LCA Tejas Mk1 & Mk1A - News and discussions

But the Mk-1a's don't go into production before 2024. How do you like that ? It's already late by a year but broadly in keeping with our expectations of HAL's schedule.
We actually will see production run of 18 Tejas Trainers now. 8 from FOC and 10 from Mk1A order. That should keep the line busy till 3rd quarter of 2023. After which production activities for MK1A can commence. If there is a gap then maybe order 10 more trainers..

We actually will see production run of 18 Tejas Trainers now. 8 from FOC and 10 from Mk1A order. That should keep the line busy till 3rd quarter of 2023. After which production activities for MK1A can commence. If there is a gap then maybe order 10 more trainers..
Are you sure? I distinctly recall the Mk-1a trainers being scheduled to be built after the 73 nos were rolled out. Besides there's no communication whatsoever on whether the Mk-1a with all it's modifications & upgrades has received the go through sign or even when it's scheduled to be so . How then are we expecting the Mk-1a trainers to go into production?

Are you sure? I distinctly recall the Mk-1a trainers being scheduled to be built after the 73 nos were rolled out. Besides there's no communication whatsoever on whether the Mk-1a with all it's modifications & upgrades has received the go through sign or even when it's scheduled to be so . How then are we expecting the Mk-1a trainers to go into production?
The twin seaters Mk1A order will actually be of the same specification of that of the Mk1. So all 18 will be built together.

Reactions: Aditya b7777
Then why's it called Mk-1a?

They will have the Same Combat Capabilities as the other 73 Single seater MK.1A fighters

That is AESA and other EW suites.

Once AESA and EW suites are
Made fully operational
Why Will IAF accept an Inferior MK 1 level trainer

A small modification can be made to the existing contract

Last edited:
Just like they have Fast Tracked LCA Tejas FOC and mk1a. FOC all delivered and mk1a will be delivered within a year by quota chaap employees of HAL... 😡😡

I spoke with one of my friends who works at the PSU behemoth in Bangalore.....he said that there is a very strong focus on indigenization + including private companies in defence production. He said that this focus + pressure is directly from PMO office. Previously, our PSUs used to source many of raw material from Europe + USA. There is strong focus to change that to atma nirbar.

He says that private MSMEs are complaining straight to PMO, when they see something very wrong.....and PMO office is asking for explanation from these PSUs.

So, things are changing for sure......that is the good news.

They will have the Same Combat Capabilities as the other 73 Single seater MK.1A fighters

That is AESA and other EW suites.

Once AESA and EW suites are
Made fully operational
Why Will IAF accept an Inferior MK 1 level trainer

A small modification can be made to the existing contract

The trainers are all in the Mk1 configuration. Mk1A are only fighters, with AESA and whatnot.
I spoke with one of my friends who works at the PSU behemoth in Bangalore.....he said that there is a very strong focus on indigenization + including private companies in defence production. He said that this focus + pressure is directly from PMO office. Previously, our PSUs used to source many of raw material from Europe + USA. There is strong focus to change that to atma nirbar.

He says that private MSMEs are complaining straight to PMO, when they see something very wrong.....and PMO office is asking for explanation from these PSUs.

So, things are changing for sure......that is the good news.

Been happening for 2 years now.

From a menagerie of platforms , IAF is graduating to a menagerie of ammo.
Laser Guided general purpose and INS+GPS/IRNSS guided general purpose kits should be designed and developed in India. Depending upon platform, target and weather we can use them in large numbers.

They do not require multiple guidance systems into a single thing , or a TV relay or a rocket booster.

It's simply a affordable guidance kit for a low drag dumb bomb of various weights.

It should happen in India.

Laser Guided general purpose and INS+GPS/IRNSS guided general purpose kits should be designed and developed in India. Depending upon platform, target and weather we can use them in large numbers.

They do not require multiple guidance systems into a single thing , or a TV relay or a rocket booster.

It's simply a affordable guidance kit for a low drag dumb bomb of various weights.

It should happen in India.
Why isn't it happening ?

• Haha
Reactions: Innominate
Why isn't it happening ?
I mean no disrespect to the talented folks at DRDO, IAF or any defense org of our country, but it could be due to 3 reasons according to me: one, (least possible and almost non-sensical) we don't possess the capability to develop it; two, IAF didn't want an indigenous solution and third it is under development and it will take some time so until it gets developed IAF decided to arm Tejas with JDAM.

I mean no disrespect to the talented folks at DRDO, IAF or any defense org of our country, but it could be due to 3 reasons according to me: one, (least possible and almost non-sensical) we don't possess the capability to develop it; two, IAF didn't want an indigenous solution and third it is under development and it will take some time so until it gets developed IAF decided to arm Tejas with JDAM.
No it was a great decision integrating the JDAM. The tejas becomes a strong export prospect in the rest of third world and also in middle east and Europe. We also need to integrate the aim-120c7/d atleast with the mk1a. Then it will sell like fire. We just need a rd 33mk3 based tejas for export in Africa to cut costs. And a cheaper aesa/pesa for the tejas that can cut costs of the tejas further.
Tejas should be integrated with all the american munitions just for interoperability and export. Same for European smart munitions like spear 3 and kepd 350. We will have Gripen killer in no time.

Turkey has it since atleast 5 years ago, Pakistan has been assembling Chinese kits and from a few years even offering them for export under new name and paint.

And we are making guided missiles for so long now. And inertial guidance was one of the earliest systems used by us. So it's technically not so different.

Plus it's extremely important. For say 30 lakh we spend on one kit , that single bomb will do the job of say 4-6 similar bombs.

For LGBs you need the litening, but for simpler GPS guided ones , you don't even need those. Instead of the pod , you can get a jammer.