Twin-Engine Deck Based Fighter (TEDBF)

Do we need high wing loading design for deck fighters ?
This shit about wingloading is the most misunderstood aspects of an aircraft design. The correct word should be coefficient of lift and aspect ratio which allows you to achieve a higher lift at lower alpha and better L/D ratio. A deck based fighter must be able to generate much higher lift at a lower alpha to reduce drag and get best L/D ratio to allow it to quickly accelerate away. It is of extreme requirement for a STOBAR carrier.

Reactions: HariPrasad
A single rafale costed us almost 220 million USD each.
That is the opposite of cost effectiveness.

We are better off equipping indian armed froces with local equipment.
Your Indian equipment will cost you more.
You will have to equip your base as it was done for Rafale ==> 1.7 Billion for two Bases
You will have to buy weapons
You will have to pay development and it will cost more than 1.8 billion that you have paid for Rafale adaptation to your needs
Finally Minister for Law and Justice Ravi Shankar Prasad said that Rafale price was €91.75 million and not $ 220 million.

This shit about wingloading is the most misunderstood aspects of an aircraft design. The correct word should be coefficient of lift and aspect ratio which allows you to achieve a higher lift at lower alpha and better L/D ratio. A deck based fighter must be able to generate much higher lift at a lower alpha to reduce drag and get best L/D ratio to allow it to quickly accelerate away. It is of extreme requirement for a STOBAR carrier.
defence decode did mention the aspect ratio part in his recent video on tedbf. I said that becoz I have been hearing about how low wing loading close to sea level generates more lift & less drag as opposed to HWL fighters. I think HAL should rope in a foreign consultant & Navy must be involved the the project from get go.

defence decode did mention the aspect ratio part in his recent video on tedbf. I said that becoz I have been hearing about how low wing loading close to sea level generates more lift & less drag as opposed to HWL fighters. I think HAL should rope in a foreign consultant & Navy must be involved the the project from get go.
But close coupled canard increase lift better than low wing loading.

But close coupled canard increase lift better than low wing loading.
The wingloading as a function of sweepback angle reduces. Higher the sweepback angle, lower the wingloading needed for a design MTOW. so you need higher wing area and that reduces your aspect ratio. Use of CCC or LERX or BLC, allows for reaching a more optimum sweepback angle and wing design. CCC of Rafale are good but they still can't beat the LERX-Wing-Tail design. Even a three surface control configured design like Su-30MKI, cant beat such a design. I have a reason to say so as I have done CFD analysis of these designs.

Reactions: HariPrasad
It can be a good platform for IAF but than we have Rafale.

That's why there's so much confusion about the ORCA design. It's obviously not suitable for the IN.

At first IAF needed 200+ SE MII and 200+ TE MII. Both were supposed to go to the private sector. But with MWF, HAL successfully managed to cancel the Gripen/F-16 tender in favour of their own MWF offer. Now it looks like ADA+HAL are trying to take away TE MII also.

I wish they release a picture of the landing carriage. This will tell us who this jet is aimed for. It could be the IN.

Twin Engine Deck Based Fighter : preliminary concept render

ENglU0AUEAACurl

ENglWInUwAAcT3Y

ENglVrlUwAEzTqS

ENgloI_UcAAQ_4r

ENglpJ-U0AIp29M

ENgloi0UYAE36Rk

Twin Engine Deck Based Fighter : preliminary concept render

ENglU0AUEAACurl

ENglWInUwAAcT3Y

ENglVrlUwAEzTqS

ENgloI_UcAAQ_4r

ENglpJ-U0AIp29M

ENgloi0UYAE36Rk
So other than CFTs and twin engine layout, majority of the design is similar to MWF. This will help in reducing development time. But the intake seems to be similar to the Mk1,Mk1A, MWF, are those air intakes big enough for both the engines?

• Agree
Reactions: TARGET
Is it just me or does thatt thing have a DSI bulge replacing the Tejas' splitter plate inlet ? That's good. I do hope they do some tealth shaping of the thing. The round inlet looks awful.

That is the only thing that needs to be modified... should bring AMCA air intake or something new.

1578226644705.png
1578226708515.png

In this angle isn't the dsi bulge visible clearly? Or is it something else that I'm seeing infront of inlets?
Yes, DSI is clearly present on this replacing the splitter plate. If you notice the rear end, you can see a gap between the engine nozzle and the fuselage. It is possible that the aircraft uses bleed air to obscure the IR signature of the engine exhaust. I do hope the intake's circular design is preliminary and not final. As it is, it looks like a enlarged Tejas intake.
In this angle isn't the dsi bulge visible clearly? Or is it something else that I'm seeing infront of inlets?
Yes, DSI is clearly present on this replacing the splitter plate. If you notice the rear end, you can see a gap between the engine nozzle and the fuselage. It is possible that the aircraft uses bleed air to obscure the IR signature of the engine exhaust. I do hope the intake's circular design is preliminary and not final. As it is, it looks like a enlarged Tejas intake.

• Agree
Reactions: vingensys

The inlet must be preliminary design as a) hv thakur had said this was some coarse design in his tweet and b) i had read from luminaries of many a forum that inlet design is sort of a black art and hence intuitively i find it hard to accept that a simple size enlargement would do the trick

Nilesh (@nileshjrane) Tweeted:
Almost a dream come true for #Tejas fans. Finally, we are learning to leverage our existing capabilities to the maximum. As wished, TEDBF has a IAF version too, under consideration. I just hope funding flows smoothly for all these programs. Vishnu Som on Twitter ( )

Another interesting thread. Almost fan boy stuff. But when ADA's going overboard why blame amateur experts? Btw - you seem unduly subdued @randomradio . Everything alright? I was expecting you to have a field day. Was expecting to see a multitude of threads by you on all the different iterations LCA Mk1 has made possible & arguments galore among all amateur experts with @Sancho too participating if only to contradict you.

Reactions: STEPHEN COHEN