Mirage 2000H, MiG-29UPG, Jaguar DARIN III - Medium Multirole Aircraft of IAF

Despite what op-ed written by Americans like to repeatedly proclaim, Taiwan does not seem to be in any rush to get rid of its Mirage 2000. And I would dare say that right now, they're probably even less in a rush to get rid of any combat aircraft they have. As long as the airframes are airworthy, they'll keep it in service because they need all the mass they can have to deter China.

Fun fact, to protect Pelosi during her visit, they used Mirage 2000 instead of F-16.

I agree with what you say. But the jet needs to undergo an MLU.

2017:
Meanwhile, Air Force officials have met with representatives from France to discuss the possibility of upgrading Taiwan’s fleet of Dassault Mirage 2000 fighter jets. Taiwanese Air Force Chief of Staff Gen. Cheng Rong-Feng told Taiwanese legislators Thursday that a request was submitted during a defense cooperation meeting between the two countries in June.

He added that France has since sought information from the Taiwanese Air Force regarding the scope of work for any potential upgrade program, as well as the number of aircraft earmarked for the upgrade. However, following the briefing, Taiwan’s parliament decided to freeze funds for the upgrade pending a written report about the program from the service.

This is a pretty serious delay, so it stands to reason there's some weight in the rumour.

Common sense says they need to upgrade it. Dunno how well that will work with politics in the way.

They are now quite old...
And I have a doubt Taiwan is keen to sell it, with the actual tension wjth China.

Some in France think about a Rafale purchase to Taiwan, but :
- No order inked so far.
- The Dassault order book is full so no early delivery
- I doubt France ready to make such a blow to the chinese face.

About Taiwan :
French source said a couple of days ago that Taiwan will receive new MICA missile.
I don't know if it is the NG variant or not....
But if you order new missile, it is that you want to keep your actual bird for a while, or you intend to order another one fitted with this missile... (Rafale? I don't think it's true)

I get the feeling France isn't very interested in deepening cooperation with Taiwan, hence the delayed M2K upgrade.

It's likely that both the US and France believe Taiwan can't hold out, so don't want to risk handing over cutting edge tech only for it to end up in PLA's hands later on. There should be doubts about Taiwan's ability to protect secrets as well.

• Informative
Reactions: Bon Plan
Saw this today, I had no doubt mirages would serve till at least 2035 if IAF can manage the spares. It is still a frontline jet for us, every activity is trusted on the Mirages, from bombing op to scrambling chinese jets and it does to perfection. Before MK2 comes (which is a proper fighter jet compared to current MK1 lot) we should look into buying at least some 2nd hand Mirages even if only for spares.
Jaguars on other hand probably need replacing sooner.

• Informative
Reactions: john0496
The Hellenic Air Force appears to be interested in introducing at least 36 Mirage 2000-9 jets out of a total of 60 currently available in the UAE Air Force fleet. HAF's plan is to replace some of its older Mirage 2000 EG/BGs with younger ones. Furthermore, Athens would like to resell the most fatigued Mirages to a private French defense company for Red Air and air combat training activities.

The Emirates Mirage 2000-9 aircraft is expected to be available starting in 2026, when Abu Dhabi will receive the first Rafales from France.

The Hellenic Air Force appears to be interested in introducing at least 36 Mirage 2000-9 jets out of a total of 60 currently available in the UAE Air Force fleet. HAF's plan is to replace some of its older Mirage 2000 EG/BGs with younger ones. Furthermore, Athens would like to resell the most fatigued Mirages to a private French defense company for Red Air and air combat training activities.

The Emirates Mirage 2000-9 aircraft is expected to be available starting in 2026, when Abu Dhabi will receive the first Rafales from France.

Mk1A is already in production.
Uttam aesa + long range Astra mk2
Other sensors & bombs make it much more like standoff fighter..

Mk1A is already in production.
Uttam aesa + long range Astra mk2
Other sensors & bombs make it much more like standoff fighter..
No, not my views. I took that written part from a reddit post. Should have had mentioned it.

My intention was to draw attention to the fact that if at all UAE agrees to give away their Mirages, it will be done after 2027 when they have the 1st Rafale squadron up and running.

And if we are in such a crunch for 30 airframes in 2027-28, its better to simply order say 20 or so extra MK1A aircrafts.

• Agree
Reactions: Sathya
Mig-21 Bison Squadron (No. 51) at Srinagar AFS got replaced by Mig-29 UPG Squadron. -- Air Chief

6 sqd of jaguars, 3 sqd of Mig-29, and Mirage will be numberplated by the middle of next decade. -- Air Chief

Mig-21 Bison Squadron (No. 51) at Srinagar AFS got replaced by Mig-29 UPG Squadron. -- Air Chief

6 sqd of jaguars, 3 sqd of Mig-29, and Mirage will be numberplated by the middle of next decade. -- Air Chief
The 1st Jaguar squadron is slated to go out in 2025-26 according to ACM. Although he didn't answered the 2nd part on the status of DARIN 3 upgrade. Maybe he missed it.

EF4487BE-B2EA-4D71-A126-CEC16C248914.jpeg