That isnt the point... we dont need a 5.56mm carbine... Well whatever..

Corporatisation is a step in the right direction

What is the barrel length being offered anyway?
I know but if we don't get the 5.56 carbines we will be still using 9mm sterlings as "carbines". So no as much as you wish that we don't need 5.56 carbines, the IA believes it need 5.56 carbines for its operations.

I know but if we don't get the 5.56 carbines we will be still using 9mm sterlings as "carbines". So no as much as you wish that we don't need 5.56 carbines, the IA believes it need 5.56 carbines for its operations.
Carbines are most effective in CQBs and IA's CQB ops are almost entirely in the valley. CI and CT ops are primarily undertaken by RR, JKP-SOG and certain paramilitary units who form the outer perimeter for crowd control. Para SF also get involved but they have their own weapons. Apart from the initial requirement of 93k Carbines, the total requirement is for 350k which I don't see the need for since limited troops are involved in Kashmir's CQB ops and those 93k should suffice, maybe an additional 50k might be needed

IA selected the 7.5" barrel per this article
I saw that article... 7.5” barrel has to be wrong as bullet won’t even stabilise.. with such a short barrel...
For a comparison, H&K MP5A5 has an 8.9” barrel. Murica SOF have started using 12.5” barrel Mk 18s for CQB...
So I thought IA might go that way.

I saw that article... 7.5” barrel has to be wrong as bullet won’t even stabilise.. with such a short barrel...
For a comparison, H&K MP5A5 has an 8.9” barrel. Murica SOF have started using 12.5” barrel Mk 18s for CQB...
Don't know but they are offering 7.5inch variants but then it becomes a pdw instead of a carbine.

Screenshot_20200922-135907.jpg

The site for all the variants

Last edited:
Just on a side note, taking a 5.56x45" Nato platform and cutting it down to 7.5" is a bit akin to taking an Amitabh Bachhan and cutting him down to Amir Khan Size.

• Agree
Reactions: Killbot
I agree but there's another article which I came across a while ago which didn't mention the particular length but did say IA went for the shorter barrel with an effective range of 300m from which I believe it is the 10.5 that IA opted". The whole intent of procuring the carbine is to have a smaller/lighter weapon and there's no way IA would go for a longer barrel like the 12.5" or 14.5"

• Agree
Look like it. The velcro on the shoulder is new, never seen that before.
Yeah. But there aren't as many ammo pouches as the FLC type vest they usually wear..
images (1).jpeg

But they do seem to offer protection to the sides as well... And I think the plates that come with the vest can be used in the FLC vests as well.

Also do you know who supplies the FLC vests to IA?

Yeah. But there aren't as many ammo pouches as the FLC type vest they usually wear..
images (1).jpeg

But they do seem to offer protection to the sides as well... And I think the plates that come with the vest can be used in the FLC vests as well.
I feel the Army is doing a lot of permutations and combinations to see which type of vest works best for them. No bad thing as long as they are planning to standardise at some stage
Also do you know who supplies the FLC vests to IA?
Nope.

• Haha
I feel the Army is doing a lot of permutations and combinations to see which type of vest works best for them. No bad thing as long as they are planning to standardise at some stage

Nope.
In other words, they're testing which jugaad is best for them... If they has sense they would go for a MOLLE tactical vest.
Standardisation 🤣🤣

• Agree
Reactions: Gautam