Advanced Assault Rifle
AA%2BINSAS%2B1C.jpg

OFB-built%2B%2526%2BARDE-developed%2BSLRs%2B%2526%2BCarbines.jpg

credits to respective owners

@Hellfire Why does OFB insist on mounting a pic rail on a ricketty dust cover for 5.56 rifle which is supposed to shoot 600 yards. how the hell will the optics retain zero. Didn't izveshk do the side rail system on receivers back in the 70's for AK's?

Pic of probable contenders (not official yet) thanks to INDRA Networks (and @Soumya for bringing it to our attention )

25587194_1070300816444935_8410130316600533358_o.jpg

I personally would love to see Tavor 7AR fulfill this requirement. The 2nd best IMO would be a tie between the Colt Modular Carbine and the SCAR-H (would be interesting how this goes if Pak Army too ends up buying the SCAR-H as their G3 replacement). The SG716 is actually an American-made SIG, I'd like to see if it (or any of these guns for that matter) lives up to IA's requirements. I don't think SIG will even field the 751 - rather leave this competition for their US division. Fingers crossed how any deal with Italy would go...also wonder how much of a cost advantage (if any) the Galil is likely to have against the rest of them.

...what you guys think? @Abingdonboy @Hellfire @Milspec

You mixed the threads? ;)

Small Arms & Tactical Equipment were categorized into the same thread in this new forum from the start. It was only back in Older Forum that they were separate.

Reactions: Hellfire
We might be looking at Galil and Excalibur.

But first, Army has to sort out the mess that it landed itself into - by calling officers of services as 'non-combatants' in official affidavits to Supreme Court. That has made things 'interesting' as the officers from services are now challenging postings into Kashmir and other hard areas or in CI posture :D

This is what happens when nepotism rules roost and paper warriors reach high ranks :(

Would like to hear your views regarding Excalibur v/s INSAS Mk.1C

AA%2BINSAS%2B1C.jpg

CHxJvNt.jpg

Pic credit: Kunal Biswas

Also - throw some light on what were the reasons that actually led to this division of assault rifle requirements between .223 and .308?

Thats a deadly hit squad of Para Sf!
Its usually a 6 member with a buddy pair of 2. This one has 4 members.
Left to right:
Tavors
1. Under barrel Grenade launcher
2. Star-21
3. Tar-21
Last one is holding LMG called Pikka.

View attachment 968

All of the rifles here are TAR-21 with MARS sight. STAR-21 would have got bipods and if there was a GTAR-21 then the Tavors would have been fitted with a T-40 40mm UBGL . Also the operative in far left has the GPMG which is actually called Type 80 LMG which is a weapon of Chinese origin. These Type 80 GPMG made by Norinco is actually based on Russian Kalashnikov PKM series. These captured Type 80 GPMGs were later used by Para SF in Squad Automatic Weapon role where its 7.62×54mmR is a hard-hitter. The Type 80 GPMG uses parts from both PK and PKM with the flash hider , receiver taken from PK while the butt-stock and trigger from PKM.

Many of us don't know about this pistol in service with Indian forces.

This is Jerincho 941 semi-automatic pistol which is based on Czech CZ-75 series of pistols with Israeli modifications. It is used by SFF and SG in India. It features a locked breech with a slide running along internal rails which add in inherent accuracy. It has got a butt safety lock and illuminated night sights which makes it an awesome weapon.

100.jpg

Galil SAR in service with Para SF

Many people don't know that Para SF procured not only the 7.62mm Sniper Variant of Galil but the SAR variant of Galil also . The SAR carbine variant, generally known as Glilon, is configured with a shorter barrel (332 mm, 13.07in). Due to the shorter barrel a corresponding shorter piston and gas tube as well as a unique gas block are found on the SAR.

1.jpg
2.jpg

All of the rifles here are TAR-21 with MARS sight. STAR-21 would have got bipods and if there was a GTAR-21 then the Tavors would have been fitted with a T-40 40mm UBGL . Also the operative in far left has the GPMG which is actually called Type 80 LMG which is a weapon of Chinese origin. These Type 80 GPMG made by Norinco is actually based on Russian Kalashnikov PKM series. These captured Type 80 GPMGs were later used by Para SF in Squad Automatic Weapon role where its 7.62×54mmR is a hard-hitter. The Type 80 GPMG uses parts from both PK and PKM with the flash hider , receiver taken from PK while the butt-stock and trigger from PKM.
Thanks a ton buddy.(y)
I have corrected my post.
I was doubtful about ubgl being there in the pic but wasnt sure how to spot Star-21.
Still trying to wrap my head around the Tavors. :)

Last edited:
Many of us don't know about this pistol in service with Indian forces.

This is Jerincho 941 semi-automatic pistol which is based on Czech CZ-75 series of pistols with Israeli modifications. It is used by SFF and SG in India. It features a locked breech with a slide running along internal rails which add in inherent accuracy. It has got a butt safety lock and illuminated night sights which makes it an awesome weapon.

View attachment 991

Here is mine.

Capture.JPG

The rounds on the right are brass casing too? .

Newbie Questions

1) Why is brass the ideal choice for making casing?
2) Why is lead used in the projectile?

I'll let MilSpec answer in greater detail if he pleases, but just to skim the surface:

1) 'Ideal' depends on your requirements, costs & availability. Casings can be made from brass, copper, steel or aluminium. Brass just happens to be heavily used in the West - in Russia (or USSR), copper was used more. Also, casings needn't completely be made out of one type of material. Many come coated/plated with a different type.

2) It is malleable, and also very dense (therefore more mass = potentially more damage). Again, there is no rule than only lead be used - but due to existing infrastructure and related costs, it is the most practical. But lead is soft so often it is jacketed in a harder material (like steel) in the bullet so it can retain it's properties for longer.

Bullets exist which can have non-lead cores (steel, copper, tungsten among others).

Reactions: GuardianRED
The rounds on the right are brass casing too? .

Newbie Questions

1) Why is brass the ideal choice for making casing?
2) Why is lead used in the projectile?
The ones in the image are just 9mm rounds, the ones in the box are AL case rounds, rounds can be cased in brass, AL and steel, brass expands seals the chamber but still is very tough to handle case pressures and are considered cleaner and are usually more expensive than steel or al rounds. Also brass rounds can be reused and reloaded, whereas steel and al cant afaik.

lead bullets: Affordable, dense, and easy to cast due to low melting point. Also being soft, it will transfer terminal force effectively.

Reactions: GuardianRED