View attachment 20276
IA soldier with Sig Sauer 716I Battle Rifle + Tata Advanced Systems Thermal Weapon Sight - Medium Range (TWS-MR) + MKU Mukut ACH + FLC.
I have to say, our standard infantry has started looking good enough (+good weapon posture + great trigger discipline ;)), somewhat comparable to NATO Tier-2 forces. If only, these could be sent on the various Bilateral Exercises and not the ones with crappy, 30-year old gear........

The stuff we currently use seems clunky in comparison.

Like these old OFB telescopic sights.
india-soldiers-aiming.jpg

sight.jpg

I have a question, can these thermal sights (usable 24/7), supplement the standard 2x, 3x, 4x sights?
@randomradio, @Parthu, @Milspec, @Ashwin, @Gautam, @GuardianRED ?
View attachment 20277

Dunno what you mean. Are you trying to say if telescopic sights can be replaced by TIs?

Not sure. But soldiers will have various sights based on their role. The first 66000+ SIGs the army bought are expected to be equipped with 40000 image intensifiers, 16000 thermal imagers and 12000 telescopic sights. I don't know how these sights will be distributed though. I suppose during the day, the ones with image intensifiers will use holographic and reflex sights and then switch at dusk. I suppose the telescopic sight users will need binocular NVGs whereas everyone else can make do with monocular NVGs. This is all best answered by an infantryman. I am not much into the infantry's TOE.

The stuff we currently use seems clunky in comparison.

Like these old OFB telescopic sights.
You're right about the INSAS + OFB sights combo. They're just not built from the ground up for being modular and versatile.
No, I was referring to the IA's Sig Sauer 716I + FAB upgraded AKs combo + actually good sights from MKU, TATA, Eotech, Trijicon, FALKE, etc. + other weapon attachments. If you look at those, they don't seem clunky or makeshift arrangements. Combine that with the MKU helmets and FLCs, I guess our soldiers look pretty composite, then.
Take a look at these screengabs:
Screenshot 2021-07-14 19.29.32.png

Screenshot 2021-07-14 19.29.33.png

08893362.jpg

E6MMcSQVIAAf97B.jpg

You're right about the INSAS + OFB sights combo. They're just not built from the ground up for being modular and versatile.

Anything not made by OFB is good.

No, I was referring to the IA's Sig Sauer 716I + FAB upgraded AKs combo + actually good sights from MKU, TATA, Eotech, Trijicon, FALKE, etc. + other weapon attachments. If you look at those, they don't seem clunky or makeshift arrangements. Combine that with the MKU helmets and FLCs, I guess our soldiers look pretty composite, then.
Take a look at these screengabs:
View attachment 20283
View attachment 20284
View attachment 20285
View attachment 20286

We're slowly making our way up the totem pole though.

Even the 16000+ Negev LMGs are getting telescopic sights, although the process is yet to start.

• Haha
  • Agree
Reactions: AbRaj and SammyBoi
Instead of starting a new tender for assault rifles, they should just get SIG to pick an Indian partner and then start producing the entire requirement at home. We need nearly 3L rifles.

If we had to ultimately rely on " Jugaad "
We should have done some innovations
On L1 A1-- SLR

That was also a 7.62 X 51 Mm Rifle

At least a Night Vision Scope should have been added

• Agree
Reactions: JustCurious
If we had to ultimately rely on " Jugaad "
We should have done some innovations
On L1 A1-- SLR

That was also a 7.62 X 51 Mm Rifle

At least a Night Vision Scope should have been added

We did, there are photos around from mid 90s as well..

SLR need sniper grade barrel, trigger & other modification to be stable & balenced rifle for precision fire which would cost alot of time & money, better induct new rifles ..

We did, there are photos around from mid 90s as well..

SLR need sniper grade barrel, trigger & other modification to be stable & balenced rifle for precision fire which would cost alot of time & money, better induct new rifles ..
He was probably talking about something suitable for DMR role like this one.
6026ABDA-DA33-4A80-86B7-AF64C9E5534A.jpeg

But that too I suppose would require higher grade barrels and a lot of other mods.
Better to induct a proper bolt action sniper like one OFB showcased recently
DA870989-93A7-449A-82ED-F7676D0DB680.png

And/or DMR version of standard issue rife ie Sig 716G2
7F7973CC-FCBB-4836-AD8E-FF1DB71306FE.jpeg

Last edited:
Instead of starting a new tender for assault rifles, they should just get SIG to pick an Indian partner and then start producing the entire requirement at home. We need nearly 3L rifles.
A JV with sig USA can solve all our small arms requirements.
The sig 716 for our standard issue role.
The sig mcx for our carbine role. .300 blackout for afsod if needed
The sig mpx for our smg role considering germany isn't selling us the mp5 and ofb has failed to properly replicate it.
The sig m320 if ever we need to change the dated 9mm 1a sidearms.
Plus sig already has an entire sight portfolio..

But honestly where will the 6.8 fit in the picture for IA.
Since CI units will stick with the ak and its derivatives.
Army has just inducted the sig 716 and the NGSW are proper battle rifle tier systems..
Well indian procurement time might make it a legit idea who knows..

The whole idea of 6.8 mm is to defeat Body Armour

That is why US is developing both Ammunition and Rifles for 6.8.mm

The whole idea of 6.8 mm is to defeat Body Armour

That is why US is developing both Ammunition and Rifles for 6.8.mm

But won't most of level III body armours be easily penetrated by the 7.62x51. And rarely does anyone use level 4 body armours.
Though I understand the U.S wanting to replace it for their military since they want to avoid the 7.62x39 and want a more standardised infantry.
But for the IA it seems like quite an unnecessary upgrade for the foreseeable future.
Although I do have lot.of.expectations from the 7.62x51 replacement that they are working on..