Staff member
Administrator
Nov 30, 2017
Bangalore
RFI is out for 25 ton light tank.

Attachments

• RFI FOR LT TK 23042021.pdf
    456.5 KB · Views: 254
Which are the Currently Operational Light Tanks available in the world with these Specifications

Because it is asking for so many things

Now this will drag on till DRDO comes up with its own version 5 years down the line and everything will get cancelled. then it will get delayed for 5 years, then under emergency procurement we will order when there is a crisis in 2035, meaning first delivery of 25 ton tank will happen in 2037-2038.

This is best case scenario. And hoping requirements don't change.

Am actually interested. Let's see how it progresses.

At 25T, there's only crap in the market. The only things available today are upgunned IFVs.

We're gonna have to design our own or just be happy with whatever the Russians have ready today.

Now this will drag on till DRDO comes up with its own version 5 years down the line and everything will get cancelled. then it will get delayed for 5 years, then under emergency procurement we will order when there is a crisis in 2035, meaning first delivery of 25 ton tank will happen in 2037-2038.

This is best case scenario. And hoping requirements don't change.
I bet this is the best case for phase 1.....

RFI is out for 25 ton light tank.
Asper RFI,we want this tank to operate in cold conditions of high altitude and desert areas of Rajasthan.
When the primary requirements of new light tank is to operate in Ladakh as answer to Chinese light tank, why IA kept the requirement to optional capability in desert area? Such broad working temperature makes the design of tank complex and expensive i guess. And funny part is that a light tank deployed desert will fase Pakistani regular tank fleets, by nature a medium tank is superior a light tank.

I have repeatedly said from the time of Ladakh conflict that who so ever has specific weapons to fight in the Himalayan region will dominate the conflict. Most of the weapons we used in general are useless in in Himalayan tarrain. Some highly specific weapons such as Brahmos block 3, Apache , advanced light helicopter , pralay can be useful in Himaliyan region. You cannot fight and win a war in Himalayan region with the traditional weapons you possess. It is a special terrain and special weapons are required to fight in that area. This has necisiated light tank. We should make it sure that we get it in 4 to 5 years with private partition.

Asper RFI,we want this tank to operate in cold conditions of high altitude and desert areas of Rajasthan.
When the primary requirements of new light tank is to operate in Ladakh as answer to Chinese light tank, why IA kept the requirement to optional capability in desert area? Such broad working temperature makes the design of tank complex and expensive i guess. And funny part is that a light tank deployed desert will fase Pakistani regular tank fleets, by nature a medium tank is superior a light tank.

Where did you read it's gonna be used in Rajasthan?

Primary requirement is mobility by air and air droppable. Even in Rajasthan desert, this tank can be dropped by air to support our Para Brigade.

Light tank in my opinion is not a practical solution. But however let's see how this project turns out.
Light tanks with be extremely useful in places where our T-72, T-90 cannot venture.
Also, the RFI is for only 350 light tanks, such a order is piecemeal when you compare that to the number of T-72, T-90 operated by the IA.

Light tanks with be extremely useful in places where our T-72, T-90 cannot venture.
Also, the RFI is for only 350 light tanks, such a order is piecemeal when you compare that to the number of T-72, T-90 operated by the IA.
There are a lot of reasons why a light tank is not practical and will not be able to face any modern army in any type of theatre for various reasons.

Will talk about those once this process moves forward.

Anyways I am not saying that this procurement will not happen, it might happen. I am saying that this is not a solution.

There are a lot of reasons why a light tank is not practical and will not be able to face any modern army in any type of theatre for various reasons.

Will talk about those once this process moves forward.

Anyways I am not saying that this procurement will not happen, it might happen. I am saying that this is not a solution.

While a light tank cannot go head to head with enemy MBTs, it will still give a significant advantage to infantry within their area of operations. It's the same reason why the US has the MPF program in order to protect their infantry.

There's a pretty good chance this deal will go to the US, but Russia's latest Sprut modification is no lemon. Looks like an America vs Russia contest again.

In our case, dropping paras with the tank will be a significant force multiplier. And in the mountains our infantry will be facing the Chinese light tank, so it provides some parity. So whether it's practical or not is something only the army can decide. We don't have the information necessary to make any conclusion.

• Agree
Reactions: Ginvincible
While a light tank cannot go head to head with enemy MBTs, it will still give a significant advantage to infantry within their area of operations. It's the same reason why the US has the MPF program in order to protect their infantry.

There's a pretty good chance this deal will go to the US, but Russia's latest Sprut modification is no lemon. Looks like an America vs Russia contest again.

In our case, dropping paras with the tank will be a significant force multiplier. And in the mountains our infantry will be facing the Chinese light tank, so it provides some parity. So whether it's practical or not is something only the army can decide. We don't have the information necessary to make any conclusion.
My mind went straight to the MPF program the US is looking for, but the goal of MPF is a bit different (better protected fire support that is rapidly deployable to support airborne units against near peer adversaires in more urban settings). I can't help but think the Sprut is unfortunately the only one that really meets the fantastic requirements set about in the tender. None of the MPF contenders are meant to be air dropped ( I think the M8 was technically droppable?), neither have amphibious capabilities and both will likely be well over 30 tons. Russia will also try to dangle some ToT or local manufacturing over India that the US likely won't. For such a low order I doubt a local development will be feasible on any reasonable time table.

My mind went straight to the MPF program the US is looking for, but the goal of MPF is a bit different (better protected fire support that is rapidly deployable to support airborne units against near peer adversaires in more urban settings). I can't help but think the Sprut is unfortunately the only one that really meets the fantastic requirements set about in the tender. None of the MPF contenders are meant to be air dropped ( I think the M8 was technically droppable?), neither have amphibious capabilities and both will likely be well over 30 tons. Russia will also try to dangle some ToT or local manufacturing over India that the US likely won't. For such a low order I doubt a local development will be feasible on any reasonable time table.

In the end it's the RFP that matters. If the IA insists on specs that the MPF prototypes do not have, then they will just get stuck with a single-vendor situation. Anyway, it doesn't appear the IA is looking at amphibious capability since the RFI asks for fording.

There are other issues with the MPF, like the 105mm gun vs Sprut's 125mm. There's also the BMD-4M with the T-90M's gun. Both will be able to fire bigger shells and even missiles. But the Americans will likely have a sensor advantage.

Very few options from outside.

Local development is feasible since it will simply carry on from all the work done on both Arjun and FICV. But it's unrealistic to expect DRDO to accomplish anything in a time-bound manner.

One reason many give for this project is to have something to counter the Chinese Light Tank.

Just saying that forget a Chinese light tank, today if we want a vehicle protected against just 25-30mm Armour Piercing Shells, that vehicle itself will weight near 30 tons. That vehicle will have zero chances against anything with a bigger gun.

What instead should be done is to undertake a comprehensive upgrade on the newest of our T72 tanks focusing on mobility upgrade and putting money on upgrade of infrastructure on the border.

For any other role than this, a IFV concept should be worked upon, from where a solution with a higher calibre gun can be derived.

Talking about options CV90 with 105/120mm gun concept and all round protection from HMG AP and Frontal Arc protection against 30mm AP is the best solution if we are hell bent, but that too is above 30 tons in weight.

• Agree
Reactions: Bali78
Rather than buying such new Light tanks , we should increase the NUMBER of our ATGMs and MBRLs

How quickly you can destroy Enemy assets by Raining Missiles and Rockets on his troops and vehicles , will decide your fate in A War

T 72 is a Light Tank

Reactions: Tatvamasi and Hydra