Analysis Satellite Imagery thread

May be a Govt. sanctioned amount for now. Each of those can probably hold as many as 4 medium fighters if needed.

4 might be too many. If we compare the size with a Sukhoi and its normal hangers under construction, I think they are designed to house one Sukhoi (may be at most 2 medium fighters).

At first I thought the two per airbase may be to house the QAR aircrafts. But then, if you look at their placement, they are located far from the runway in some cases.

1590146832240.png

4 might be too many. If we compare the size with a Sukhoi and its normal hangers under construction, I think they are designed to house one Sukhoi (may be at most 2 medium fighters).
I was going to say 2 Su-30 and 4 Rafales given the size disparity.
1590147322385.png

This is not the normal holding pattern but to be used in case of emergency situation. Say if you have a cyclone headed in the direction of the base making flying very unsafe. At this point you'd want to cram in as many aircrafts in a shelter as possible. But then its just perception. Let's see if we can get some details from official sources.

Reactions: Kane
This is not the normal holding pattern but to be used in case of emergency situation. Say if you have a cyclone headed in the direction of the base making flying very unsafe. At this point you'd want to cram in as many aircrafts in a shelter as possible. But then its just perception.

I think cyclone is not such a big concern (For this a sufficiently strong concrete structure is sufficient). The main reason we have such hardened blast pens (multilayered blast proof) is to protect aircraft against bombs.

It is interesting. I would expect such constructions to be prioritized in more vulnerable areas first. However, such structures are also being constructed in Tanjavur (where a Sukhoi squadron has been recently raised).

Let's see if we can get some details from official sources.

How bro? I will be very happy if you can get some info from your little birds :) Otherwise, I don't expect any official source to provide info on this.

It is interesting. I would expect such constructions to be prioritized in more vulnerable areas first. However, such structures are also being constructed in Tanjavur (where a Sukhoi squadron has been recently raised).
Very interesting. What other bases are getting it ?
How bro? I will be very happy if you can get some info from your little birds
🤣 🤣 🤣
I have no little birds.
Otherwise, I don't expect any official source to provide info on this.
Its India, everything will be out sooner or later.

Almost all the air bases with fighter squadrons (including Pune, Sulur and Thanjavur)
@Falcon @vstol Jockey sir, any idea?
The modern warfare has moved to pre-emptive missile strikes from pre-emptive fighter strikes. It is important that we safeguard even the bases deep inside our territory which are generally used as training and R&R bases for frontline squadrons. I wont mind if we add ERA as the first layer atop these blast pens.

The modern warfare has moved to pre-emptive missile strikes from pre-emptive fighter strikes. It is important that we safeguard even the bases deep inside our territory which are generally used as training and R&R bases for frontline squadrons. I wont mind if we add ERA as the first layer atop these blast pens.

So even you think they might be blast pens. Bdw, what is ERA?

Also, what do you think is the logic to have just two per air base? Pilot project?

So even you think they might be blast pens. Bdw, what is ERA?

Also, what do you think is the logic to have just two per air base? Pilot project?
The blast pens have to be widely distributed. They should never be located close by. In case of an ALERT, the pilots can man the aircraft which are already ready with systems functional thru GPU and rolled out for take off within the time limit set. When an air defence alert is sounded, the pilots who are sitting in dug in positions run up to the aircraft and contact the ATC. the initial vectors for target are given to them at that time and they are cleared for take off on first call. The pilots on alert know which aircraft are available and how they need to taxi out to ensure that they take off in minimum time possible and yet be in a position to form a tactical formation to support eachother. The weapons are armed when the engines are being started and the aircraft tire check is done within the blast pen. The aircraft leaves the blast pen ready to engage an incoming strike. The piots after jumping into the aircraft, punch the start buttons to start engines and bring radar and weapons to standby which gets activated the moment air-ground switch which provides safety againt firing of weapons on ground, goes to air mode. So we are HOT the moment we retract our undercart and ready for combat. After that we change over to frequency used by GCI/AWACS. After that we get countinuos data uplink from our GCI /AWACS to intercept the enemy. The data uplink can be either voice based or electronical.

Reactions: Gautam and Kane
The blast pens have to be widely distributed. They should never be located close by.

Sir, agreed. So they are typically spread out like this:
1590164478163.png

The pilots on alert know which aircraft are available and how they need to taxi out to ensure that they take off in minimum time possible and yet be in a position to form a tactical formation to support eachother. The weapons are armed when the engines are being started and the aircraft tire check is done within the blast pen. The aircraft leaves the blast pen ready to engage an incoming strike.

For such Quick Alert Reactions (QAR), we usually place the fighters close to the runway so that they can take off in the shortest amount of time. Ofcourse our Sukhois do not fit in the usual blast pens.
1590164627786.png

But my question was, these two colorful new structures seem to be built in all the air bases and they are only two in numbers and not always close to the run way. Apologies for the noob questions!
1590164824306.png

You hvae a bit warped knowledge of blast pens. They are fixed and can be taken out by GPS guided missiles. But will we have every blast pen with an aircraft? Dummy and false stuff is a very big part of warfare. We might have SU-30MKI in open and being missed by missiles.
In IN we used to do drills every three months of ALERT. we were required to run over 100meters with all our uniform, G-suits and maewests and take off in shortest time of less than two minutes. By the time we reached our aircraft, our chest used to be thumping at its limit and we were required to control it and focus on mission at hand. Our crew also reached those limits as it was required to simulate a real situation. Mistakes were not accepted by anyone including officers and punished.
Imagine a first responder fighter squadron which is not upto the mark?

Its India, everything will be out sooner or later.

So they are indeed NGHAS. I have looked at few other air bases around the world.

Below is a pic of a south korean air base with such hangers under construction.
1591026136680.png

This is Kadina AB in Japan, Okinawa. They house F15s.
1591026893003.png

Now look at ours. The design seems to be inspired by western airbases (Russian bases do not usually have such hangers).
1591026617684.png

1591026721431.png

What is interesting is that initial reports on this emerged in 2015.

But the final nod was given only in 2019

But if we look at google maps, the construction started much earlier (in around 2016).
@vstol Jockey

Last edited:
Reactions: Volcano and Gautam
So they are indeed NGHAS. I have looked at few other air bases around the world.
Excellent work. Your sat images always look awesome. If you could devote sometime to observing our shipyards that would be great. I try, but I am very irregular.
Now look at ours. The design seems to be inspired by western airbases (Russian bases do not usually have such hangers).
Some differences exists too. Notice the door ? The Japanese and SK shelters have large sliding doors, we have hinged doors.

Excellent work. Your sat images always look awesome. If you could devote sometime to observing our shipyards that would be great. I try, but I am very irregular.

Thank you sir! I haven't looked into naval assets much. But will give it a try as and when I have some time.

Reactions: Gautam
Some progress on INS Taragiri :
May 2020 :
Screenshot (835).png

June 2020 :
Screenshot (858).png

The number of hull blocks integrated the yard has increased. The ship is being made using modular construction.

SBC, Vizag :
May 2020 :
Screenshot (829).png

June 2020 :
Screenshot (862).png

Oddly the covers on the subs have increased. In a normal shipbuilding cycle the cover on a ship/submarine reduces with increasing degree of completion. Once fully constructed covers are taken off entirely. This is necessary as the ship/submarine needs supplies/weapons which are loaded onboard using shipyard cranes. Cranes can't be used properly it the ship is covered up.

Now here are pics from March 2019:

Arighat :
Screenshot (35).png

Chakra and Arihant sitting together.
Screenshot (36).png

Notice the relative lack of cover ? Comparing the pics the obvious question is, are those two subs seen in the latest pics Arihant and Arighat ? At least one of them might be the follow up SSBN.

Reactions: Paro
Chinese Airbases

1)
Xigaze East (29°21'03.01" N 89°18'31.42" E) - with J 10s - Elevation: 3808m
1593331122705.png

2) Ngari (32°05'50.66" N 80°03'50.30" E) - Elevation: 4270m
1593331531621.png

3) Lhasa (29°18'00.31" N 90°55'19.22" E) - Elevation: 3577m
1593331797845.png

4) Nyingchi (29°19'11.35" N 94°24'24.68" E) - Elevation: 2950m
1593332181190.png

5) Hotan (37°02'23.41" N 79°51'51.15" E): Elevation: 1417m
2 J7 and 1 J 11 squadrons
1593332298606.png

6) Kashgar (39°32'26.18" N 76°01'07.11" E) - Elevation: 1377m
with JH7s and J11/Su30MKKs
1593332738825.png

7) Yarkant (38°14'41.32" N 77°03'33.88" E) - Elevation: 1297m
1593333378035.png

Do we have missiles which deliver carpet bombs along the length of an enemy's runway. This way we can totally disable the airfield and their aircrafts from taking off. Should we have not already modified Brahmos for such action?

Some progress on INS Taragiri :
May 2020 :
View attachment 16621

June 2020 :
View attachment 16620
The number of hull blocks integrated the yard has increased. The ship is being made using modular construction.

SBC, Vizag :
May 2020 :
View attachment 16622

June 2020 :
View attachment 16623

Oddly the covers on the subs have increased. In a normal shipbuilding cycle the cover on a ship/submarine reduces with increasing degree of completion. Once fully constructed covers are taken off entirely. This is necessary as the ship/submarine needs supplies/weapons which are loaded onboard using shipyard cranes. Cranes can't be used properly it the ship is covered up.

Now here are pics from March 2019:

Arighat :
View attachment 16625

Chakra and Arihant sitting together.
View attachment 16624

Notice the relative lack of cover ? Comparing the pics the obvious question is, are those two subs seen in the latest pics Arihant and Arighat ? At least one of them might be the follow up SSBN.
This might be silly, but looking solely on conning tower position, it looks like Arihant had returned from patrol in may month picture and in June it seemed to prepare for patrol again. Coincidence with April border incident?

Reactions: Gautam