LCA Tejas Mk1 & Mk1A - News and discussions

That should have been the case because although 10 trainers are from 83 order , all the 18 trainers will be of same standards.

The real mk1a standard are only the 73 single seaters. So Mk1a rollout in Feb 2024 should mean mk1a single seater.

As for how long it takes for trainers getting delivered, I am hopeful of atleast 8 getting delivered by 2024 March.

Mk1A delivery is only for 3. There's plenty of production capacity to deliver all 18 trainers before the first Mk1A squadron is fully equipped.

Well we do not have the current Q3 update yet, but in November call HAL explained delivery schedule as below, now of course there can be some changes here & there which is expected. There is a delivery schedule they are committed to, failing which tough penalty is awarded so schedule is usually kept.
One thing also , the mk1a test beds, those need to fly 1-1.5yrs itself with all systems onboard despite those being on FOC jets. So the execution of mk1a 73 orders will start from february 2024, ie towards the end of FY24. First delivery is 3 jets, then picks up from next FY cycle 16 per annum.

hal05.png

hal01.png

hal02.png

hal03.png

hal04.png

Well we do not have the current Q3 update yet, but in November call HAL explained delivery schedule as below, now of course there can be some changes here & there which is expected. There is a delivery schedule they are committed to, failing which tough penalty is awarded so schedule is usually kept.
One thing also , the mk1a test beds, those need to fly 1-1.5yrs itself with all systems onboard despite those being on FOC jets. So the execution of mk1a 73 orders will start from february 2024, ie towards the end of FY24. First delivery is 3 jets, then picks up from next FY cycle 16 per annum.

View attachment 26570

View attachment 26566
View attachment 26567
View attachment 26568
View attachment 26569

With 2 FOC and 4 trainers this year and 4 next year alongside 3 Mk1As, I guess half the production capacity will be unused over the next 2 years. That's unfortunate. As long as the 50 additional aircraft can allow a 3rd line, which I believe is being built, it can more than make up for the difference.

Third line is conditional . It won't be set up without the IAF confirming additional orders now or within a year besides setting a deadline of say 2029 - the third line won't be activated . I mean what's the incentive or otherwise for the IAF to set up a third line & incur costs if delivery schedules are relaxed.

All of which goes to show HAL can deliver 25 nos / yr even with Mk-2 which effectively means once production details & kinks are ironed out , they can go full stream ahead & deliver 108 by 2035-36 if not earlier . I think once production of the Mk-2 commences between 2028-30 , they need to launch a marketing blitzkrieg . We need a good amount of exports to feed this line. Hopefully IAF sticks to it's original commitment of 200 nos .

Reactions: marich01
With 2 FOC and 4 trainers this year and 4 next year alongside 3 Mk1As, I guess half the production capacity will be unused over the next 2 years. That's unfortunate. As long as the 50 additional aircraft can allow a 3rd line, which I believe is being built, it can more than make up for the difference.
Half of what? i thought the lines will be directed to mk1a after completing the trainers. FOC were already completed & out of the line, now for the past 3 months they were making trainers only.

Third line is conditional . It won't be set up without the IAF confirming additional orders now or within a year besides setting a deadline of say 2029 - the third line won't be activated . I mean what's the incentive or otherwise for the IAF to set up a third line & incur costs if delivery schedules are relaxed.

All of which goes to show HAL can deliver 25 nos / yr even with Mk-2 which effectively means once production details & kinks are ironed out , they can go full stream ahead & deliver 108 by 2035-36 if not earlier . I think once production of the Mk-2 commences between 2028-30 , they need to launch a marketing blitzkrieg . We need a good amount of exports to feed this line. Hopefully IAF sticks to it's original commitment of 200 nos .
For Mk2 Nashik line can be used too. That's a big facility. I can guarantee that if enough orders placed that line alone can assemble like 18 fighters a year.

For Mk2 Nashik line can be used too. That's a big facility. I can guarantee that if enough orders placed that line alone can assemble like 18 fighters a year.
Pls don't give RST ideas . He's already activated a third line . You suggest Nashik too for Mk-2 & before you know it , we'd be swamped with posts that HAL can deliver 43 FA / yr . Which effectively means they can polish off 108 FAs in 2.5 yrs .

Pls don't give RST ideas . He's already activated a third line . You suggest Nashik too for Mk-2 & before you know it , we'd be swamped with posts that HAL can deliver 43 FA / yr . Which effectively means they can polish off 108 FAs in 2.5 yrs .

I am secretly rooting for HLFT 42 from Nashik line.. After HTT 40 from there..

There will be 02 assembly lines for HTT40.
🤣

Reactions: Abheer and Sathya
The latter would come from Nashik. Frankly the HLFT-42 is a bit of mystery to me. It's not an IAF project but the IAF would definitely buy a couple of squadrons if not more or to be more precise would be forced to buy, to boost it's export prospects.

Then again the original idea behind it's development was to design a LIFT with secondary FA capabilities given the cost of the Mk-1 was high as it wasn't a LIFT to begin with but a pure FA which was to have been downgraded to get a LIFT out of it - pun totally unintended. However, the configuration seems to suggest the opposite.

I suspect HAL is trying to build up it's design capabilities going ahead. What better way to do so than work with an existing design they're all too familiar with? Once they've accomplished their mission, they'd come up with a downgraded LIFT version.

Otherwise how many LIFTs comes with FBW FCS or AESA radars though KAI is offering the latter to Malaysia based on their specifications. No idea if the former is part of the package.

Reactions: Abheer and Sathya
Half of what? i thought the lines will be directed to mk1a after completing the trainers. FOC were already completed & out of the line, now for the past 3 months they were making trainers only.

The second line has been operational since Feb last year.

Another advantage with the 2 lines set up is they can expand the 8pa lines to 12pa each. This will be based on more IAF orders or an export order.

Reactions: Abheer and marich01

HAL plans to set up a 3rd LCA Mk1A line in Nashik. It will be 5pa.

So 8 + 8 + 3 + 5, with the ability to increase the first 2 by another 8 in total. That's 24-32pa at peak. It's currently at 19.

Article from 2018:
HAL CMD R Madhavan, on Friday said: “While the repair and overhauling work at Nashik will still be there, it is true that a section of those workers will have no work. So we’ve decided to start a third LCA line at Nashik.”

Pretty good clue here:
"It will take us about five years to complete the order. But we have set a three-year target. We are also setting up facility for trainer (aircraft) assembly," he said, adding that the focus will be on first supplying the trainer jets.

Although HAL has pushed for AMCA assembly in Nashik, I suppose IAF will stick with their own base in Sulur, at least we know both Mk1A and Mk2 will be assembled there for now.

Damn that's fast.

900 TRM instead of 700..

As in Mk2, seems like optimized the space available.. With either improved power / cooling..

Maybe the reason for additional 50 Mk1A.

This was always expected, once people learnt that Uttam Mk1 is larger than Uttam Mk2 but has fewer TRMs. Mk2 is simply far more optimised.