National Security Advisory Board Blows 5g Bugle Build Local Muscle Get Real On China & News Pertaining To Huawei's Prospects Around The World.

Its better to wait than risk national security , even 4G hasn't been mature yet in India.
I heard a Vietnamese company offering 5G services???

4 G speed is sufficient for most of the practical purposes. Even if we allow Chinese company today, it will take 4-5 years to put up the network. It will not come from tomorrow therefore let us wait for Indian companies to come in 5G. Company like Reliance, which has huge fund In there hands can start 5G at any time.

• Agree
Reactions: Nikhil and Bali78
4 G speed is sufficient for most of the practical purposes. Even if we allow Chinese company today, it will take 4-5 years to put up the network. It will not come from tomorrow therefore let us wait for Indian companies to come in 5G. Company like Reliance, which has huge fund In there hands can start 5G at any time.
The issue isn't about allowing 5g. It's about which equipment are we going to use. In any case, even if Indian companies get into the act, they wouldn't be able to churn out these 5g equipment in 10 years which is what the article seems to suggest.

The issue isn't about allowing 5g. It's about which equipment are we going to use. In any case, even if Indian companies get into the act, they wouldn't be able to churn out these 5g equipment in 10 years which is what the article seems to suggest.

I think Israel has that 5G Technology power companies can collaborate it is right to make those required equipments.

• Agree
Reactions: Gautam
India should go for Nokia, Ericsson, Alcatel etc. Why should we go for Chinese stuff? Simultaneously Indian companies should develop their own base stations. In fact Mukesh Ambani does have a telecom research lab for last 10+ years. I don't know what they are doing these days though.

• Informative
Reactions: _Anonymous_
A friend who works in Qualcomm 5G system team (responsible for defining specification for 5G chipset) candidly admitted that there is no real practical usage of 5G. 4G is good enough for all current applications.

• Informative
Reactions: _Anonymous_
India should go for Nokia, Ericsson, Alcatel etc. Why should we go for Chinese stuff? Simultaneously Indian companies should develop their own base stations. In fact Mukesh Ambani does have a telecom research lab for last 10+ years. I don't know what they are doing these days though.
With all due respects our business class are still saddled with a trader mentality instead of a technocrat's.
I read some chatter about a Tejas network being developed. I didn't get the context or it's function. Hope any member out here with more domain knowledge contributes to more awareness on the subject matter.

With all due respects our business class are still saddled with a trader mentality instead of a technocrat's.
I read some chatter about a Tejas network being developed. I didn't get the context or it's function. Hope any member out here with more domain knowledge contributes to more awareness on the subject matter.
I am not sure Tejas networks can develop something like 5G base stations. I started my carrier in 3G base station (Node B) design and I can assure you it's highly possible to design network equipments in India, provided somebody is willing to wait for 5-6 years and invest few hundred million dollars. But as you said Indian companies are yet to come out of their trader mentality. So we will be dependent on MNCs.

In terms of speed, our 4G is not up to global standards though.
Actually I could do video conferencing from India with Airtel 4G when my BSNL landline network failed. I was quite surprised with the quality.

I've never traveled outside India, let alone use some other country's internet. So I can't really compare but then you read these articles in the media:

4G speed in India slowest in world - Times of India

India improves internet speed but still fares poorly in global rankings

Still buffering: India low on 4G speed
That's good quality BS. I don't know about current scenario, but 10 years back I can find a network anywhere in India. In fact I remember my phone detected 4 different networks at the top of a 13000 ft mountain peak near Shimla in 2005. In US, the network coverage is pathetic because people do not allow towers in their area due to fear of radiation. Except major freeways there is no network coverage.

Last edited:

China can threaten but allowing China to sell 5G devices and technology to our Telcom provider is fraught with huge risks. I remember when broadband services were first introduced in India, BSNL dataone BB service, that I subscribed to came with Huawei MT series routers. While we say it's a security risk, what are the alternatives. If it's not China, then it's American technology. The alternative is no less dangerous.

China can threaten but allowing China to sell 5G devices and technology to our Telcom provider is fraught with huge risks. I remember when broadband services were first introduced in India, BSNL dataone BB service, that I subscribed to came with Huawei MT series routers. While we say it's a security risk, what are the alternatives. If it's not China, then it's American technology. The alternative is no less dangerous.
As long as we have IP and products by Indian designers and manufacturers, its a choice of identifying the lesser evil. Just because Huawei is being pointed out due to geopolitics, doesn't mean Alcatel-Lucent or Nokia etc are saints either. Didn't the PRISM of NSA used CISCO backdoors?

• Agree
Reactions: Gautam