buy US-2i from Japan.
We are collaborating with British on engine tech, and if you are waiting for spares for engine during war then you have serious problems with war planning.
And french also not reliable, they stopped providing military equipment delivery to Pakistan due to mmrca1 process, since mmrca1 contract was more lucrative due to price & their chance will diminish if they supplies anything to Pakistan. The day Pakistan have more money than India, french will start ditching India.

So, while developing engine tech with foreign aid you need to see who is giving better business deal and who is allowing you to develop in-house capability.
Britishers business offer is better than french one asper media reports. And i said earlier, we still stuck with Viking & TM engines and yet to develope advanced engines based on the experience gained by co developing Vikas( Viking based & Shakthi engine ( TM engine ) with French, where in other hand the INS Delhi has borrowed some characteristics from British Leander class ( Don't know what was the extent of technical help from British while designing INS Delhi or any help we received). Remember, we further developed kolkata class & Vishakhapatnam class from INS Delhi.

US and Russia won't give anything. Just that Russia will give a lot more than the US will, but not what's actually important.
Issue is more of if they will reliably give what we need when we need. US and its ally have this bad habit of being unreliable.

We are collaborating with British on engine tech, and if you are waiting for spares for engine during war then you have serious problems with war planning.
We all know how good our planning is, don't we? We have to choose reliable suppliers unfortunately. Our bureaucracy is terrible at planning anything.

And french also not reliable, they stopped providing military equipment delivery to Pakistan due to mmrca1 process, since mmrca1 contract was more lucrative due to price & their chance will diminish if they supplies anything to Pakistan. The day Pakistan have more money than India, french will start ditching India.
Fortunately, vis-a-vis our enemies, its only Pakistan that we have to worry about.
The day Pakistan has more money than India (and not the per capita bullshit), that day you can kiss India goodbye. Unlike us, they can really wage war.
The only thing stopping them is because they don't have money.

So, while developing engine tech with foreign aid you need to see who is giving better business deal and who is allowing you to develop in-house capability.
I doubt any Indian engine is one horizon for atleast 10 year if not more. AMCA also delinks engine for this very reason. Engine tech is hard to master. Ask Chinese, they are still struggling with it.
I doubt India is going to develop an in-house engine even with foreign aid in short time.

We have to rely on suppliers for atleast 10-20 years. So we need reliable suppliers.