LCA Tejas Mk1 & Mk1A - News and discussions

Lol this is not fan made

It was uploaded by a retd iaf officer who snapped it during a webinar or conference where he was invited to

The timeline is realistic for LCA Mk1A and AMCA Mk1, but totally unrealistic for LCA Mk2 and AMCA Mk2. Do you really believe IAF will take delivery of IOC LCA Mk2 in 2026?
they will keep flying Jaguars, Mirrage and Mig -29 at least till 2035 and may be 2040.

That's actually the plan even if the LCA and AMCA timelines are met.

Not necessarily. I think the ADA / HAL combine will be following the same path as they did for the Mk1. Get the IOC post first flight which is scheduled for 1st quarter 2023 , within 3 years - i.e 2026 , after which HAL draws up a production schedule for 30-40 aircraft to be delivered within 4 years while the FOC is completed by 2028 or 29.

Having said that, the first flight must take place by 2023 & the process for contract negotiations, drafting & signature should occur within a year of the first flight such that by the time of the IOC by 2026 , it can straight away proceed to production . Otherwise we'd see a situation as we do now wherein the procedure for contract negotiations & signature has already taken 4 years since MP & the MoD under him decided on developing the Mk1a. The only saving grace here is that the Mk1a - still under development thanks to the new subsystems being tested apart from a few other minor modifications will proceed directly into production from prototype stage w/o the need for fresh certification based on the certification of the Mk1.

The upgradation of the Mirages is still on & is expected to see the Mirages in service at least till 2035-40. The MiG 29's are sparingly flown & truth be told though it was a fine air superiority fighter in it's time, it hasn't aged well in spite of the upgradations being undertaken.

As far as the Jaguars go even if we did upgrade it with a new engine apart from the DARIN - lll upgrades being undertaken, I can't exactly see the role it's expected to perform except to make up the nunbers . I admit the assessment regarding the Jaguars is a bit harsh but they're certainly of no use on the eastern front. OTOH, on the Western Front, they may see limited utility once the IAF has established total air superiority .
I think both the targets i.e. first flight in 2023 and IOC within 3 years, are extremely difficult to achieve by ADA and HAL. If they can do that even with 2 years delay, I would consider it as a great achievement.
Regarding MK1a, I hope HAL doesn’t cut corners and deliver them with expected quality and schedule.

I think both the targets i.e. first flight in 2023 and IOC within 3 years, are extremely difficult to achieve by ADA and HAL. If they can do that even with 2 years delay, I would consider it as a great achievement.
Regarding MK1a, I hope HAL doesn’t cut corners and deliver them with expected quality and schedule.

First flight to IOC in 3 years is easy to achieve. First flight to delivery of IOC jet in 3 years is not.

LCA LSP-3, the first jet to have almost all the technologies required for IOC, first flew in 2010 and achieved IOC in 2013, full flight envelope was opened up in 2015. LSP-4 was the full IOC aircraft and flew a few months later in 2010. So it's already been achieved. Rather the 3 years timeline for IOC is quite comfortable.

What I'm wondering is if HAL plans to begin production of the first IOC squadron right after first flight, so that the first production jet is delivered in 2026.

So Gripen E is interesting by that respect. It first flew in 2017, but first delivery happened in 2019 to the Swedish Air Force. They plan to achieve IOC in 2021, but that's after a squadron is in service, unlike us who give IOC certification before a squadron is raised. Which means the jet delivered in 2019 is the IOC jet. By that same respect, if HAL begins production in 2023 alongside the first flight of the Mk2, then we will see the first squadron delivery in either 2026 or 2027, depending on how quickly they go about it. For example, they may deliver only 2 jets in the first year and the remaining in the second year. So a full IOC squadron can be raised by 2027. We also plan to use 1 more prototype than Saab did for quicker certification.

a9f8f737dd938ac6217569ea7bd7bb1bf93bf6e4_eca59c5f6c9d93560dcc2cfdfe73cb0d3a406c78_twitter.jpeg

PV-5

Will HAL put its own funds (similar to LCH) to build the first 2 Mk1A aircrafts to begin full integration testing or will it only start the work (it maybe testing all the changes related to Mk1A in LSP / SP aircrafts) once the deal is signed? I guess the changes to MK1A will be based on the Mk1 FOC variant and one of the FOC aircrafts can be used to integrate all the changes and start the testing even before all the 16 FOC aircrafts are delivered to IAF.

Got this tender of
"Supply of Raw Materials for LCA MK1A Programme"

Link: https://hal-india.co.in/Tender_Details.aspx?Mkey=63&lKey=&Ckey=Mjc4NDQ=&Divkey=MTY=
Maybe the deal is in an advanced stage
HAL / ADA should regularly update their website (on a weekly basis) on the progress of the testing on the individual improvements that are being conducted on the LSP aircrafts. They should follow the LCH model and start building this aircraft with internal funds, if available and not wait for the order to be signed.

Reactions: Killbot
Sir , I found this picture of F 15 on Twitter

Is it even true , 4 missiles in one Pylon

Image is right. They do have quad racks but it reduces manoeuvrability of the fighters and hence are not suitable for dog fights. Americans do not believe in dog fights and guns.
Their concept is simple use highly networked warfare with force multipliers like AWACS, Sensor fusion from various sources and use stand off weapons like longer range BVRs fire and scoot/leave. They don't believe in manoeuvrability, look at F35s.

Image is right. They do have quad racks but it reduces manoeuvrability of the fighters and hence are not suitable for dog fights. Americans do not believe in dog fights and guns.
Their concept is simple use highly networked warfare with force multipliers like AWACS, Sensor fusion from various sources and use stand off weapons like longer range BVRs fire and scoot/leave. They don't believe in manoeuvrability, look at F35s.
To do that they first take care of the Air Defense systems / Jamming of Ground Based Radars. Then these missile trucks can be deployed.

F15 is not a dog fighter, its an air superiority fighter. It shoots its enemy at longe range, for close combat USAF used to assign f16.