Mid Air Refueling Tanker : Updates & Discussions

Then what were you referring to ?
IAI has been working on Boeing aircrafts, converting them to tankers.

And as of now it seems that IAF is looking to go the A330 way. So it will be interesting to see how easy the same conversion can be applied to Airbus. Although some say that they are looking to get A330 in their catalogue too.

It's just confusing as to what HAL-IAI JV might offer to IAF. 767 or A330 or maybe surpri6us all with 737?

IAI has been working on Boeing aircrafts, converting them to tankers.

And as of now it seems that IAF is looking to go the A330 way. So it will be interesting to see how easy the same conversion can be applied to Airbus. Although some say that they are looking to get A330 in their catalogue too.

It's just confusing as to what HAL-IAI JV might offer to IAF. 767 or A330 or maybe surpri6us all with 737?
I don't think lack of experience with Airbus built aircraft is a serious handicap. The technology is the same . What applies to one can be applied to another . The only issue is whether the OEM is willing to extend co operation during the refit & certify it . That shouldn't be a problem in case IAF selects the A-330 too .

• Haha
Reactions: Innominate
I don't think lack of experience with Airbus built aircraft is a serious handicap. The technology is the same . What applies to one can be applied to another . The only issue is whether the OEM is willing to extend co operation during the refit & certify it . That shouldn't be a problem in case IAF selects the A-330 too .
A310 conversions for Canada and Germany are really good. Very good amount of fuel capacity, large cargo carrying capacity and troop carrying capacity too.

Maybe not the over sized cargo items like IFVs or Helicopters or M777. But A330 MRTT can fill in gaps left by insufficient number of C17s bought.

I surely look forward to this. 12 aircrafts can come from this.

A310 conversions for Canada and Germany are really good. Very good amount of fuel capacity, large cargo carrying capacity and troop carrying capacity too.

Maybe not the over sized cargo items like IFVs or Helicopters or M777. But A330 MRTT can fill in gaps left by insufficient number of C17s bought.

I surely look forward to this. 12 aircrafts can come from this.
Frankly I'm vehemently against this kind of jugaad that's currently in flavour citing the example of the west. They don't face a 2 front challenge that we do particularly when those 2 happen to be heavily armed & N powers.

We should have dedicated AEW , Refuellers & Transport Aircrafts . Period.

• Haha
Reactions: Innominate
Frankly I'm vehemently against this kind of jugaad that's currently in flavour citing the example of the west. They don't face a 2 front challenge that we do particularly when those 2 happen to be heavily armed & N powers.

A321 based Netra mk2 is sure for now. Rest can still change. Let's see how things happen.

It's 2022, you forgot!?!

• Haha
Reactions: _Anonymous_
Multiple SM accounts ( Twitter + YT ) seem to be reporting conversion of 6 x Boeing 767 into refuelers. I wonder what's the source of the information & if it's true what's the IAF doing leasing the Airbus A330 MRTT ?

Incidentally the Boeing KC-46 Pegasus is based on the 767 & is reportedly a problematic model.

Edit : Bloomberg - Are you a robot?

Thankfully this has more to do with the refueling mechanism than with the aircraft.

Last edited:
AFAIK, 1 A330 will be leased for 10 years, 6 Boeing 767s will be converted with Israeli help.

All because it's 2022.

The A330 lease is a separate contract, nothing to do with the Boeing conversion. It's meant for training IAF crews.

The conversion and transfer should cost $150M per aircraft.

AFAIK, 1 A330 will be leased for 10 years, 6 Boeing 767s will be converted with Israeli help.

All because it's 2022.

The A330 lease is a separate contract, nothing to do with the Boeing conversion. It's meant for training IAF crews.

Since it's 2022. https://www.iai.co.il/p/a330-300bdsf

IAI has started to work on A330 cargo conversions too. So maybe they can apply the tanker kit on a330 too. Who knows.

Reactions: _Anonymous_

All because it's 2022.

And IAF will be waiting for ever since.