Multi-Role Carrier Borne Fighter For The Indian Navy - Updates & Discussions

What should we select?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
I LOL ed at wait for TEDBF option in the poll..

Damn that seems NOT BAD now
If I am optimistic for TEDBF then by 2033-34 we should have it in operation. And if I am realistic about MRCBF then it's gonna be 2027-28 before the 1st units are delivered.

A gap of 5-6 years maybe.

We can do without fighters in Navy for that period imo.

Reactions: Sathya
If I am optimistic for TEDBF then by 2033-34 we should have it in operation. And if I am realistic about MRCBF then it's gonna be 2027-28 before the 1st units are delivered.

A gap of 5-6 years maybe.

We can do without fighters in Navy for that period imo.
Even @randomradio was not this much optimistic. Trust me, it will not be operational before 2035. If IN waits that much long then they will repeat what IAF is doing now with mig 21, with mig29k.

Even @randomradio was not this much optimistic. Trust me, it will not be operational before 2035. If IN waits that much long then they will repeat what IAF is doing now with mig 21, with mig29k.
Russians/Soviets never operated any Mig21 model themselves for more than 25 years. They knew the engineering simply wasn't there for it. We did, that was a mistake.

Mig29 on the other hand comes with 30-35 years of Airframe life. Russians themselves have used them for similar timelines.

There might be issues, but not the Mig21 kind of stuff.

Reactions: Aditya b7777
Russians/Soviets never operated any Mig21 model themselves for more than 25 years. They knew the engineering simply wasn't there for it. We did, that was a mistake.

Mig29 on the other hand comes with 30-35 years of Airframe life. Russians themselves have used them for similar timelines.

There might be issues, but not the Mig21 kind of stuff.
I do agree with you on airforce version of Mig29, naval version surely will have far less life.

That is an OEM advertised figure, let's see
The Russians/Soviets did test the airframes of Mig29 family. And IAF Mig29s are gonna do like 45-50 years. That would be like 6500-7000 hours minimum.

Therefore I am saying that expecting a 30 year service life with 1 overhaul in between is reasonable.

And we are working on a overhaul of Mig29K.

Reactions: Sathya
o8x5xwmvxzo91.jpg

Korean's considering carrier version.

Reactions: Ginvincible
The Russians/Soviets did test the airframes of Mig29 family. And IAF Mig29s are gonna do like 45-50 years. That would be like 6500-7000 hours minimum.

Therefore I am saying that expecting a 30 year service life with 1 overhaul in between is reasonable.

And we are working on a overhaul of Mig29K.
Is the Mig-29k capable enough of a platform for the IN to justify not replacing it sooner? Even an optimistic scenario means the IN won't be getting initial TEDBF frames before 2032, how much longer after that to replace all the migs? In the meanwhile PLAN naval aviation in the IOR will dominate with much more capable platforms. Compared to the Rafale/SH the 29k is just inferior in almost every category. Not to mention the Rafale/SH will be more relevant longer and will give the IN the ability to crossdeck with Western carriers. Something that would be amazing experience to have with IAC-2 in mind

• Agree
Reactions: Sathya and Hydra
Is the Mig-29k capable enough of a platform for the IN to justify not replacing it sooner? Even an optimistic scenario means the IN won't be getting initial TEDBF frames before 2032, how much longer after that to replace all the migs? In the meanwhile PLAN naval aviation in the IOR will dominate with much more capable platforms. Compared to the Rafale/SH the 29k is just inferior in almost every category. Not to mention the Rafale/SH will be more relevant longer and will give the IN the ability to crossdeck with Western carriers. Something that would be amazing experience to have with IAC-2 in mind
Issues are not as bad as it were in say till 2015. But I would lie if I say extremely critical problems do not plague the mig29K fleet.

Its true that Rafale/SH will give IN the capability they want. But it comes down to the cost again.

Just 30% of the CAPEX available for foreign Procurement. And given that PMO is not ready to share the burden of P75A project, I doubt that Navy will have the dollars to close a deal anytime soon.

Reactions: Ginvincible
Issues are not as bad as it were in say till 2015. But I would lie if I say extremely critical problems do not plague the mig29K fleet.

Its true that Rafale/SH will give IN the capability they want. But it comes down to the cost again.

Just 30% of the CAPEX available for foreign Procurement. And given that PMO is not ready to share the burden of P75A project, I doubt that Navy will have the dollars to close a deal anytime soon.
Fair enough, I guess cost ultimately justifies everything. If purchase/leasing carrier bourne fighters isn't an option, hopefully India can rapidly setup A2/AD capabilities. Would love to see more mki in the A&N islands, validate agni-p for ASuW and getting the ball rolling on the SMART torpedo. TEDBF will have to come in huge numbers and take on more roles than just being a carrier bourne aircraft

Reactions: Amarante and Ashwin
Indian Navy evaluating trial report of Rafale, F-18 for USD 5 billion fighter jet deal
Read more At:

Supposing we select Rafale M,
Won't that IAF deal reduce the price of Rafale M?
Like ISE, spares, training stuff, weapons pack etc?