Kolkata-class and Visakhapatnam-class Destroyers: News & Discussions

IMG_2725.jpeg

Why the different caps for Barak 8?

Reactions: D68 and Fatalis
MDL delivered the first ship of P-15B in 2021 followed by the second in 2022. The third ship, christened ‘Imphal’ is currently undergoing sea trials and MDL is set to deliver the third ship of P-15B in September-October of 2023, this is 4-5 months before the contracted date. The fourth and last ship of the class, christened ‘Surat’ is scheduled to be delivered in the middle of next year (2024).[b/]

Reactions: Gautam
Four ships of the Visakhapatnam class guided missile destroyers are a follow-on to the Kolkata class, three warships of which were commissioned between 2014 and 2016. Each ship took more than 10 years from keel-laying to commissioning.

The INS Visakhapatnam took eight years to make. The next ship of the class, INS Murmagao, was commissioned within seven years. The remaining two, Imphal and Surat, have both been launched at sea and are targeted to be commissioned within six years of keel-laying.

Commodore Nair says, “Integrated construction is being applied for Survey Vessel Large, and Anti-Submarine Shallow Water Crafts.” The next generation offshore patrol vessels will be executed with the same technology, he adds.

Reactions: Gautam
I quote a very senior member another forum " The rumour mill is that four follow-on P-15B (perhaps will be called P-15C ?) destroyers will be ordered, till the keel of the first P-18 NGD (Next Generation Destroyer) is laid. Let's see what happens." unquote.
Hoping for the best

I quote a very senior member another forum " The rumour mill is that four follow-on P-15B (perhaps will be called P-15C ?) destroyers will be ordered, till the keel of the first P-18 NGD (Next Generation Destroyer) is laid. Let's see what happens." unquote.
Hoping for the best
I doubt that will happen. First, the issue of Zorya turbine availability. Another is we are already going with 8 additional P-17B frigates.

Hoping for the best
Better to order more P-17s.