LCA Tejas Mk1 & Mk1A - News and discussions

Last edited:
The closest thing Egypt is now to signing is new deal for 24 Eurofighters. With 200+ F16, 54 Rafale , 40+ new Mig29s and possibly Su35 too, I find the news difficult to believe.

The oldest F-16s, 80 of them, need replacement. That's enough to run a production line with Mk1As, and then transition over to Mk2, which can then replace pretty much all the F-16s.
You need to improve your phrasing. You don't know if India will offer anything for a "yet to fly" aircraft. But you expect that.

The LCA airframe is a success. Any modernisation of the airframe is significantly risk-free compared to a new design. Mk2 is basically a stretched Mk1.

Tejas is being offered as LIFT. In future, due to production line of Tejas LIFT at Egypt, LCA mk2 may become automatic choice for Egypt to replace F16 with local production at the same line. just hoping the same has also been offered by GOI.

The LIFT version has way too much competition.

But the fighter version has no real competition. For countries like Egypt and Vietnam, the Swedes have a stick up their *censored* when it comes to military exports. They only sell to countries that don't plan on going to war, only India was the exception. The F-16 is getting old and comes with significant export restrictions. And the LCA will still hold a significant price advantage against both types.

The LIFT version has way too much competition.

But the fighter version has no real competition. For countries like Egypt and Vietnam, the Swedes have a stick up their *censored* when it comes to military exports. They only sell to countries that don't plan on going to war, only India was the exception. The F-16 is getting old and comes with significant export restrictions. And the LCA will still hold a significant price advantage against both types.
Yes you are right but as per the various news at first Tejas LIFT is on offer since last year itself though it cant be confirmed. However, the fact that we can offer a complete package of LCA LIFT at the start + mk1A &/or mk2 in future from the same local production line can be in our favour. Moreover, Tejas is better than other options for LIFT and cost effective also.

Yes you are right but as per the various news at first Tejas LIFT is on offer since last year itself though it cant be confirmed. However, the fact that we can offer a complete package of LCA LIFT at the start + mk1A &/or mk2 in future from the same local production line can be in our favour. Moreover, Tejas is better than other options for LIFT and cost effective also.

Let's hope we win, but I'm sure the Texan will take it.

Let s pitch in Mig 29 spares & maintenance deal with it.

India has to become the conduit for defence trade between Russia and their clients. Back in December, we signed a deal with the Russians where Russian companies will set up JVs with Indian companies to produce spares. It's meant for both India and exports. So Russian clients already know what's coming next.

• Love
Reactions: Sathya
The LCA airframe is a success. Any modernisation of the airframe is significantly risk-free compared to a new design. Mk2 is basically a stretched Mk1.
How does any of this entail you to say "And we are offering production tech" in the present tense?
Apparently, HAL is already engaged in export of mig-29 spares to many countries including Malaysia.
Probably for the engine which they license produce.

There won't be much of a difference between SPORT and Texan. The Texan should be built to better quality standards as well.
Texan is a turboprop trainer for primary flight training it cant do the role of a LIFT. It is in complete separate category and Tejas is not competing in that category. Tejas has been offered in LIFT role to replace K-8 trainers of Egypt airforce.

Let s pitch in Mig 29 spares & maintenance deal with it.
Apparently, local production of choppers like ALH & LCH have also been pitched which can also lend advantage. We may see HAL Videsh Nigam Ltd in Egypt.

Texan is a turboprop trainer for primary flight training it cant do the role of a LIFT. It is in complete separate category and Tejas is not competing in that category. Tejas has been offered in LIFT role to replace K-8 trainers of Egypt airforce.

My bad, I was referring to the Red Hawk.

My bad, I was referring to the Red Hawk.
As far as i know Red hawk is not offered to Egypt. Moreover, while red hawk in current form is an advanced trainer like iHawk but it still lacks the ability to be a LIFT. Hasnt USAF itself issued a RFI last year for LIFT other than T-7?

As far as i know Red hawk is not offered to Egypt. Moreover, while red hawk in current form is an advanced trainer like iHawk but it still lacks the ability to be a LIFT. Hasnt USAF itself issued a RFI last year for LIFT other than T-7?

It qualifies as a LIFT.

It qualifies as a LIFT.
May be it does but still its capabilities are way below SPORT. USAF believes in current form it is not adequate.
Moreover, it is not offered to Egypt as yet. Local production offer and capabilities of SPORT can make it a winning bid.

Reactions: Shekhar Singh