Mid Air Refueling Tanker : Updates & Discussions

Possible solution to IAF tanker requirement:

View attachment 14967

Compared to our previous contract terms for 6 unit acquisition in 2013:

Do the math. 6 unit purchase with an operational lifespan of 25-30 years for $1.5 billion or 14 unit lease for 27 years which includes maintenance, infrastructure and other services for $3.5 billion.

Good Day!
Israel recently got FMS cleared for 8 KC46 worth 2.4 billion USD.

Its better we simply buy the tankers.

Reactions: Hydra
That's the same cost per aircraft, so the question is whether the purchase price includes maintenance, infrastructure, and other services, like the lease, or not.

Remember: if you lease from a company, that company is angling to get a profit out of it, one way or another.
Israel recently got FMS cleared for 8 KC46 worth 2.4 billion USD.

Its better we simply buy the tankers.

The Indian deal I quote did not include maintenance or infrastructure costs as was not part of the RFP.

Outright purchase might be the most cost efficient strategy for the long term but you have to look at it from the short term perspective when you consider countries like India. I'd recommend you guys to dig through the reason why A330 was not signed up for despite winning the competition twice. Finance ministry was adamant about signing up for the deal due to its high acquisition cost that is spread over a period of 5-7 years. Lease might be preferred because the cost is spread over a longer period of time. It will also mandate the operator to guarantee a high rate of availability which might not be cheaper to ensure when the air force maintains it.

KC-46 is smaller and will have higher maintenance cost over a longer period of time as the Boeing 767 platform is significantly more maintenance intensive than an Airbus A330. Not to mention the delays and issues Boeing is facing due to serious issues in quality at the KC-46 assembly plant.

P.S: Have personal experience with both B767 and A330 platforms, the latter is the best choice anyday. Not to mention the commanlity with future AWACS-I platforms.

Boeing also points out that the KC-46A is a smaller aircraft: 50m (165ft) tip-to-tail compared to the A330 MRTT, which is 59m (193ft) in length. The KC-46A’s wingspan is 48m (158ft), about 12m (40ft) narrower than the A330.

In terms of sheer volume, though, the Airbus A330 MRTT comes out on top. The aircraft can carry far more fuel and passengers than the KC-46. But Boeing notes that the greater size makes the MRTT less flexible and more expensive to operate. An A330 tanker can carry 290 passengers compared to a maximum of 110 on the Pegasus.

Boeing touts KC-46A cost, combat design ahead of Korean decision

Boeing had expressed confidence before the decision, touting estimates that the KC-46A it is developing for the US Air Force will cost 25% less to own and operate over its life-cycle compared with the A330 MRTT, despite being a more expensive aircraft up front. However, Airbus offers a much larger aircraft compared with the 767-based KC-46A, and it can carry 111t (245,000lb) of fuel and up to 300 troops.

Airbus beats Boeing in South Korean tanker competition

Good Day!

Last edited:
Another drama starts. Airbus had won. Why the nonsense when you have no money?

Reactions: Kane
And will continue to spend more time as the Government has simply not allocated the necessary budgetary support.

The glaring absence of orders for LCH, LCA is a stark reminder of the fact that there is very little money for allocation to encourage integration of home grown tech.

It is easy to argue for integration of home grown tech but that is possible only when your tech has been proven and your security imperatives are within control.

KC 46 is a boom type, am i right? Wether IAF can make use this boom?
Refulling system can be modified, Israelis have done in past for us. I feel we might have the necessary knowledge to do it ourselves as well by now.

Refulling system can be modified, Israelis have done in past for us. I feel we might have the necessary knowledge to do it ourselves as well by now.
I am not telling that k46 is of no use to IAF, it has normal probe type systems too. My query is other than c17 any IAF aircraft can refuel from a boom?

The Indian Air Force (IAF) has approached the French government to lease one Airbus A330 multi-role tanker transport aircraft for training purposes as a precursor to lease five more mid-air refuellers for increasing the combat capability and radius of its multi-role fighters.

The leasing will be done on government-to-government basis with the IAF already issuing a request for information (RFI) for a single aircraft while a request for proposals route will be used for the additional five refuellers on lease. The issue was discussed during Air Chief Marshal RKS Bhadauria’s visit to France last week.

“With IAF looking towards A330 refuellers for its future, it is only natural that its pilots are trained in advance to handle the aircraft as mid-air refuelling is a precision process with zero margin of error and huge stakes,” said an IAF official.

RFI for wet lease of 1 tanker issued last year. 6 parties have responded. Evaluation under process. Hopefully decision will be made shortly.

• Haha
Reactions: Innominate

RFI for wet lease of 1 tanker issued last year. 6 parties have responded. Evaluation under process. Hopefully decision will be made shortly.
The kind of delays I see in Indian defence procurement, at the behest of either domestic or foreign vendors is leading to such a huge loss to country in defence preparedness, NOT ONLY LIMITED TO TANKERS. We could had used our existing civilian aircraft fleet for conversion, might had gone for C130, C295 etc for tanker support role, but hey be cool! It's all well in Zombieland...

I am not telling that k46 is of no use to IAF, it has normal probe type systems too. My query is other than c17 any IAF aircraft can refuel from a boom?
If my understanding is correct, then any aircraft in service of Indian airforce, is having boom operated refuller system in another airforce/Navy/marine service, then IAF can also use the same type of aircraft for boom operated refulling with minimal modifications/retrofitting. Few examples that do come to mind are C130J super Hercules, C17, C295, Recon aircraft like Boing 707 etc.

A330 has a good non fuel cargo carrying capacity. I wonder if it is possible to modify the internal structure of the aircraft so that instead of two decks , only one single deck is there, so that it can also function to carry over sized cargo, like maybe trucks etc.
The kind of delays I see in Indian defence procurement, at the behest of either domestic or foreign vendors is leading to such a huge loss to country in defence preparedness, NOT ONLY LIMITED TO TANKERS. We could had used our existing civilian aircraft fleet for conversion, might had gone for C130, C295 etc for tanker support role, but hey be cool! It's all well in Zombieland...
No single person wants to take the initiative so as to shield themselves from any blame in case anything goes wrong.

This will mean the A330 from France isn't happening. HAL will likely buy A330 or B767 from civilian market and convert it.
This is the problem with what ought to be one of our most technical arms of the armed services. They just don't have any forward planning or scope for contingencies. Either they can't read the political tea leaves about what's possible & what isn't or they're plain stupid.

This mid air refueller is only part of the problem . Upgrades / modernization & fresh procurement of new platforms is another huge issue. Quite frankly if this is the solution they've sought today what prevented them from doing so at least 5 yrs ago.

After all the west has gone several steps ahead & contracted refuellers from civilian companies on a part time basis which I think is a foolish & short sighted move just as I think contracting a plane to serve two roles as a refueller & AEW is a foolish move for they both are full time requirements

• Haha
Reactions: Innominate