Tata to build military aircraft in India as it acquires IP rights

I think we both know the answer to this. There's no way TATA's offering is going to get traction with the services. Not with Saras & Dornier around.
Something must have been cooking in the Product Management team for tata to consider this, Maybe it might be some deal with CASA where getting the C295 includes offloading a potential turd like Grob 180 on to tata. Or maybe tata sees it can kill Saras with this or maybe tata sees a future market for small business jets in India and developing markets and wants to make a presence in that segment.

On a side note, this might also help TCS/Tata Elxsi to get a foothold in Aircraft HMI and Controls Cots market. Let's see how it pans out.

Something must have been cooking in the Product Management team for tata to consider this, Maybe it might be some deal with CASA where getting the C295 includes offloading a potential turd like Grob 180 on to tata.
In what way is CASA & Grob 180 connected? I ask coz I'm unaware.
PKS once suggested that the civilian variants of Dhruv & Dornier didn't stand a chance with local carriers or even as personal transportation as in case of insurance these aircrafts need to first be certified by either European or US agencies although why HAL can't have them certified is beyond me. But if there indeed is some problem, guess TATA's would face the same or perhaps it's already undergone due certification under it's former German principals. Besides Sara's has yet to make it's debut or be certified as flight worthy.

Or maybe tata sees it can kill Saras with this or maybe tata sees a future market for small business jets in India and developing markets and wants to make a presence in that segment.

Possible but only in the private sector after due certification for insurance. Frankly, I don't see HAL ceding market space to TATA's in the services sector & the less one speaks of TATA's marketing activities as a group the better. OTOH, Ratan Tata is an aviation enthusiast. This could purely be his wish fulfillment.
On a side note, this might also help TCS/Tata Elxsi to get a foothold in Aircraft HMI and Controls Cots market. Let's see how it pans out.
You'd have to elaborate here. Not much up to date with software activities in the aviation sector.

Reactions: Killbot
In what way is CASA & Grob 180 connected? I ask coz I'm unaware.
They are not, but then again whose interests lie where remains big mystery. This is just speculation on my side.

PKS once suggested that the civilian variants of Dhruv & Dornier didn't stand a chance with local carriers or even as personal transportation as in case of insurance these aircrafts need to first be certified by either European or US agencies although why HAL can't have them certified is beyond me. But if there indeed is some problem, guess TATA's would face the same or perhaps it's already undergone due certification under it's former German principals. Besides Sara's has yet to make it's debut or be certified as flight worthy.
HAL suffers on the aftermarket side. It's like buying your luxury car from BEML... Hopefully, things will improve.

Possible but only in the private sector after due certification for insurance. Frankly, I don't see HAL ceding market space to TATA's in the services sector & the less one speaks of TATA's marketing activities as a group the better. OTOH, Ratan Tata is an aviation enthusiast. This could purely be his wish fulfillment.
Tata sons are the biggest business interest in India. They have their fingers in every pot in the kitchen. Let's wait and watch.

You'd have to elaborate here. Not much up to date with software activities in the aviation sector.
Tata Elxsi has it's focus on the Auto industry high-end electronics displays, comms network, and is working on Jag and LR's autonomous driving tech. It is placed quite well to deliver COTS systems for Private jet control systems, HUD's, Display modules. GPS modules etc.

Tata military aircraft to stimulate nascent aerospace and defense ecosystem in India, says GlobalData​

Posted in Aerospace, Defense & Security

Following the recent news that India’s industrial conglomerate Tata has acquired the IP rights for a German aircraft;

Abhijit Apsingikar, Aerospace & Defense Analyst at GlobalData, a leading data and analytics company, offers his view:

“The acquisition of IP rights for a German aircraft (likely to be the Grob G180 SPn) by Tata will pave way for the first domestically manufactured aircraft by a private enterprise, spur the growth of the ancillary ecosystem in the nascent Indian aerospace & defense sector. The private management of the aircraft project will naturally emphasize the cost efficiencies and will result in creating a comprehensive pool of vendors to ensure cost advantage.

“Although, no firm orders have been placed, Tata is likely to market a modified military specification platform for Indian military surveillance aircraft requirements. Moreover, an extended variant of the platform in the future can also become a key contender for the Indian military’s DO-228 replacement program.

“Tata’s aircraft is likely to inherit similar specifications and characteristics and is likely to have a flight ceiling of 41,000-45,000ft , with a range of 1,800 nautical miles while carrying a payload of more than 1,000 kg with an endurance of 6-7 hours. Thus, it will be suitable to address the Indian military’s requirement for a measurement and signature intelligence (MASINT), signals intelligence (SIGINT) and communications intelligence (COMINT) gathering platform.

“With the first aircraft slated to arrive in India within three months for further integration and testing, Tata’s light executive/transport aircraft enjoys the benefit of being in advanced stages of development. In addition, a modified and extended aircraft version will enter the operational testing phase before the NAL Saras Mk-II aircraft (which is still on the drawing board) and will make the Tata aircraft better positioned to compete for the Do-228 replacement program.”

Military of course. First you have to develop a civil aircraft and then convert it for military use.

Dedicated military aircraft are custom built for a purpose and naturally take even more time.
We have two engines Kaveri and HTFE25.
Can't we make civilian aircrafts using derivatives of these engines? The way we are bringing MWF, TEDBF etc, it's easier to make civilian, subsonic bombers, Mini awacs type aircrafts around these engines.

We have two engines Kaveri and HTFE25.
Can't we make civilian aircrafts using derivatives of these engines? The way we are bringing MWF, TEDBF etc, it's easier to make civilian, subsonic bombers, Mini awacs type aircrafts around these engines.

We haven't invested enough resources towards making civilian aircraft since beating established players is extremely hard and the Indian market is too small to make it viable. But it's planned.

In the civilian space, HTFE is meant to be used in business jets, so that's a start. Kaveri is not suitable for civilian use, a new engine has to be made.

The Genser company was first heard of around 3 years back. Back then they displayed a CGI, there was not even a model. This is quite the progress in 3 years time. Also good on HAL to sign some deals with them. I like how they GoI is trying to grow an ecosystem using the PSUs.

In space sector we have ISRO opening up to Indian space start ups. We also had HAL signing deals up with NewSpace, in a year we have some very good looking drones. Looks isn't everything but they clearly are working hard behind the scenes.

We also had HAL signing deals with NAL for Saras Mk-2. TATA is coming up something in the passenger/military recon space. And now this.........

I like where this is headed.

Posting the whole thread & pics for archive:

Et2NwphVkAYErCw.jpg

Et2Nx90VEAEV8TC.jpg

1613045210048.png

1613045356677.png

1613045333513.png

1613045286504.png

1613045242748.png

1613045148713.png

The Genser company was first heard of around 3 years back. Back then they displayed a CGI, there was not even a model. This is quite the progress in 3 years time. Also good on HAL to sign some deals with them. I like how they GoI is trying to grow an ecosystem using the PSUs.

In space sector we have ISRO opening up to Indian space start ups. We also had HAL signing deals up with NewSpace, in a year we have some very good looking drones. Looks isn't everything but they clearly are working hard behind the scenes.

We also had HAL signing deals with NAL for Saras Mk-2. TATA is coming up something in the passenger/military recon space. And now this.........

I like where this is headed.

Posting the whole thread & pics for archive:

View attachment 19260
View attachment 19261
View attachment 19255
View attachment 19259
View attachment 19258
View attachment 19257
View attachment 19256
View attachment 19254
Comparable design would be Hondajet.

Reactions: Gautam